Upcoming Adventure

Probono

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Kenya, South Africa, Zim, Uganda, USA
I am going to share my experiences as I prepare for this hunt. If no one is interested, I'll just drift off and tell "sea stories" at deer camp. But maybe you're thinking of going.

Hunting plains game in Namibia early September. I'll be in the central highlands at about 4,000 ft. The territory looks relatively flat, with hilly areas. Vegetation is what I think they call bushveldt, grass, low trees (everything has thorns). Temperature when I'm there probably mid 80's during the day, chilly at night. Compared to my experiences in the Rockies, it looks (I may eat these words) easy. We will hunt on foot and put in some miles, however. Base is a "camp" that looks embarrassingly luxurious. Namibia has a German colonial history, but the first language of my hosts is Afrikaans. I'm told everyone speaks English.

Lessons so far:

Cost for the hunt is indeed a bargain compared to serious guided hunts in the US, but there are other costs. Airfare is a bit more than a trip to Denver, and it is a long trip time-wise. I will drive to Detroit (a few hours for me), take an overnight non-stop to Frankfurt, long layover, then another overnight to Windhoek. So, one luggage transfer. My PH will meet me at the airport, and camp is an hour and a half drive. Of course, there is paperwork for traveling with a rifle, but so far not too bad. Trophies have to be prepared and shipped, cost TBD.

Then, vaccinations. CDC maintains a good list. While central Namibia is not a malaria area, they recommend hepatitis A and B, typhoid, and rabies (common in dogs there, and post exposure treatment may be far away). Rabies vax is cheap for dogs, not for humans, and it is unlikely to be covered by insurance. Hepatitis is a 6 month process, so plan ahead. I almost missed that one. Add a travel emergency health policy, and you're into a few bucks.

Now, the fun part. Essentially all shooting is from "sticks". Practice is highly recommended, and I will second that. Compared to offhand, it's a piece of cake, but it is different than most of our experience. I'm a pretty good shot, and my initial runs on sticks were not bad, but I still need a lot of practice. Every shot is a "money shot" in Africa.

Now, I have never heard a hunter say "never again" about Africa. I am really looking forward to this trip, and maybe another. But give yourself a long lead time if you're thinking of giving it a try.

I'm sure it'll be a great experience. I'd love to do a Namibia trip, but their ban on handgun hunting is a bit of a deterrent to me. May still do it one day but Moz and Zim beckon. If I was primarily a rifle shooter then Namibia would absolutely be on the "must do" list.

Exciting times ahead! We look forward to the report!

I leave in 6 weeks for a 20 hunt in Namibia will be my 5th time, shooting 40 shots a day with my 22 just to get back on the sticks. Will move to a center fire rifle in 3 weeks. Enjoy your self and take what Africa gives you.

Planning is part of the fun. We all do it, so don't feel guilty or shy about sharing your "dream." I live in Southeastern Michigan where do you live ? I've only hunted Africa twice and would be happy to share my experiences with you via phone. Send me a PM if you want to talk.

Sounds like you‘ll have a great hunt. You have the details pegged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg