US Travel Bans/Restrictions South Africa

I am not sure why the lack of a direct flight is that big of a deal. Obviously, direct is nice but between Delta code share with BA, KLM and Air France; getting to JNB is still pretty damn easy. I am booked to pass through in March (via AMS) and have heard nothing of a cancellation.
Every connection is an opportunity for a kerfuffle. BTDT with two of your mentioned carriers.

Lori, God Bless Her Hart,
Is processing our refund. She has rebooked us on Emirates Airlines through Dubai Airport.
And My fearless Bride and Cape Buffalo hunting companion upgraded our seats from Delta premium select to Business Class....In the immortal words of Papa Hemingway..."

“Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.”

Yep can’t saw anything but good things about Lori. Processing our refund for Delta and rebooking on Qatar! Let the countdown continue!!

Ok have read whole thing...but couldn't see any reference to arriving from overseas....as it's your first point of reentry to usa you surely will have to go through immigration and customs...then re check in...that's the part I am trying to understand, and nothing about that I could see in those regulations...if I am being thick then sorry ...but any country I have arrived in you clear immigration and customs at airport of arrival, then recheck your luggage and yourself in after ...
This conversation relates only to sporting firearms in transit as checked baggage through an Airport other than the departure or final arrival airport. In this case Newark. Handguns and certain ammunition are restricted in New Jersey and this is where issues have occurred.

I get as confused about the South African regulations and way of doing things as you are in regard to this issue. There are no silly questions when it comes to regulations.

When returning from overseas most all passengers clear customs at their first point of entry into the United states. Typically, their bags are checked though to their final destination and location such as Newark, Atlanta, Chicago and such are connection hubs for their onward journey.

Upon arrival you collect your baggage and firearms and clear customs/immigration. As you exit there is a transit counter where your baggage is collected and sent on to your destination. You are not possessing your firearms outside of the TSA security and are continuing, uninterrupted, your interstate travel plans.

If you checked your bags to Newark and walk out past TSA into the Terminal, you are no longer in Interstate transportation of your firearms. Now there could be an argument that you are heading straight to your vehicle and driving back home to Connecticut and that is a continuation of Interstate transportation. That is where the discretion of the officer, if you are discovered, would come into play.

Even though I looked at flying into Newark and taking a Limo over to JKF to catch Emirates, I did not look deeply into this scenario. The transfer seems to be legal however it is open for interpretation and it was not worth the bother getting clarification fo NJ Port Authority as the Untied option presented itself.

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

My flight on Delta is scheduled for departure on May 22 and as of right now it is still showing active/available and not cancelled. Where are you all seeing that flights are cancelled through end of May? Everything I see doesn’t show that they are cancelled.

Never mind, just looked at tickets on delta website and the flights are cancelled. Maybe October....

1869230E-5643-4CA5-A8A5-D47EA6CEDF02.png

This conversation relates only to sporting firearms in transit as checked baggage through an Airport other than the departure or final arrival airport. In this case Newark. Handguns and certain ammunition are restricted in New Jersey and this is where issues have occurred.

I get as confused about the South African regulations and way of doing things as you are in regard to this issue. There are no silly questions when it comes to regulations.

When returning from overseas most all passengers clear customs at their first point of entry into the United states. Typically, their bags are checked though to their final destination and location such as Newark, Atlanta, Chicago and such are connection hubs for their onward journey.

Upon arrival you collect your baggage and firearms and clear customs/immigration. As you exit there is a transit counter where your baggage is collected and sent on to your destination. You are not possessing your firearms outside of the TSA security and are continuing, uninterrupted, your interstate travel plans.

If you checked your bags to Newark and walk out past TSA into the Terminal, you are no longer in Interstate transportation of your firearms. Now there could be an argument that you are heading straight to your vehicle and driving back home to Connecticut and that is a continuation of Interstate transportation. That is where the discretion of the officer, if you are discovered, would come into play.

Even though I looked at flying into Newark and taking a Limo over to JKF to catch Emirates, I did not look deeply into this scenario. The transfer seems to be legal however it is open for interpretation and it was not worth the bother getting clarification fo NJ Port Authority as the Untied option presented itself.

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Ok the way it was put I thought Newark was the airport of international arrival, not an internal transit

I can't get a confirmation on this. I hear different answers. Upon arrival back into the States from South Africa, is there a mandatory two week self quarantine? I have 17 days between my arrival home from SA and my trip to Botswana

Just saw this from feb 3rd

IMG-20210204-WA0031.jpg

We are flying South African Airways JFK-JNB mid-May. So far, no news from them about problems.

I have a hunt scheduled in June this year. My airfare is refundable and can be changed without a fee. I am seriously thinking about cancelling the trip with everything going on. I have no idea on how the logistics of getting a COVID test in RSA would entail.

I have a hunt scheduled in June this year. My airfare is refundable and can be changed without a fee. I am seriously thinking about cancelling the trip with everything going on. I have no idea on how the logistics of getting a COVID test in RSA would entail.

Your PH should have all that arranged for you.
Mine has told me no problem, only 1 hour drive from base camp and he will take care of making sure I have all needed paperwork for return.

No problem getting tested in SA. Ask your outfitter, they should already have plans in place.

Do not cancel logistics of getting Covid test is easy to do before your flight talk with you oufitter he will give you options. Less hassle than the temporary firearm permit.

Every connection is an opportunity for a kerfuffle. BTDT with two of your mentioned carriers.
Are there potential issues with firearms in particular through Amsterdam? Or is the concern just the normal "luggage might get lost" type of things that come up during travel?

I am looking at heading over in mid/late May and the ATL-AMS-JNB route is what I am most likely looking at. I am willing to roll the dice on stuff getting lost, just don't want guns seized or run into paperwork issues in Amsterdam.

Seems like ATL-AMS-JNB or ATL-CDG-JNB are going to be my options, wondering which is the easiest to get through. The biggest issue with CDG I've had in previous travel is the french decide to go on strike a lot!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross