Unprovoked Cape Buffalo Charge

I posted this video for 2 reasons: The first being that the video's creator is a good friend who is also an exceptionally talented hunting videographer. I thought many here would enjoy seeing his work, and possibly consider using his services on a future hunt.... The second reason being is that I thought you all might enjoy a vicarious hunting experience in a time where we all could use some good distraction with a passion that most of us here share.

If you read the backstory on Melcom's YouTube channel, he explains that they did not shoot the buffalo when it was broadside because the PH had not yet gotten a good look at the bosses and was unsure of the quality & age of the bull. As far as when the okay was given to shoot, none of us where there to evaluate what was going on so the arm-chair PH-ing is petty and undeserved in my opinion. This was not a Limcroma hunt, and I have no idea where the hunt took place or who the outfitter was. Melcom offers his services to hunters and outfitters all over the world.... I didn't post this video to create a debate on ethics, and quite frankly I am not in the mood lately to entertain any more negativity than we are all already dealing with... If Jerome sees fit, he can certainly pull the thread.

Your not in the mood.....really and who do you think is?.......you posted the video we just commented....simple.... If you don't want people to comment don't put things on......and not someone who watches YouTube hunting videos as a lot are crap......so you should have posted the full story explaining ...then you wouldn't have to throw your toys out of the pram.....

What amazes me is that old buff that has spent his life getting to that age and evading every other predator and didn't notice a few heavyweights walking up and standing in the open like that...even the oxpeckers were slack!

Pretty loose definition of unprovoked as well. You sneak up on an animal known for a bad temper and stand, what, 40yds away waiting for it to see you? That's like saying a guy who hits another guy for standing toe to toe and refusing to move out of the way did so unprovoked.

What amazes me is that old buff that has spent his life getting to that age and evading every other predator and didn't notice a few heavyweights walking up and standing in the open like that...even the oxpeckers were slack!

Actually if you look at the video they went to the open where the buffalo finally saw them when they moved to the left from behind the trees. Great stalk.

Your not in the mood.....really and who do you think is?.......you posted the video we just commented....simple.... If you don't want people to comment don't put things on......and not someone who watches YouTube hunting videos as a lot are crap......so you should have posted the full story explaining ...then you wouldn't have to throw your toys out of the pram.....

Hello Friend,

You are quite right that you certainly have the right to post whatever comments you like to anything posted here (withing the forum rules of course). As I stated, my intention was not to create an ethical debate. If the video has created an ethical dilemma for anyone, you have my sincere apologies. That was not certainly not my intention...

So, if pissing all over this post is what you feel is appropriate and necessary, by all means have at it... Not sure what "throwing my toys out of the pram" means? Maybe you can explain that one to me? (n) It sounds interesting, and I always enjoy learning new things...

On a side-note, I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

Thanks for posting the video. To be honest I would prefer dealing with a charge over taking a broadside shot any day. The biggest adrenalin rush I ever had was an elephant charge at 15 meters and it wasn't the one were tracking so it was a total surprise. If I could duplicate it, I would, each and every time.

Then again, I also used to jump out of perfectly functioning airplanes. ;)

Its a shame we don't know more about the buffalo. It appears to have a very nice set of horns! Anyone want to guess on the size? 49" perhaps?

No guest stops a buffalo without Ph.

@Foxi ....Are you implying that your PH always takes a follow up shot on a Buff hunt, or do I just misunderstand your post?
I have only hunted buffalo once (would love to go again). My one shot killed the buff. The PH did not fire. Any of the other posters on this thread please comment and square me away if I am not understanding the comment.

@firehuntfish . Am very jealous of the pics you post every summer of the trout fishing trips you and the wife make out west!!! Keep it up!

Good camera work, although I prefer hunting without a camera man.

Hello Friend,

You are quite right that you certainly have the right to post whatever comments you like to anything posted here (withing the forum rules of course). As I stated, my intention was not to create an ethical debate. If the video has created an ethical dilemma for anyone, you have my sincere apologies. That was not certainly not my intention...

So, if pissing all over this post is what you feel is appropriate and necessary, by all means have at it... Not sure what "throwing my toys out of the pram" means? Maybe you can explain that one to me? (n) It sounds interesting, and I always enjoy learning new things...

Try asking Mr Google. ...would hate to piss allover the thread as you seem to be doing ok...:D Beers:

@firehuntfish . Am very jealous of the pics you post every summer of the trout fishing trips you and the wife make out west!!! Keep it up!

We usually head out that way in August. After a couple of weeks of fly fishing, we also have a velvet whitetail hunt planned for the first week of September in Wyoming... I really hope we get to make it out there....

Try asking Mr Google. ...would hate to piss allover the thread as you seem to be doing ok...:D Beers:

For everyone who was as interested as I was, here is the most common definition of the expression:

What does 'Throw your toys out of the pram" mean?

To make an angry protest against a relatively minor problem, in the process embarrassing the protester. The analogy is with a baby who throws toys out of the pram in order to get their parent to pay attention to them. The implication in the idiom is that the protester is acting like a baby.

LMFAO...! Yes, that's me exactly...!

@Foxi ....Are you implying that your PH always takes a follow up shot on a Buff hunt, or do I just misunderstand your post?
I have only hunted buffalo once (would love to go again). My one shot killed the buff. The PH did not fire. Any of the other posters on this thread please comment and square me away if I am not understanding the comment.

He said "stopped", which implies a charge.

For everyone who was as interested as I was, here is the most common definition of the expression:

What does 'Throw your toys out of the pram" mean?

To make an angry protest against a relatively minor problem, in the process embarrassing the protester. The analogy is with a baby who throws toys out of the pram in order to get their parent to pay attention to them. The implication in the idiom is that the protester is acting like a baby.

LMFAO...! Yes, that's me exactly...!
You really had to look that up to understand what he was saying?

You sneak up on an animal known for a bad temper and stand, what, 40yds away waiting for it to see you?

Hi Albert,

They are not waiting for the buffalo to see them.. The PH was waiting to get a frontal view to be able to accurately judge the age and trophy quality. This is not a buffalo that they were hunting, and when they came upon it, they wanted to make sure it was an animal they wanted to take. One of the most challenging aspects of a buffalo hunt is being disciplined with your patience and focus while waiting for the green light to shoot.

You really had to look that up to understand what he was saying?

I thought is was pretty obvious I was being facetious in a good humored way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross