AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
SCI Testifies at Congressional Hearing Regarding the Import of Already Harvested Polar Bears
SCI Represents Hunters and Science-Based Wildlife Management

Washington, D.C. – Today, Dr. William Moritz from Safari Club International (SCI) testified in support of polar bear conservation and research before the House of Representatives Committee on Natural Resources’ Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife.

At issue is H.R. 1054, Congressman Don Young’s (R-AK) legislation to allow the importation of approximately 42 polar bears that already have been legally hunted in Canada. Before the May 15, 2008 listing of the polar bear as threatened, U.S. citizens could obtain import permits for polar bears hunted from six approved populations -- those which the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has found to have a sound and sustainable harvest program. Relying on both science and sound wildlife management principles, SCI explained that allowing these imports would not affect the polar bear populations, but would generate over $40,000 for polar bear research.

Congressman Young’s bill would amend the Marine Mammal Protection Act to specifically allow the import of polar bears that had been hunted from approved populations prior to the listing of the species under the Endangered Species Act. The decision by the FWS banning imports deprived numerous individuals of the full value of their rightful property. The bears currently sit in cold storage in Canada. H.R. 1054 would help rectify this unfortunate situation for the 40-plus hunters affected by the import ban.

“The harvest of these animals provided important income to local native communities, which encouraged the communities to value the polar bear even more and to better accept science-based quotas on the appropriate levels of sustainable take,” said SCIF Director of Conservation Dr. Bill Moritz during today’s hearing. What also gets lost in the rhetoric about climate change and polar bears are the facts that polar bears number between 20,000 and 25,000 worldwide and the import of sport-hunted trophies does not increase mortality, as tags not used by sport hunters are used for subsistence purposes by the local native communities.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) also testified today. FWS has indicated their possible support for HR 1054 if it only allowed importation of those polar bears for which an import application had been submitted prior to the May 15, 2008 ban.

SCI President Larry Rudolph said, “Under U.S. law, import permits provide important conservation program funding of $1,000 per permit. In the last 13 years, U.S. hunters have contributed almost $1 million dollars to polar bear research through these fees. The permits sought for bears taken before the import ban went in effect would add another $42,000 to current conservation efforts. If anti-hunting organizations like the Humane Society and others are against conservation funding, then you’d have to question their true interest to begin with.”

SCI-First For Hunters is the leader in protecting the freedom to hunt and in promoting wildlife conservation worldwide. SCI’s approximately 190 Chapters represent all 50 of the United States as well as 18 other countries. SCI’s proactive leadership in a host of cooperative wildlife conservation, outdoor education and humanitarian programs, with the SCI Foundation and other conservation groups, research institutions and government agencies, empowers sportsmen to be contributing community members and participants in sound wildlife management and conservation. Visit the home page Safari Club International for more information.

Thank you Jerome very interesting.;)

Yes I received this yesterday. It is important to note that this was specifically for bears that had already been legally shot by US hunters but were not imported because of the USFWS ban. This is a completely separate issue from the actual ban itself. If successful this would allow the hunters to import the bears that got tangled up in the red tape without export permits when the new ban was put in place. The fight to de-list the bears again and have things return to the previous status is a different issue.

Many hunters are confusing the two issues and it is important to understand that this win, should it occur, is not the main problem.

Kelly - you hit the nail on the head! First off those legally shot bears should have never been part of this ban- they were taken legally during legal times!
The part about Getting money for research etcand keeping the eskimos with jobs & money is the part the USFWS don't get. Just because of their silly unbiased decision doesn't mean that Polar Bears won't be hunted! They still will be hunted just not by Americans as who is going to pay that kind of money for such a magnificent creature if you can't bring it home to enjoy! I wonder if they would ever continue doing population counts & find out that they were WRONG!!!????
It's time that whole group is bounced out of their jobs & people with open minds replacing them! All these people are, are lifetime politicians that are trying to pass their own stupid agendas. For the sake of the worlds wildlife something must be done & SOON!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross