US Source for .375 Ruger Ammo

Patton63

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I night a Ruger Alaskan Guide Gun in .375 Ruger and am now looking to feed it. The gun will be used for an eventual Cape Buffalo hunt, and likely bison and bear in the States. I don't reload (but may start because of this caliber), and am looking at Double Tap ammo loaded with 270 gr Barnes TSX bullets, Swift 300 gr A-Frames, and Hornady 300 gr DGX. Selection generally is limited, but I cannot find the Hornady in stock anywhere. If anyone knows of a source for the DGX, I'd be grateful if you would share.

Thanks in advance.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/375-ruger/Hornady

This is always the first place I check when looking to buy ammo online..

They will give you a list of people that carry what youre looking for and provide comparative pricing..

Attachments

• Screenshot (130).png
    Screenshot (130).png
    297.9 KB · Views: 304
Hornady DGX may have become a thing of the past. I think I read somewhere on AH that Hornady has a new bonded bullet out that is intended to take it's place. A couple of months ago there was a lot of discussion on AH re the DGX bullet. Most of which was not very complimentary.

I night a Ruger Alaskan Guide Gun in .375 Ruger and am now looking to feed it. The gun will be used for an eventual Cape Buffalo hunt, and likely bison and bear in the States. I don't reload (but may start because of this caliber), and am looking at Double Tap ammo loaded with 270 gr Barnes TSX bullets, Swift 300 gr A-Frames, and Hornady 300 gr DGX. Selection generally is limited, but I cannot find the Hornady in stock anywhere. If anyone knows of a source for the DGX, I'd be grateful if you would share.

Thanks in advance.
Ammoseek.com is a great search engine for ammunition

Not being able to find the DGX is a blessing.

Attachments

• Screenshot (134).png
    Screenshot (134).png
    1 MB · Views: 234
I have seen it in a lot of bigger sporting goods stores like Cabelas and Kittery Trading Post up in Kittery, Maine. You won't likely find it in a small gun shop because it represents a significant investment to the owner to stock ammunition that is used by less than probably 2% of their customers. thats why you rarely find rifle rounds much bigger than .338 WM, then it just jumps up to .444 Marlin and .45/70. Unless you are in Alaska, it won't be a common sight to see .375 and even rarer to see any of the .416s. Buying factory Nitro Express rounds is a special order proposition all together. I think your best bet, if you want to buy them locally, would be to ask an LGS if they would order you some.

One caveat, if your ammo gets lost, are you going to be able to find .375 Ruger in Africa?
Having said that, I DO take uncommon calibers to Africa for plains game but would not do it for DG.

I had a hard time finding 338 WM ammo in local stores this past hunting season. Not a lot of people in Lousiana and Texas using this caliber, I guess. I buy most of my factory ammo from either MidwayUSA or Ammo to go (https://www.ammunitiontogo.com). Also, just buying some odd lots on GB from time to time when a good deal presents itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my ammo loaded by Safari Arms. The Hornady ammo in my .375 Ruger was terribly inaccurate. I went to SAAM Safari shooting school for help and advice. It’s very expensive but you can’t beat the personal service and expertise. (I had three big Safaris lined up so the expense was not a factor for me)
They turned me on to Safari Arms even selling me a box to get started with. Bullseye!
John from Safari Arms is usually at the big shows so look him up.
Philip

Choice is limited in 375 Ruger and expensive I would think hard about reloading you could set yourself up for the price of 4 boxes of factory ammo.
A quick trip to MidwayUSA website showed me that $180 would set you up with needed equipment.
Now this is all Lee equipment which is a lot cheaper than other brands but in my opinion is more than adequate for most reloading.
117.89 Lee Challenger Breech Lock single stage press kit.
28.79 Lee Pacesetter dies.
5.39 Lee case length gage and shell holder.
I paid 25.00 for my last reloading manual.
I got a kit like this 25 years ago and had plans to upgrade with time. 25 years later the only upgrade was a powder scale not because lee’s didn’t work but because it was not compatible with my very large fingers, more of a annoyance than a problem.
I load GS Customs 200gr in my 375 Ruger and they are $82.00 for 50 and my per box price is under $40.
The Lee powder measure feels like a plastic piece of junk but it functions better than most.
I have access to both RCBS and Lyman’s and I will not change because of how accurate the Lee is.
It is an investment up front but once the equipment is purchased it will save a pile of money.
And there is also the fact that you can adjust loads to your rifle to increase accuracy.
Shawn

Last edited:
Also the 375 Ruger at least the one I have is very easy on brass I originally ordered 50 and set 25 back for future use the other 25 have been loaded no less than 3 probably 4 times and are showing no distress at all.
The price per box of ammo can really drop if you watch MidwayUSA for their sale on bullets marked seconds great for trigger time I would not hunt with them.
They look good measure good but I think they are test bullets and maybe to hard or soft to function properly.
The last box I got was $17.95 for 50.
Shawn

Hendershots can load you whatever you want.

Dittos on Shawn.54's thoughts and comments on reloading. After reloading for a while there are a couple of items you might like to make things easier. But they too get amortized over time. Then you can purchase brass, dies and bullets to reload additional calibers as well. Not to mention the satisfaction you get from shooting and hunting with your own loads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.