Update from South African Air NEW FEES

As of may 2019, South African Airways charged $ 100. to transport your rifle , each leg & each way (return) on the same aircraft that you are . Plus $ 140. to an agent to handle your SAPS permit. Now do the math,
that $540. to East Cape. Do these fees apply in 2020?

Ok guys anything new on this. I ws just reading thru someof this and they way I read it, they are going to charge for each rifle and for your ammo case as well. We are flying Delta to JBurg then SAA to Polokawane. So they way I read it $30.00 per rifle,. Any one have any info as to if they are charging for ammo box as well. Also payment for this fee??? Credit card at ticket counter???

Don't forget the $20 "tip" by the guy inspecting your rifles at J'Burg to insure that the rifles make the flight.

As of may 2019, South African Airways charged $ 100. to transport your rifle , each leg & each way (return) on the same aircraft that you are . Plus $ 140. to an agent to handle your SAPS permit. Now do the math,
that $540. to East Cape. Do these fees apply in 2020?

"Do these fees apply in 2020?" YES. These fees started in 2019.

Check out South Africa Airlines website, and according to my travel agent:

It is $30.00USD per weapon inside South Africa.

It is $60.00USD per weapon traveling anywhere else in Africa

It is $100.00USD per weapon traveling from US to South Africa.

Nothing was said about SAA charging for ammo case.

These rates are one way. Double that amount round trip.

To save that surcharge/fee, select another airline that currently doesn't charge a weapon(s) transport fee to get to Africa.....unfortunately SAA is the only airline authorized to transport weapons in South Africa.

Anyone who has experience with when, where and how this weapon fee is collected PLEASE, chime in. All I was told .....the extra fee is to be paid when I take my flight from JNB to PE... .

K Huntalot,

You can either save the $140.00 SAA charges to do your SAPS rifle permit(s) by TAKING A CHANCE and doing it yourself or use a preapproval permit service like Henry Rifle Permits, which will also cost. But the folks at Henry will insure your SAPS permits are in order before you arrive and they will be with you to make sure you are processed quickly through SAPS and on your way.

In Sept they wanted the fees paid in cash. They tried to use my credit card, but something wasn't working. Take exact change if you can. Unlikely they will have change for you.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg