Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, NFAA
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, UAE, California
Zimbabwe ban on hunting trophies is over!!

I just read this and am super excited. Call it JUMBO excited!!!

http://www.insiderzim.com/us-lifts-ban-on-hunting-trophies-from-zimbabwe/

Perfect timing!

Now we just need them to remove the overall restriction on lion imports to America...

US lifts ban on hunting trophies from Zimbabwe
The United States of America has lifted its ban on hunting trophies from Zimbabwe, allowing the country to resume exports later this year, the environment minister said today.

On April 4, 2014, the US Fish and Wildlife Service announced an interim suspension of imports of sport-hunted African elephant trophies hunted in Zimbabwe, which it later extended to 2015 and “indefinitely into the future,” because the government’s measures to protect the animals did not enhance the survival of the species.

The decision was challenged by the US Safari Club and the powerful National Rifle Association but a US District Court upheld the ban.

Environment, Water and Climate Minister Oppah Muchinguri- Kashiri said that according to the provisions of the waiver, Zimbabwe would start exporting the outstanding trophies in the second quarter of 2017.

“All the trophies which were being held in the country will be exported this year but under strict conditions. We have been given an opportunity to export again into the US,” she said.

The US ban preceded the controversial killing of the hugely popular Cecil, a 13-year-old male lion which lived in Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park, by Walter Palmer, a US trophy hunter in July, 2015.

The killing led to calls for tighter controls on hunting trophy imports by mainly western countries.

Zimbabwe hosts hunters from various countries including Russia, the United States, Hungary, Spain and Germany who pay to shoot animals such as lions, elephants and leopards, earning the country millions in revenue.

United States provide the bulk of the hunters and the existence of the ban has had negative effects on hunting revenue.

Bookings for the 2017 hunting season, which runs between April and November each year, are up 20 percent from the previous year’s $70 million, despite the embargo by the US.

The 2016 hunting season was depressed as most hunters stayed away due to uncertainty over proposals by some Western countries to impose stricter hunting controls on elephants and lions by mostly African countries.- The Source

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little hesitant to join the happy dance with you just yet.
USFWS does not have any new findings on their website I can find. Nor do they have a news release regarding the change.
I'll look for a source from the US.

Hmmm, I hope this is true, but I don't have a lot of trust in Zimbabwe news sources.

Beat me to it @BRICKBURN.

Hope there is some truth to this....

Agree though, need a little more confirmation before happy dance time.

Oh SSI ... any further info would be much appreciated.
If this is indeed true I will certainly do the uber happy dance.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have specific questions regarding the import of sport-hunted trophies, please send an email to
managementauthority@fws.gov
or call 800-358-2104.

Someone call these guys and ask the question please. I can not access the 800 number. Thanks

Hope it all comes together for you guys!!!

I just called FWS and they had not heard anything.

Re-reading the article, I don't see anything explaining the "waiver" they have been granted. Will keep my fingers crossed.

SCI usually puts out a press release if something like this is true.

If you have specific questions regarding the import of sport-hunted trophies, please send an email to
managementauthority@fws.gov
or call 800-358-2104.

Someone call these guys and ask the question please. I can not access the 800 number. Thanks
just called the number you show and nobody there has been given any info that the ban is over.

Just saw a post on Facebook referencing this article stating it was false. Unfortunate, but I hope the status changes.

dt

Fingers crossed

Lesson: Don't trust Zimbabwe "news". :)

Has CNN reported on it yet?!?!?

Unfortunately definately NOT true ..... we all hope this would change soon !

No Change in Zimbabwe Importation Prohibition

Despite recent rumors to the contrary, the existing bans on African lion and elephant importation from Zimbabwe remain in effect. SCI received confirmation of this information yesterday from the U.S. Department of the Interior. Unfortunately, press releases and news reports coming from Zimbabwe during the last several days incorrectly reported that the U.S. position on importation of lions and elephants from Zimbabwe had changed.

In April 2014, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service imposed a ban on the importation of legally hunted elephants from Zimbabwe. SCI and the National Rifle Association sued to challenge the ban and the case continues in federal court. SCI and NRA have already seen some success from the case. The district court held that the Service illegally imposed the ban before announcing it in the Federal Register. As a result the Court held that the ban could not commence until May 12, 2014, when the agency published its formal notice. Several SCI members and others who successfully hunted elephants between April 4 and May 11, 2014, are now in the process of importing their elephants.

In January 2016, the Service adopted regulations requiring individual permits for the importation of each African lion into the U.S. Since that date, the FWS has not granted a single permit for the importation of a legally hunted lion from Zimbabwe.

Although the Department of the Interior has not lifted either the elephant or lion importation ban, SCI is optimistic that we will see changes to the status of importation from Zimbabwe in the near future. We will continue to monitor the importation situation, and will immediately alert our members to any changes.

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisa56S81

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.