US to require Covid test to board flight home

Tracey Colson

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am a rookie at this Africa travel stuff and am hoping some of the more experienced people on here can calm my fears about this. How difficult is this going to be to get taken care of in RSA. I am hoping to be there the end of middle to end of April so I don't think that this is something that will go away between now and then. My outfitter will be picking me up out of the Kimberly airport and I have reached out to them this morning as well.

Work with your regular doctor or county health dept. to try and get on the vaccination list. With international travel in your plans, you might be able to get vaccinated in preparation.

What is interesting is that the CDC is requiring a viral test. From what I've read and am understanding, that means either a PCR test or an antigen test. The antigen test is far more inaccurate but you can get results back quickly as they can be the rapid test. I don't know what the current testing accuracy is at since they don't seem to ever want to talk about it in the news or online, but my worry is getting a false positive and having to stay in South Africa for an additional 10 days. I suspect getting a rapid test that will satisfy this requirement will be easy to get right at teh airport.

And then to not exempt people who have been vaccinated? That screams loudly to me that the vaccine isn't what we are being told it is. That's the conspiracy theory side of my brain thinking but it's also the only conclusion I can come to on that.

And then to not exempt people who have been vaccinated? That screams loudly to me that the vaccine isn't what we are being told it is. That's the conspiracy theory side of my brain thinking but it's also the only conclusion I can come to on that.
I suppose that that the vaccine will keep you from being sick but they think you can still be a carrier? That's the... well, only alternate conclusion I can reach? Maybe I don't understand how vaccines work but I thought the point of them was that once you get jabbed, you won't contract the disease at all. Then again, they're now talking about herd immunity even though I thought herd immunity for covid wasn't a thing.

Ok, where do we get a test in RSA before we leave for the U.S.? This is a BIG fly in the ointment. I know everyone is all hepped up about going this year but getting back looks like it's going to be a problem.

Vaccination take a month to be effective. On the test side, my doctor told me it's a one in five chance it's wrong.

Ok, where do we get a test in RSA before we leave for the U.S.? This is a BIG fly in the ointment. I know everyone is all hepped up about going this year but getting back looks like it's going to be a problem.
I have the same question.

I expect (hope) to be flying back from RSA in late April, and I need a COVID test (PCR, not rapid antigen) in order to fly home to Canada. I assume such tests would be available in JNB, but they will need to be able to turn those tests around in less than 48 hours for the logistics to work.

If the tests aren’t generally available outside of JNB, that will mean a change of plans with the hunt - I will have to get to JNB earlier than anticipated and wait around for a couple of days. I believe a member of this forum had the same issue while hunting at @spike.t ’s place a few months back - had to call the hunt short to get to Lusaka in time to have the test and wait around for the result.

Just another obstacle . . .

Same goes for all the other huntable African countries. From this chair, I'd want to have the returning home test logistics set up and confirmed BEFORE I leave the U.S. Not about to dilly dally around with the locals for who knows how long to get the OK to board a homebound aircraft. My wish is instead of the test, the vaccination covers it.

I posed this question to my PH this morning. He told me there is a clinic less than an hour from his property to get Covid testing done, with expected results in 24 hours. This is some relief.

I suppose that that the vaccine will keep you from being sick but they think you can still be a carrier? That's the... well, only alternate conclusion I can reach? Maybe I don't understand how vaccines work but I thought the point of them was that once you get jabbed, you won't contract the disease at all. Then again, they're now talking about herd immunity even though I thought herd immunity for covid wasn't a thing.
You can still be a carrier. The virus can still set up shop in your nose and you sneeze or dig for gold with your finger - the virus can get in the air or on surfaces.

They are saying herd immunity prob won't occur in 2021 (at least in the US) bc of the slow vaccine rollout and the need to get 80% of the country vaccinated.

I WhatsApp my PH this question also this morning. He said no problem. Clinic is about 1 Hour drive from camp and they will provide needed test and paperwork to leave. Results on 24-36 hours.
That was news I wanted to hear. I have 25 days on the ground there starting May 30th

Kind of a silly requirement considering the
States have a much higher infection rate than most other countries.

My outfitter responded that they had talked to a local doctor, and doing the testing and getting results could be done in no more than 48hrs at a cost of about $55 depending on the exchange rate at that time. Sounds doable

I have a trip to Costa Rica in Feb, and Zimbabwe in May. I contacted both the lodge owner in CR, and the PH in Zim last night after my travel agency owner wife went bat-$hit crazy at 5:00PM when she got the CDC post.

Both took the news in stride and are working with local doctors, and their connections with labs to make the test happen.

My CR was not impacted and flights will remain as booked. My Zim trip I have not booked flights, but was advised to just add one day on the trip at the end so results would be in hand before flight. Previously we were chartering back to airport same day as flight.

I think if you contact your outfitter, they are more prepared than you would think and this will only be a mild hiccup, and not cost more than $100 US to pull off.

Just my 2 cents. I am returning to laid back mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg