US Travel Bans/Restrictions South Africa

I wouldn't wait until I was at the airport ready to board. I'd get it in the required time frame, well ahead of departure. A positive test requires ten days quarantine at your own cost but doesn't say where. If it was at one of the airport hotels, it would just mean more expense, albeit one that would be boring at best.

Yup...just an option if someone is desperate and out of options :E Shrug: :E Big Grin:

Flying 1st June for a month hope they shut the borders back to Iceland or Germany around the 25th - time to get another hunt in when I am on the ground ;-)

Told my PA today all booked for Africa 1st June - she said when you back - Said 30th - she said "June " - still waiting for an answer !

Friendly reminder as people are worried about PCR test issues ready for travel, there is another pain the ass on the forefront. Most of the African countries require six months left before expiration of your passport to enter. The US government’s passport renewal, even with expedite service, is running 6 weeks, regular service is 12 weeks. There are no walk in appointments. Unlike last year, you cannot book a flight And just show up at the passport agency 72 hours before departure. Unlike prior years, you cannot drop $400 on the counter and get a passport in 2 days by paying outrageous surcharges and fees.

Check your passport expirations!

Friendly reminder as people are worried about PCR test issues ready for travel, there is another pain the ass on the forefront. Most of the African countries require six months left before expiration of your passport to enter. The US government’s passport renewal, even with expedite service, is running 6 weeks, regular service is 12 weeks. There are no walk in appointments. Unlike last year, you cannot book a flight And just show up at the passport agency 72 hours before departure. Unlike prior years, you cannot drop $400 on the counter and get a passport in 2 days by paying outrageous surcharges and fees.

IIRC, last year it took six or more months to renew.

Renewed mine last year in prep for trip that got canceled 12 days prior to leaving

Qatar canceled our June flights into and out of Botswana. That trip is in jeopardy now. Lori is working on other options, something we can afford, but it's not looking good. I'm not willing, or able, to start paying for hotels on lonnnnnggggg layovers in Frankfurt or London, plus the higher ticket price, then paying for the second piece of luggage and your reserved seat.
Qatar has also canceled all its routes into Namibia. That really stinks.

Last edited:
Qatar canceled our June flights into and out of Botswana. That trip is in jeopardy now. Lori is working on other options, something we can afford, but it's not looking good. I'm not willing, or able, to start paying for hotels on lonnnnnggggg layovers in Frankfurt or London, plus the higher ticket price, then paying for the second piece of luggage and your reserved seat.
Qatar has also canceled all its routes into Namibia. That really stinks.
AFAIK, Qatar is still flying to Joburg. Can you fly there and then catch another flight to Botswana?

I think airlink is still flying into kasane and maun out of Johannesburg on limited days so that might still be an option for you. Flight costs weren't horrible but then you have all of the covid test restrictions that come into play for multiple countries. We scrapped going into Botswana and Zimbabwe for our June trip and moved that to a second trip for next year. We figured it will be a hell of a lot easier to go to one country, south Africa this year, than it would be to try and hit all 3 like we had originally planned for. I am excited though because I now to get to go back again next year as well but not too excited about the additional costs that will now pile up. But it's just money, I'll just work hard to make more the best I can.

There are ways to get in and out of the country, but the more variables, the higher the costs. My daughter is paying her half on this one and waiting tables while in college, during COVID, is not the most lucrative of jobs. Even in my job, the overtime is just about non-existent. Like everyone else these days, money is tighter than usual.

Looking at Ethiopian Air, combined with AirLink. Prices are good, PH recommends them.
Any experience from AH members flying Ethiopian? Traveling with 2 pieces of Checked Luggage, bows only, NO firearms.

Looking at Ethiopian Air, combined with AirLink. Prices are good, PH recommends them.
Any experience from AH members flying Ethiopian? Traveling with 2 pieces of Checked Luggage, bows only, NO firearms.

I have not flown Ethiopian, but upon recommendation of TWG, and due to pricing and schedule, am flying to Zim in May on them. Talked to several folks and none had anything bad to say about them.

@Mort Hill .

I flew Ethiopian once and I would also reccomend them as an alternative!

I've flown Ethiopian many times, no issues at all, they even paid for a hotel room and 2 meal vouchers for me when I had a layover in Addis one time.

Another somewhat unconventional method of travel might be the smaller scenic flight/ bush camp flying companies. They usually have plenty of pilots itching to get some hours in, and sometimes have planes/pilots in random places for licensing/maintenance etc. They're probably just as strapped for cash as anyone else in the tourist industry right now so maybe they'd work out a deal?

Youd obviously still have to clear customs, do firearms paperwork, etc... But if getting from JoBerg or one of the major hubs to your next destination (Zim, Namibia, Zambia,....) is the issue, IDK maybe it could work?

Bit pricier, Bit bumpier flight, but hey if it works it works right?

I am taking Qatar to JNB and then SA Airlink to Maun. One bad thing is that Airlink charges $8 per pound for luggage over 30kg. Ouch!

Last edited:
I am taking Qatar to JNB and then SA Airlink to Maun. One bad thing is that Airlink charges $8 per pound for luggage over 30kg. Ouch!
That's like 66 lbs, most check on has to be under 50 lbs, so we'll be fine.

On a second look, people with sporting goods (guns included) get an extra 15kg allowance on Airlink but there is another $20 charge for a rifle case. A PDF of baggage policies can be downloaded from the website.

That's like 66 lbs, most check on has to be under 50 lbs, so we'll be fine.
That's 30kg total per person for 1st or business class and only 20kg total per person for economy, not per bag. If you pack light since you are not taking guns, you might make it. Carry-on limit is an additional 8kg with one bag for economy and two for 1st and business class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg