Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA, SCI
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME

President Joe Biden will sign a travel ban Monday on most non-U.S. citizens entering the country who were recently in South Africa, where a new strain of Covid-19 has been identified, a person familiar with the situation told CNBC.

Biden will also reinstate travel restrictions on the entry of non-U.S. citizens from the U.K. and Brazil, where new Covid strains have emerged. The restrictions will also apply to Ireland and much of Europe. Former President Donald Trump had rescinded the restrictions just before Biden took office.

Reuters first reported news of the travel restrictions on Sunday.

Dr. Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told the outlet that the agency was “putting in place this suite of measures to protect Americans and also to reduce the risk of these variants spreading and worsening the current pandemic.”

Before Biden took office, incoming White House press secretary Jen Psaki criticized Trump’s move to lift international travel restrictions even as more contagious variants emerged across the world.

“We plan to strengthen public health measures around international travel in order to further mitigate the spread of Covid-19,” Psaki wrote in a tweet.

Trump, through a proclamation last Monday, ordered a removal of travel restrictions that his administration had implemented early in the pandemic on most non-U.S. citizens who had been in much of Europe, the U.K. and Brazil, starting Jan. 26.

That is when the U.S. government will start mandating U.S.-bound air travelers, including U.S. citizens, to show recent, negative Covid-19 test results before boarding flights.

White House health advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci has said that available vaccines appear to be less effective against new, more contagious strains of Covid-19, but that they’ll still likely provide enough protection to be worth getting.

The CDC also announced on Sunday that it will remove the option for airlines with flights from countries that lack Covid-19 testing to apply for temporary waivers for some travelers. The agency will implement the order on Tuesday.

The virus has infected more than 25 million people and killed at least 417,000 people in the U.S. since the pandemic began, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

The U.S. has not yet detected any cases of the South African variant, but several states have detected the U.K. variant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read about the ban and was wondering just how it is going to affect outbound flights for hunters and others headed over to South Africa.

It's becoming a crasser year than last year was.

JANUARY 26, 2021 CDC TRAVEL NOTICES

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 16.34.12.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 16.33.59.png

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-south-africa

The more I think about 2020 might be the first year in history an African government showed they had more common sense than North America or Europe. Africa was first to reopen, Ethiopian airways never shut down, life continued. Now “we” elected this idiot so we can continue with this COVID nonsense indefinitely. He always said he was going to “shut down” the virus so I guess this is just expected.

As someone whose planning to buy tickets next week when travel agent calls, this worries me. From what I read here, nothing has changed yet. But what’s likelihood something restricts travel to South Africa between now and April

This wuss is afraid of his own shadow and the virus so that’s why he didn’t even campaign.

This wuss is afraid of his own shadow and the virus so that’s why he didn’t even campaign.

He did not campaign because the fix was in, in the swing states. Not because of Covid or his declining mental abilities. Expect this to last at least the next two years.

I was going to text you this Dale

As someone whose planning to buy tickets next week when travel agent calls, this worries me. From what I read here, nothing has changed yet. But what’s likelihood something restricts travel to South Africa between now and April

I am still buying tickets for an April hunt. If travel is closed I'll get my money back, if not, I have my tickets.

Well my wife is officially freaking out about my trip in April. Right now the ban doesn‘t apply to US citizens re-entering but not sure how I’m supposed to get a COVID test three days before my return date when I’m only in country eight days and will be in the field. Trying to decide what to do as this was only a one-week hunt I’m going on and the testing requirement both ways is putting a damper on things. My guess is with the new strain that has hit SA it’s only a matter of time before US citizen restrictions are imposed. Grrrrr, having to cancel for the second year in a row is going to really piss me off :(

This is the easiest way for an anti hunting, anti gun bureaucrat to impose his (her) idealist and myopic policies on those that oppose him (her) and for him (her) to destroy an industry that they disagree with. IMHO without sport hunting in Africa and the support of the people that it benefits both directly and indirectly, the animals in Africa are destined to extinction.

Was just going to post this story too, late to the party though. I wonder if SA will reciprocate with a ban from US.

Well my wife is officially freaking out about my trip in April. Right now the ban doesn‘t apply to US citizens re-entering but not sure how I’m supposed to get a COVID test three days before my return date when I’m only in country eight days and will be in the field. Trying to decide what to do as this was only a one-week hunt I’m going on and the testing requirement both ways is putting a damper on things. My guess is with the new strain that has hit SA it’s only a matter of time before US citizen restrictions are imposed. Grrrrr, having to cancel for the second year in a row is going to really piss me off :(
It will not be a problem to “get tested” over there before you come back.

As I’ve said Biden will put in all kinds of restrictions for a little while. The virus is on its way out anyway but he will take credit this spring and all will be lifted.
Remember Obama had everyone stop reporting H1N1 so it would “go away”.
Philip

It will not be a problem to “get tested” over there before you come back.
Hope not....have a WhatsApp message out to PH about that. If this is a new strain though I’m going to be dementia Joe and his cronies shut down air travel....have to wait and see at this point.

Hope not....have a WhatsApp message out to PH about that. If this is a new strain though I’m going to be dementia Joe and his cronies shut down air travel....have to wait and see at this point.
There is no new strain. Viruses mutate constantly, this is just hysteria. I guess it’s working! Actually the UK variation is less dangerous reportedly.
Sadly I am sure international travelers will need the vaccine.
Africa is worth it!
Philip

As I’ve said Biden will put in all kinds of restrictions for a little while. The virus is on its way out anyway but he will take credit this spring and all will be lifted.
Remember Obama had everyone stop reporting H1N1 so it would “go away”.
Philip
It’s most definitely NOT on its way out. This thing is here to stay and is quite a bit more virulent than H1N1. It’s how it’s dealt with that is going to be telling by dementia Joe and his cronies. If you think it’s going away, please have a chat with my son who is doing his emergency medical rotation this month....cases galore apparently and he’s not in a highly impacted state. This has nothing to do with hunting either, it is all about gaining more power of the populace and expansion of government control.

There is no new strain. Viruses mutate constantly, this is just hysteria. I guess it’s working! Actually the UK variation is less dangerous reportedly.
Sadly I am sure international travelers will need the vaccine.
Africa is worth it!
Philip
If it mutates, then yes there is a new strain. That’s what a mutation is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg