www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
So every now and then I am blessed to get to do something really special. My wife’s best friend has a son who in a lot of ways has had a rough go. They are spending Christmas with us and I made it my mission to get the young man a nice whitetail. 3 years ago for Christmas I gave him a cull exotics hunt and it sparked a passion you can’t believe in him. Every since then that’s all he’s wanted to do is hunt but doesn’t have the opportunity to unless I can take him. That’s a rarity with my schedule but we designed our Christmas Holiday together so I could make that happen.
Last night my son took him out and he killed a nice little feral pig while I took his mom and got her a doe.
This morning we were up bright and early. And saw several deer on a turnip patch we have but no shooters. I was about to call it for the morning when I saw a deer on a field north of us walk up out of the creek bottom about a 1/4 mile. I glassed and could tell it was a fantastic management buck. (thank you @Royal27 for the binos!!!!).
Well we made a long stalk and had to belly crawl through about 150 yards of stickers but we got to about 150 yards and the young man put the hammer down on this deer with my 6.5. Very well done. He was so excited I had to spend a bit of time calming him down so he could shoot but he did a fantastic job.
83EE079B-A251-47FA-8F2B-F53A25682864.jpeg

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Great stuff I love nothing more than helping kids hunt their first animal and give them a bush experience with some tracking and bush craft in the mix. Only way to ensure the future of hunting...well done...

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Helping a youngster take his first buck (and knowing all the while that it won't be his last) brings its own special joy.

Mort Hill

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
SA, Zambia, Tanzania
@gizmo, everything I read from you, or about you, makes me realize you are a very special person with a very big heart! Blessings to you and your family during this Christmas season!

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
@gizmo, everything I read from you, or about you, makes me realize you are a very special person with a very big heart! Blessings to you and your family during this Christmas season!
Thank you but you give me too much credit. I think those on here that know me would say I’m “special” alright.
in all seriousness I do very much appreciate your kind words. Getting people involved in the outdoors is extremely important to me. These youngsters are the next generation and it’s so important to get them excited about our lifestyle. They are our future.

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
Awesome! That's a great buck with good mass! Congrats to the young fella and kudos to you Mr. Grimland. Was the cull hunt he had 3 years ago for a black Hawaiian ram? I think he looks familiar, but older in one of your past pics on here.

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Very nice. Sounds like he had an awesome hunt. Well done and congrats.
Bruce

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Good on you! What could be a better Christmas present for a young man and hunter (or I suspect, if truth be told, for a ranch owner in North Texas). Really well done.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Awesome! That's a great buck with good mass! Congrats to the young fella and kudos to you Mr. Grimland. Was the cull hunt he had 3 years ago for a black Hawaiian ram? I think he looks familiar, but older in one of your past pics on here.
Yessir it was

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Good on you! What could be a better Christmas present for a young man and hunter (or I suspect, if truth be told, for a ranch owner in North Texas). Really well done.
Absolutely correct. That was the best Christmas present ever.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
You and Justin did a great job with the two hunts for my granddaughter! She mentions it often. Her first mule deer and her first exotics.
Thanks to both of you!

John Camp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Mexico, Georgia, California, Missouri, Tennessee, Iowa, Idaho
Great story and just in time for Christmas. That is also a great buck, certainly for his first. I really love that he had to work for it - closing the distance with a belly crawl through briars builds character.

Mark Biggerstaff

Silver supporter
Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Congratulations to the young man! Good job Erik getting him a a great first buck!

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Heck of a first deer, congrats to all!

Rafter JK

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
Rockin G Ranch LLC
Hunted
North America, Mexico
The only thing wrong with his hunt is I missed it!!! That young man is just a quality individual. Talented beyond measure at everything he tries, always smiling, always in a good mood. I’m so proud of all of our ranch kids, once they hunt with us, that’s what they become, our ranch kids. One of the things I am most thankful for is having the opportunity to share our passion of the outdoors with young hunters. Anytime I get the chance to help a young hunter with that first big game animal is something that I truly love. To be a small part of that journey is probably the coolest thing ever. Planning it with the adult, meeting the youngster for the first time, the rifle range, the stalk, the shot, watching the eyes light up on the kid, watching the eyes mist up on the parent or grandparent......all of it just gives me the greatest sense of accomplishment. Getting to be a very small part of that process just makes the world slow down a bit and brings to light how significant that exact moment is in that young person’s life, how significant the life of the animal harvested is, and just how blessed I am for getting to do what I do. Thank you to all of you who have given us the honor and privilege of being on your kids/grandkids first hunt.

Randy F

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US and South Africa
Well done and congrats to the young man on his deer!

Well done and thanks to you for keeping it all going by introducing and encouraging young people to the excitement of hunting ethically and responsibly!

We need more like you.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Awesomeness!!!

Glad it worked out so well. It's a really great thing you've been able to do Erik.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EHDJohnnie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh