Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
Just got back from a vacay with the missus to Czech Republic and Austria. I highly recommend them both, especially if you like fatty meat and lagers. We ate pretty much nothing but schnitzel, beef, pork, and sausage while we were over there. And I drank some mighty tasty Czech and Austrian beers.

Sadly, no hunting on this trip. Still a cool trip.

But for heaven's sake, going through customs at IAH...after an 11 hr flight from Paris, and a 1.5 hr flight from Prague right before that, this was NOT what I wanted to see when I got home

us_customs_iah.jpeg

They are still making up for late pay cheques.

Global Entry/Trusted Traveler/TSA Pre, hundred bucks for five years. Don't go to the airport without it! :A Banana:

You can also download the Mobile Passport app. Only certain airports accept it, but I have never seen a line for it. I used it before I got Global Entry and highly recommend it to those without Global Entry. Best part is it’s free!!

Another tip, DO NOT stop at the restroom after getting off the plane. BTDT. :Arghh:

Global Entry is your friend...
Global Entry... ABSOLUTELY!
On our flight back from Africa, we landed in Atlanta. It was a sea of people waiting to go thru Customs. With GE, we walked right up to the kiosk, scanned our passport, answered a few questions on the touchscreen and we were in. Easy.

You can also download the Mobile Passport app. Only certain airports accept it, but I have never seen a line for it. I used it before I got Global Entry and highly recommend it to those without Global Entry. Best part is it’s free!!
I came in on an A380 (probably about 525 passengers). I had the Mobile Passport App and there is a separate line for that at IAH. Probably about 5 people on the airplane had the Mobile Passport App. Customs & Immigration was a breeze, faster than when my daughter (who has Global Entry) went thru several months earlier.

Global Entry, you sign up at airport?

No, sign up here: https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov You can get TSA Pre-check for $75 or Global Entry for $100 for five years, which includes pre-check. Some credit cards will even pay your fee.

The BIG difference between Global Entry and Mobile Passport is your exit at Customs. And if there’s a problem you go to the head of the line. It’s worth every penny if you travel.

Last edited:

What @wesheltonj said. The thing is it can take some time. The application is a piece of cake. But you have to have an interview. The interview is short and also easy, almost silly. But you have to have it and it takes time to get that on the schedule.

It took about 4 months before I got my interview scheduled. That said, I've only used the TSA Pre-check that comes with it. It was quite helpful particularly when I was leaving Dallas after DSC this year.

Damn! Wish I had known about GE before. I'm leaving for Africa in about three weeks for a two week hunt. Hopefully, when I get back things will have settled down a little. The good thing is, I'm coming into NY and have a 12 hour layover. That should help getting through that zoo. I think i just might get started on it now--for next time.

Thanks for the tip.

I came in on an A380 (probably about 525 passengers). I had the Mobile Passport App and there is a separate line for that at IAH. Probably about 5 people on the airplane had the Mobile Passport App. Customs & Immigration was a breeze, faster than when my daughter (who has Global Entry) went thru several months earlier.

We were on an A330, so a little smaller. But we were mixed in with what looked to be the contents of 8 or 10 other international flights which all landed within a few minutes of each other.

Damn! Wish I had known about GE before. I'm leaving for Africa in about three weeks for a two week hunt. Hopefully, when I get back things will have settled down a little. The good thing is, I'm coming into NY and have a 12 hour layover. That should help getting through that zoo. I think i just might get started on it now--for next time.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm forgetting the timeline that it took me, but you might want to do the initial online application now and schedule your interview for either when you depart or return as you will already be at an airport that CBP schedules interviews.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-arrival

I love my Global Entry, super easy clearing customs and have never not received TSA pre-check for domestic flights.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 9.16.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 9.16.20 AM.png
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 165
At the interview, they'll take your fingerprints and a photo for facial recognition. IIRC, my interview lasted about fifteen minutes at Philly International. It took a couple months between the time of application and interview. I would guess most of the background check has already been done and the interview is just a verification of identity.

Last edited:
Global Entry smashes Mobile Passport in head to head race through Altlanta immigration. Wife and I recently returned from out of the country. She tried to tell me Mobile Passport was just as fast as Global Entry. No dice honey, not biting on that one. So the race was on. I smugly laughed as there was a grand total of one person ahead of me in line, and at least fifty in the Mobile Passport line. Still much better than the 250 in the normal que. Lesson learned: if you hate long lines, Global Entry well worth the money, and no more need to the speed walking trek from boarding bridge to immigration.

My GE had been expired for about 2 years and I renewed it a couple of months ago. I submitted everything online. After a few weeks, I was checking every few days to see when my interview was going to be scheduled. Over a month went by before they replied and no interview was required, as I guess I was still in good standing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg