Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
I said some time ago, that after the events in Sandy Hook school in CT, that we were facing our "Dunblane" event and that many new measures would soon become law. Today the US Senate failed to pass even an extended background check law. So I am happy to say for the record, and for at least the time being (not forever!), that I was wrong and happy to be wrong about this. They will be back however, rest assured.

that's good news for gun laws every where in the western world right there ses:thumb:

Well now the media has a bombing to talk about, but eventually they get back to gun control.

They are already trying to tie guns to this bombing if you can believe that! Some of our polititians and commentators are beyond sad and disgusting!:mad:

ses,

I think you're probably still going to see some attempts at getting the background checks for shows/internet sales. But as I thought would be the case, there's just too many Dem Senators from "gun country" for there to be any teeth in the legislation. In addtion to the fact that the last time we had an assault weapons ban, it proved to be useless. But that's just silly bringing facts into the argument! :rolleyes:

No doubt about it. One thing that just about drives me around the bend, is this idea about "internet" sales. I suppose on occasion two guys that live in the same town, see a gun on the net and do a face to face deal. The vast majority of "net" sales take place thru places like Gunbroker and others. These transactions require going thru dealers and doing background checks. I do it all the time. I just wish one so-called news person would make this distinction on air!:mad:
The end of the rainbow for the anti's is of course eventual outlawing and confiscation of all firearms from the citizenry, or what we will then become; subjects. No offense to our brethren accross the pond, its just that we have this little thing called the Bill of Rights that others dont have. Govt believes that all rights come from govt. The Bill of Rights affirms (not grants), the Rights we are born with as citizens of America. I dont expect to see this in my lifetime, but my kids? Perhaps. I hope not. Temporarily, we have dodged another bullet so to speak on the issue. Obama was really pissed! I figure if he is not happy, there is good reason for America to be happy!:D

Obama is kicking and screaming, like a spoiled child. The last time the democrats started to go after gun owners it went bad for them....hmm...maybe they haven't learned their lessons yet.

Obama is kicking and screaming, like a spoiled child. The last time the democrats started to go after gun owners it went bad for them....hmm...maybe they haven't learned their lessons yet.

Come on Eric,,, really what will he do, shut down the White House tours over this???? wait,,,,, Oh yes, that was the last tantrum.

We still need to keep our guard up, Like Sest says, they are already trying to tie the Boston bombing to right wing "Patriots" "Tea Party" and heavens forbid "Consitutionalist"

I think people have been brainwashed into thinking everything can be controlled. If we put more regulations in place you have less crime. My personally beliefs are that we have become soft as a nation, there are plenty of people that don't understand hardship, violence or know how the criminal mind works. And the justice system has become a joke. The punishments are not deterring crime. If I made a law, that if someone was caught trying to bomb someone or kill school children for no reason was going to burn very slowly on a stake...how much crime would I have? I know that sounds extreme. I think the only way you deter psycho killers is very terrifying consequences.
Maybe I'm just tired of people justifying why crimes happen.

I think people have been brainwashed into thinking everything can be controlled. If we put more regulations in place you have less crime. My personally beliefs are that we have become soft as a nation, there are plenty of people that don't understand hardship, violence or know how the criminal mind works. And the justice system has become a joke. The punishments are not deterring crime. If I made a law, that if someone was caught trying to bomb someone or kill school children for no reason was going to burn very slowly on a stake...how much crime would I have? I know that sounds extreme. I think the only way you deter psycho killers is very terrifying consequences.
Maybe I'm just tired of people justifying why crimes happen.

Less than 70 years ago in my home town/county seat, the last public hanging was conducted in this county. Criminals knew then, if they broke the law and got caught they had to pay the ferry-man. I think it is crude (by today's standards) but, it worked... So hanging might be to gentle of a way for the convict. Better to let the father of the daughter who was killed or raped, have his way with said killer or rapist.

The book I read every Sunday preaches against what I just said, but I think after a few years of enacting what we are discussing, I would not even be saying what i just said.

I think it's better to teach consequences of actions, rather the possibility of action. People are not dumb! Our prisons are full, we are obviously not deterring enough people.
There just too many people that don't give a hang about anything.

I think it's better to teach consequences of actions, rather the possibility of action. People are not dumb! Our prisons are full, we are obviously not deterring enough people.
There just too many people that don't give a hang about anything.

Years ago a friend of mine said to me over this type of discussion, "Laws were created to keep honest people honest." The point being that a generally honest person will stay honest because to stray can result in unacceptable consequences. People who are basically dishonest don't give a damn about those consequences and will continue to be outlaws.

This goes directly to gun control and your post above about people being brainwashed that we can just make more laws and this will control the nut jobs. The fact that our gov't can't focus on determining why people commit these atrocities versus focusing on the tools they use to carry them out is just another sign to me of how that gov't prefers to control us versus protecting our liberties.

Years ago a friend of mine said to me over this type of discussion, "Laws were created to keep honest people honest." The point being that a generally honest person will stay honest because to stray can result in unacceptable consequences. People who are basically dishonest don't give a damn about those consequences and will continue to be outlaws.

This goes directly to gun control and your post above about people being brainwashed that we can just make more laws and this will control the nut jobs. The fact that our gov't can't focus on determining why people commit these atrocities versus focusing on the tools they use to carry them out is just another sign to me of how that gov't prefers to control us versus protecting our liberties.

Exactly, I agree 100 percent!!!

... shall not be infringed.

'nuf said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg