USA: A Hunt Report On A Life Long Dream Come True... My Alaskan Dall Sheep Hunt

Just read this since it got bumped back to the top - great stuff and a really nice looking ram!! Did you go on your Stone sheep hunt?

@cagkt3

I did actually have a successful Stone’s Sheep hunt in the Cassiar Mountains of BC this past September. I’ve got to get on with writing up a hunt report. Probably the hardest hunt I’ve had to date, but a very rewarding one. Nasty weather, late in the season for the outfitter. But we got it done, and I managed to take a nice Stone ram of 10 years of age.

After both my Dall and Stone Sheep hunts, I’ve said that it was probably my last, but after a time of reflection, I find myself dreaming of the mountains again and wondering if I can do it one more time. So.....in a few years, I’ll probably be looking at pursuing one of the bighorn sheep (Desert or Rocky Mountain).

I also need to get around to writing up a hunt report for my Alaska-Yukon moose hunt I took in September of 2016 in the Mackenzie Mountains of the Northwest Territories. Quiet the adventure....

IMG_2746.JPG

Congrats, nice looking rams. Getting your Dall was certainly an adventure. It's true that shooting it is the easy part.

@cagkt3

I did actually have a successful Stone’s Sheep hunt in the Cassiar Mountains of BC this past September. I’ve got to get on with writing up a hunt report. Probably the hardest hunt I’ve had to date, but a very rewarding one. Nasty weather, late in the season for the outfitter. But we got it done, and I managed to take a nice Stone ram of 10 years of age.

After both my Dall and Stone Sheep hunts, I’ve said that it was probably my last, but after a time of reflection, I find myself dreaming of the mountains again and wondering if I can do it one more time. So.....in a few years, I’ll probably be looking at pursuing one of the bighorn sheep (Desert or Rocky Mountain).

I also need to get around to writing up a hunt report for my Alaska-Yukon moose hunt I took in September of 2016 in the Mackenzie Mountains of the Northwest Territories. Quiet the adventure....

View attachment 214688
Wow, fantastic! I say you keep going since you're batting 1.000!

I am glad this got bumped. I have been dreaming of a dall hunt my entire life. Recently thinking about making it a reality. Hard to spend the money but it's not too much more than my upcoming buff hunt. Thanks for the write up, it probably just cost me $25k lol

Thanks for the write up, it probably just cost me $25k lol

No problem! I always enjoy spending other people's money......:LOL:

In all seriousness, it is an experience of a lifetime. I would recommend interviewing several outfitters and seeing which one seems to be a good fit. These hunts are a lot of money, and the outfitter can certainly make or break your hunt (as with every outfitted hunt). The biggest rams seem to consistently come from the Mackenzie Mountains (NWT) of Canada. If you want to go there, there are a limited number of outfitters. The concessions are huge. Expect to pay more than say an Alaska hunt in an average unit. $25K is probably about right for those guys. I personally can recommend Stan Stevens (Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters). I did not hunt sheep with Stan, but did hunt Alaska -Yukon Moose, and Mountain Caribou. His outfit is top notch, and his clients kill some great rams every year. I was in camp with a few moose hunters that were repeat clients of Stan's, and hunted sheep with him. Stan is old school (cut your finger off and you keep hunting kind of guy), and he's not gonna baby you, but his guides are really good and will get you on some phenomenal rams if you can put the "boot work" in to get to them....

A few others I've personally heard good things about are Arctic Red River Outfitters (Donald Trump Jr. hunted with them a couple years ago for his Dall) and Gana River Outfitters in the NWT. All good guys I think....

Alaska can be more of a crap shoot, and you need to do your homework. The regulations for non-residents has changed recently. If you want the potential of killing a true monster, it doesn't get any better than the limited entry/draw units in the Chugach range of AK. But it takes a while, and for Alaska hunts, it is on the expensive side. The Brooks Range is populated with more "average" rams I've heard, and the terrain is a little different. I chose the outfitter in the Alaska range, and overall I'm happy I did. They kill mainly average rams. If you watched the last season of the television show "Sheep Shape", Rick Carrone hunted with the same guys I did, and was guided by their head guide Spencer Pape. I was guided by another fellow, but they're all good. They take some good rams every year, but most average in measurements......

Good luck, and when you finish your Dall sheep hunt, and need a recommendation for a Stone's Sheep outfitter, let me know......:sneaky:

This is a really cool video about Arctic Red River Outfitters in the NWT produced by Yeti Coolers (love all their videos)....It should get you psyched up about a potential Dall hunt...

And this is a video of Stan Stevens (Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters), with narration by Stan's son Glenn, and Stan (hell of a guy, and a tough son of a gun). Another great video...

Last edited:
I also missed that report, congrats for a great adventure, you really deserved your sheep.

Great story! Well written. Beautiful rams, congrats. Reminds me a lot of my dall hunt years ago. It’s truly addicting. Good luck on completing your slam.
If you ever draw a tag in Colorado give me a call.
Steve

I feel like I missed the report, or didn't put two and two together! Great Ram! Great Rams!! Congratulations. Sheep hunting is a terrible terrible addiction. When's the Bighorn/Desert hunt?

@cagkt3

View attachment 214688

Great report And congrats on your well deserved trophies.

Chop chop on those other reports! While I'm stuck in my no-hunting purgatory of Korea, I enjoy reading reports from all over- not just africa.

Enjoyed your report. Congrats on the sheep, awesome animals for sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elkreaper17

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois