US Fish and Game extend Elephant ban into 2015 for Zimbabwe

We cannot ban Japanese cars from US importation.
Otherwise, the Vegenazis would not have their Subarus to drive to their Anti-Automobile Industry Protests.

Who knew that the importation of Japanese cars would lead to a violation of First Amendment Rights???? You just can't be too careful.... ;)

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to legally sell Tusks and hides in Africa, from an Elephant hunted legally
There is a market for the hide from the 6 main large panels typically cut off. About $3.50 to $4/kilo last I checked. And educated guess would be 200 to 250 KGs for all panels. That is without feet (and bottom part of legs), trunk, or head... Which they typically do not save unless for a mount.

As I understand it, it is completely illegal to sell the tusks. There has been government auctions where they sell off government owned tusks that would be accumulated from confiscations (like from poachers caught with it), harvested from animals that die (especially in parks) or that are shot for camp meat (yes they do this in Kruger and other places). However you and I cannot sell them.

An argument against such periodic auctions is that they do not set a true market price.. They are at most every few years. With, I believe China and Vietnam being the main buyers... At the last auction I read about, one wanted the tonnage but did not care as to size, the other wanted only big stuff... So a deal was struck and the ivory sold way under what it might have brought in a true competitive market... The other issue is the irregular supply and then dumping large volumes at once... A more steady but smaller supply might set a much more accurate and reliable market.

So you might net $800 in hide towards your trophy fee. Street value of the ivory could be $150,000.... But you cannot sell it and obviously if you could, everyone else could and the street value would plummet... Of course that would reduce profits of the smugglers which in turn would reduce profits to poachers!

Sure as hell would not want to do something sensible in those regards!

Thanks for the info Bob. I wasn't sure about Ivory laws.

“United States citizens make up a disproportionately large share of foreign hunters who book trophy hunts in Africa,” said Service Director Dan Ashe. “That gives us a powerful tool to support countries that are managing wildlife populations in a sustainable manner and incentivize others to strengthen their conservation and management programs.”

"That gives us a powerful tool ..." This statement by Director Ashe pisses me off more than any other I've heard him make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg