Upland Game Pants for Hunting Africa

Roger that.
I just might need something a little warmer in the South African winter with morning temps near freezing.
Rum??? Old Brown Sherry...

I wear longs, but they must be quiet and breathable, or it gets unbearable during the heat. My go-to is Johnsons work wear khaki longs with a dark green Westley Richards or Purdey shirt. Never go with a light shirt, you stick out for miles.

Rum??? Old Brown Sherry...
Call me old fashioned but...
Tipping a cup before the sun comes up is a wee bit early for me. :D

Due to daily laundry and hot iron to kill bugs etc. I prefer cotton pants. For me the original 5.11 cotton canvas cargo pants do the trick. Not to mention protecting your knees etc, when having to rest the knees on dirt/pebbles/rocks etc.. Here is the link, at $50 very reasonable as well.

https://www.511tactical.com/511-tactical-pants-mens-cotton.html

Attachments

• Screenshot (717).png
    Screenshot (717).png
    311.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Screenshot (718).png
    Screenshot (718).png
    168.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot (719).png
    Screenshot (719).png
    717.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited by a moderator:
I like the 511 TDU cotton pants, shirts and shorts too. Great quality, value and color selection.

FWIW for those that attend DSC... there is a 5.11 retail store in Dallas that runs huge after Christmas clearance sales the first half of January (same time DSC occurs)...

I picked up several 5.11 camp shirts for $12 each this year.. 2 sets of 511 pants for about $20 each.. and a set of 511 boots that MSRP at about $200 for $65...

Well worth swinging by in January if you’re in town anyway for DSC

When I am not in a suit I am in 5.11 pants or shorts and their shirts. I wait for their 20-30% sale each year (though they have been having them more often lately) and buy 5-6 sets. I have them in every one of my houses so I can travel light.

All the pants with the cargo pockets drive me nuts.
I get it...you can carry stuff.

What I get...the pockets caught on everything I walk by.
Or carrying stuff I don't really need in them, weighing me down.

I'll run for cover now. :A Stirring::A Popcorn:

All the pants with the cargo pockets drive me nuts.
I get it...you can carry stuff.
Or carrying stuff I don't really need in them, weighing me down.

I'll run for cover now. :A Stirring::A Popcorn:

Actually, I am kind of a minimalist in carrying stuff. Here is my EDC. Keys (not shown) go in left pocket, knife gets clipped to left pocket. iPhone (not shown) goes in right front cargo pocket, spare mag in the interior pocket of right front pocket, Ridge wallet goes in right pocket. Firearm in holster at 9 o'clock. Watch on left wrist ;)

sjtkh1Il.jpg

Attachments

• sjtkh1Il.jpg
    sjtkh1Il.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I am kind of a minimalist in carrying stuff. Here is my EDC. Keys (not shown) go in left pocket, knife gets clipped to left pocket. iPhone (not shown) goes in right front cargo pocket, spare mag in the interior pocket of right front pocket, Ridge wallet goes in right pocket. Firearm in holster at 9 o'clock. Watch on left wrist ;)

sjtkh1Il.jpg
However I'm guessing this is not your normal EDC when hunting Africa.
My point is that cargo style pants are a little much, at least for me when hunting Africa.

However I'm guessing this is not your normal EDC when hunting Africa.
My point is that cargo style pants are a little much, at least for me when hunting Africa.

OK, each to his own. In Africa I will have the knife and the iPhone and that's it. No need for anything else. The 5.11 cargo pockets do not billow out, so I have not had an issue with them snagging on anything.

Everyone does have their own style. Heck, we can talk about headgear. Some like baseball caps, others Tilley style hats, then you have the Western hat guys. I prefer a Fedora, that's what I wear at home, and overseas.

OK, each to his own. In Africa I will have the knife and the iPhone and that's it. No need for anything else. The 5.11 cargo pockets do not billow out, so I have not had an issue with them snagging on anything.

Everyone does have their own style. Heck, we can talk about headgear. Some like baseball caps, others Tilley style hats, then you have the Western hat guys. I prefer a Fedora, that's what I wear at home, and overseas.
I'm still gonna check out the 5.11's...
Interested to see how they compare to my Carhartt B11 and B151.

I’d never heard of Kuhl. Just went to their website and their pants look like skinny jeans to me. Not the statement I want to make. I’ll stick to wearing Filson, as a symbol of my individuality....and belief in personal freedom.

Dwight, the Kuhl Rydr pants are superb, flexible, breathable, and tough. Did you check those out? They are far from skinny jeans no matter how they look.

I’d never heard of Kuhl. Just went to their website and their pants look like skinny jeans to me. Not the statement I want to make. I’ll stick to wearing Filson, as a symbol of my individuality....and belief in personal freedom.
I have Filson pants, the Double Hunting Pants, and they are great.
Just not the best when you are trying to be quiet and sneak up on game.

Oh come on guys !! Follow the trend
343147-e10ff499f672763023edd2cf3ded8c86.jpg

Attachments

• safari-hunter-mens-costume.jpg
    safari-hunter-mens-costume.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 70
We have just returned from safari and are going over what worked and what didn't.
One thing that worked, but not as well as we would have liked were our Carhartt Washed Duck Work Dungaree 12 oz cotton canvas.
Seems that more than one time we each ended up with Prickly Pear thorns in our legs.
To that end I'm researching Upland Game/Briar Pants for our next trip.

So far I've come up with a few choices (in no particular order)

Filson Dry Tin Cloth 5-Pocket Pants
Filson Double Hunting Pants
Orvis Missouri Breaks Briar Pants
Gamehide Briar Proof Pants

Wondering if anyone else is using or considering such options and would like your views.
Check our mountain khaki brush pants they are the toughest I have ever used.

sjtkh1Il.jpg
Ridge and Secrid build the best "wallets" in the world. I have switched to Secrid because it holds a bit more (but I am forced to use a seperate money clip) , but regardless, the safest wallet carry when traveling is a minimalist shielded one deep in a front pocket. Once you start, you'll use them every day.

Just received myo first pair of 5:11 Tacticals. Nice fit and comfortable. Looking forward to putting them through the paces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross