US Travel Bans/Restrictions South Africa

Yep, Delta just folded their JNB tent. I guess with another bailout looming, they can get by for another round... just half-assn' it. So on to Qatar or Ethiopian. Problem with Ethiopian is it would require an overnight. On Qatar, 2 layovers, one in Chicago and one in Doha. Both reasonable at about 3 hrs with the longest flight leg about 13 hrs ...not short but beats 16. So looks like Qatar to JNB with the schedule pushed forward into May. We shall see how it goes.... I feel very fortunate in getting the 1st covid shot a few days ago with the 2nd coming up in a couple of weeks. I feel for those who haven't found a way to get it yet if they end up needing it.

I have never seen such a cluster flop about getting those inoculated who want or need to be inoculated... much less getting a relatively simple PCR test. On one hand all the bureaucrats/politicians/media idiots know how to do is tell everyone how much they care about equality and how important they are and how serious this virus is. While doing the headless chicken routine in getting the testing infrastructure operating and vaccine distributed. I remember how fast the polio vaccine was distributed. Line up at school and get shot with the compressed air powered liquid shotgun into the arm- pop ouch!, next pop ouch!, next pop ouch! .... until the whole school, grades 1-12, done in one day - probably 500-600 kids. Then the other massive vaccination was even simpler- a drop of vaccine on a sugar cube in a little paper cup. We all gathered outside the school and all 500-600 sugar cubes were distributed in about 15 minutes. History shows that it took a few years to develop the typhoid vaccine, but only two weeks to inoculate several million New Yorkers. And here we... one mask or two eh "Fauch"? But hey we can send money to Pakistan so they can study the habits of LBTQXYZs.

Last edited:
Well, fudge....good thing I read this thread. I just checked again and to confirm same as others above:
Flight from ATL to JNB is now cancelled... They'll fly me to Atlanta and I guess I just sit there until they decide to fly to JNB :LOL:
On the return flight they routed me through Amsterdam then to Atlanta

Flight is scheduled for April 18-30.

Good thing I have Travel Express for my booking - sure will help to sort this mess out.

Flight from ATL to JNB is now cancelled...
Flight from ATL to JNB is now cancelled...
Delta explains the delay in a statement,

We continue to adjust our flight schedules in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, travel restrictions and customer demand. As a result of this, we have delayed the planned restart of operations between Johannesburg and Atlanta, plus the launch of our new Cape Town service. We plan to relaunch these flights once the situation allows. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to our customers.
As with any new international route during the pandemic, the June 1 date is still subject to change. When Delta first announced its two-city South Africa service, the carrier planned to start flights on Oct. 24, 2020. It was then delayed to Jan. 8, 2021, and again to March 27, 2021.

Only time will tell whether Delta will need a fifth delay for its hotly anticipated new triangle route.

Well, fudge....good thing I read this thread. I just checked again and to confirm same as others above:
Flight from ATL to JNB is now cancelled... They'll fly me to Atlanta and I guess I just sit there until they decide to fly to JNB :LOL:

Good thing I have Travel Express for my booking - sure will help to sort this mess out.

Yep sent Lori an email yesterday. Requesting refund from Delta. She is working on flights with Qatar now. Haven’t seen itinerary yet but will have to leave a day earlier. Cost sound like it may be a little less.

My wife and I are flying almost these exact same dates. Just waiting to hear from my travel agent about which way to go now since the ATL-JNB is off the books. I hope to hear from him tomorrow, but last time I spoke with him it sounded like QATAR was the next option.

I can't get a confirmation on this. I hear different answers. Upon arrival back into the States from South Africa, is there a mandatory two week self quarantine? I have 17 days between my arrival home from SA and my trip to Botswana
No

Thanks, the best I can find is on the CDC website. They recommend a test 3-5 days after returning and self-quarantine for 7 days, but neither are required.

Also, Lori told me yesterday our Qatar flights to Botswana may be canceled for the June trip. Not sure why or if there is a 'Plan B' for getting there.

What about the new United route through Newark? Is that an option? I don't know about flying with guns through Newark. some of the stories are that it is fine, and others are that its a disaster.

I have had an August trip planned for 2 years, but haven't bought the flights yet.

What about the new United route through Newark? Is that an option? I don't know about flying with guns through Newark. some of the stories are that it is fine, and others are that its a disaster.

I have had an August trip planned for 2 years, but haven't bought the flights yet.
If United does fly, they have pushed dates to June 3, they had very good fares into JNB. Timing was better than Qatar. Also they depart JNB in the evening so if you are in Zim you can make a connection. With Delta you cannot make connection from the Falls on the same day.

As long as you do not collect your bags in Newark, you are fine to transit that airport. It is when you handle them outside of federal jurisdiction that the issues arise. If you flight is cancelled or delayed do not accept your guns.

Thanks, the best I can find is on the CDC website. They recommend a test 3-5 days after returning and self-quarantine for 7 days, but neither are required.

Also, Lori told me yesterday our Qatar flights to Botswana may be canceled for the June trip. Not sure why or if there is a 'Plan B' for getting there.
Yes she told me it looks like Qatar would cancel flights direct into Botswana but not cancel to JNB. Can take Airlink from JNB to Botswana. I would like to avoid JNB but doesn’t look possible now.

If United does fly, they have pushed dates to June 3, they had very good fares into JNB. Timing was better than Qatar. Also they depart JNB in the evening so if you are in Zim you can make a connection. With Delta you cannot make connection from the Falls on the same day.

As long as you do not collect your bags in Newark, you are fine to transit that airport. It is when you handle them outside of federal jurisdiction that the issues arise. If you flight is cancelled or delayed do not accept your guns.

Presume it would be your entry point into usa on return...so you would have to collect your bags and guns to clear customs and immigration..then recheck in for onward flight...

Presume it would be your entry point into usa on return...so you would have to collect your bags and guns to clear customs and immigration..then recheck in for onward flight...
You remain in Federal jurisdiction and are transferring your guns onward to another flight and wont go through security. If you pass through customs/immigration, go through security and then collect your bags at baggage claim and enter New Jersey jurisdiction then you have an issue. They have rules that differ from all other states. The horror stories have occurred when someone shows up to check in guns or has a cancelled flight and collects their guns and heads out the door.

A person who is transporting a firearm though the State of New Jersey in the manner permitted by person's possession 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, see Section II above, need not give notice.

Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey | New Jersey State Police Firearms Information (njsp.org)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 4.09.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 4.09.44 PM.png
    652.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 4.09.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 4.09.45 PM.png
    568.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 4.09.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 4.09.47 PM.png
    563.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Yes she told me it looks like Qatar would cancel flights direct into Botswana but not cancel to JNB. Can take Airlink from JNB to Botswana. I would like to avoid JNB but doesn’t look possible now.
Crazy times

You remain in Federal jurisdiction and are transferring your guns onward to another flight and wont go through security. If you pass through customs/immigration, go through security and then collect your bags at baggage claim and enter New Jersey jurisdiction then you have an issue. They have rules that differ from all other states. The horror stories have occurred when someone shows up to check in guns or has a cancelled flight and collects their guns and heads out the door.

A person who is transporting a firearm though the State of New Jersey in the manner permitted by person's possession 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, see Section II above, need not give notice.

Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey | New Jersey State Police Firearms Information (njsp.org)

Ok have read whole thing...but couldn't see any reference to arriving from overseas....as it's your first point of reentry to usa you surely will have to go through immigration and customs...then re check in...that's the part I am trying to understand, and nothing about that I could see in those regulations...if I am being thick then sorry ...but any country I have arrived in you clear immigration and customs at airport of arrival, then recheck your luggage and yourself in after ...

My Qatar flights for Apr 30/May 1 are still on. they have changed the departure times around a few times, but still scheduled to get to JNB on time

Somewhat OT, but if there ever was a reason for using an agent, these times are it. From this chair, for U.S. citizens, this is not time to wing it. YMMV.

Lori, God Bless Her Hart,
Is processing our refund. She has rebooked us on Emirates Airlines through Dubai Airport.
And My fearless Bride and Cape Buffalo hunting companion upgraded our seats from Delta premium select to Business Class....In the immortal words of Papa Hemingway..."

“Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.”

I am not sure why the lack of a direct flight is that big of a deal. Obviously, direct is nice but between Delta code share with BA, KLM and Air France; getting to JNB is still pretty damn easy. I am booked to pass through in March (via AMS) and have heard nothing of a cancellation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois