Website
www.youtube.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Texas, Arkansas, Alaska
I posted the story of my spring bear hunt earlier but the pictures were making it slow to work.

To keep things more reasonable I'll post the video link here (hopefully it works).

Anyway I thought some of the folks interested in bear hunting would enjoy it. During the slow days I've got a lot of enjoyment out of other people's stories here so its my attempt at returning the favor.

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 8.55.05 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
great video, and Congratulations!

The two of you will remember this hunt for the rest of your lives. How old is your son, what caliber rifle did he use?

Well done and Congrats!!

Great job!! He'll remember that first bear all of his life. Thanks for sharing with us.
Bruce

Congratulations Corey! A fine bear for a tenacious young hunter! I’ll be waiting to see what’s next!

Shootist43 he used a 308 Ruger Scout Rifle with a suppressor on it. Corey was 13 at the time of this hunt (now 14). He is actually not mine but how he became part of my life is sort of a crazy story.

The backstory is here, Bears, Fires, Glaciers & "Becoming a Man" in Alaska (I codenamed him "Cody" for that one but they are fine with the vidoe being out so real name is okay). The short version is that Corey started out as a friend of two other boys who adopted me as their "uncle" after I taught them to shoot and hunt. Over time I noticed Corey would sort of gravitate to me when I was around. He'd always manage to sit next to me, he tease me to get attention etc. Eventually someone pointed out he probably liked having an adult male role model. Oh yeah "duh" sometimes I'm slow to catch things. Anyway I invited him to go hunting and he loved it.

The funny thing is Corey is a video game kid. I don't think he'd ever done much outside, but once he had the chance he sort of blossomed. He loved shooting, hunting, mountain biking and pretty much anything outside.

Anyway the lesson I learned was that it pays to be open to taking people out and introducing them to the outdoors. They might discover a whole new passion.

Shootist43 he used a 308 Ruger Scout Rifle with a suppressor on it. Corey was 13 at the time of this hunt (now 14). He is actually not mine but how he became part of my life is sort of a crazy story.

The backstory is here, Bears, Fires, Glaciers & "Becoming a Man" in Alaska (I codenamed him "Cody" for that one but they are fine with the vidoe being out so real name is okay). The short version is that Corey started out as a friend of two other boys who adopted me as their "uncle" after I taught them to shoot and hunt. Over time I noticed Corey would sort of gravitate to me when I was around. He'd always manage to sit next to me, he tease me to get attention etc. Eventually someone pointed out he probably liked having an adult male role model. Oh yeah "duh" sometimes I'm slow to catch things. Anyway I invited him to go hunting and he loved it.

The funny thing is Corey is a video game kid. I don't think he'd ever done much outside, but once he had the chance he sort of blossomed. He loved shooting, hunting, mountain biking and pretty much anything outside.

Anyway the lesson I learned was that it pays to be open to taking people out and introducing them to the outdoors. They might discover a whole new passion.
Thank you for taking the young man hunting. You have done a great thing for his life both now and in the future. Someone did that for me almost 50 years ago and I Haven’t stopped.

You are to be commended for not only what you mean to this young man, but for what he will become. Your sharing of the outdoors with him is a treasured gift.

I love being known as Uncle Morty to so many young boys, now men. I too have shared the outdoors, taken hunting, fixed countless game dinners, and shared hundreds of tales of hunting and fishing trips while piled up in my trophy room. You know you have reached the pinnacle of understanding of what it is to be a sportsman and conservationist when you had rather see a young boy/man shoot his first deer/duck/turkey/kudu/etc than take one yourself. Kudos @ Alaska Like!

Congratulations Corey and Luke.

A hunters is born.
We need more of them.

Great story - very well done and congrats to both of you! Thanks for sharing the video!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.