Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
So every now and then I am blessed to get to do something really special. My wife’s best friend has a son who in a lot of ways has had a rough go. They are spending Christmas with us and I made it my mission to get the young man a nice whitetail. 3 years ago for Christmas I gave him a cull exotics hunt and it sparked a passion you can’t believe in him. Every since then that’s all he’s wanted to do is hunt but doesn’t have the opportunity to unless I can take him. That’s a rarity with my schedule but we designed our Christmas Holiday together so I could make that happen.
Last night my son took him out and he killed a nice little feral pig while I took his mom and got her a doe.
This morning we were up bright and early. And saw several deer on a turnip patch we have but no shooters. I was about to call it for the morning when I saw a deer on a field north of us walk up out of the creek bottom about a 1/4 mile. I glassed and could tell it was a fantastic management buck. (thank you @Royal27 for the binos!!!!).
Well we made a long stalk and had to belly crawl through about 150 yards of stickers but we got to about 150 yards and the young man put the hammer down on this deer with my 6.5. Very well done. He was so excited I had to spend a bit of time calming him down so he could shoot but he did a fantastic job.
83EE079B-A251-47FA-8F2B-F53A25682864.jpeg

Great stuff I love nothing more than helping kids hunt their first animal and give them a bush experience with some tracking and bush craft in the mix. Only way to ensure the future of hunting...well done...

Helping a youngster take his first buck (and knowing all the while that it won't be his last) brings its own special joy.

@gizmo, everything I read from you, or about you, makes me realize you are a very special person with a very big heart! Blessings to you and your family during this Christmas season!

@gizmo, everything I read from you, or about you, makes me realize you are a very special person with a very big heart! Blessings to you and your family during this Christmas season!
Thank you but you give me too much credit. I think those on here that know me would say I’m “special” alright.
in all seriousness I do very much appreciate your kind words. Getting people involved in the outdoors is extremely important to me. These youngsters are the next generation and it’s so important to get them excited about our lifestyle. They are our future.

Special is correct. All BS aside, good for u, old softy. . Happy ho ho day to all

Awesome! That's a great buck with good mass! Congrats to the young fella and kudos to you Mr. Grimland. Was the cull hunt he had 3 years ago for a black Hawaiian ram? I think he looks familiar, but older in one of your past pics on here.

Very nice. Sounds like he had an awesome hunt. Well done and congrats.
Bruce

Good on you! What could be a better Christmas present for a young man and hunter (or I suspect, if truth be told, for a ranch owner in North Texas). Really well done.

Awesome! That's a great buck with good mass! Congrats to the young fella and kudos to you Mr. Grimland. Was the cull hunt he had 3 years ago for a black Hawaiian ram? I think he looks familiar, but older in one of your past pics on here.
Yessir it was

Good on you! What could be a better Christmas present for a young man and hunter (or I suspect, if truth be told, for a ranch owner in North Texas). Really well done.
Absolutely correct. That was the best Christmas present ever.

You and Justin did a great job with the two hunts for my granddaughter! She mentions it often. Her first mule deer and her first exotics.
Thanks to both of you!

Great story and just in time for Christmas. That is also a great buck, certainly for his first. I really love that he had to work for it - closing the distance with a belly crawl through briars builds character.

Congratulations to the young man! Good job Erik getting him a a great first buck!

Heck of a first deer, congrats to all!

The only thing wrong with his hunt is I missed it!!! That young man is just a quality individual. Talented beyond measure at everything he tries, always smiling, always in a good mood. I’m so proud of all of our ranch kids, once they hunt with us, that’s what they become, our ranch kids. One of the things I am most thankful for is having the opportunity to share our passion of the outdoors with young hunters. Anytime I get the chance to help a young hunter with that first big game animal is something that I truly love. To be a small part of that journey is probably the coolest thing ever. Planning it with the adult, meeting the youngster for the first time, the rifle range, the stalk, the shot, watching the eyes light up on the kid, watching the eyes mist up on the parent or grandparent......all of it just gives me the greatest sense of accomplishment. Getting to be a very small part of that process just makes the world slow down a bit and brings to light how significant that exact moment is in that young person’s life, how significant the life of the animal harvested is, and just how blessed I am for getting to do what I do. Thank you to all of you who have given us the honor and privilege of being on your kids/grandkids first hunt.

Well done and congrats to the young man on his deer!

Well done and thanks to you for keeping it all going by introducing and encouraging young people to the excitement of hunting ethically and responsibly!

We need more like you.

Awesomeness!!!

Glad it worked out so well. It's a really great thing you've been able to do Erik.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross