United (Star Alliance) to Namibia

Mountaineer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I noticed United has no flights to Namibia. Does anyone know why?

US airlines are only going to get you to Johannesburg. From Johannesburg you’ll have to take a different airline. It’s just way it’s always been. United was previously in partnership with South African airways before covid and them going bankrupt.

United and Lufthansa are both Star Alliance. Lufthansa flies direct from Frankfurt to Windhoek. You can fly either from the US to FRA, but most flights will give you a long layover in Germany.

Ethiopian Air is also a star alliance partner--I flew United to DC and Ethiopian Air to Ethiopia and then Windhoek two weeks ago. I got miles with United for the trip.

14 hours from DC to Ethiopia--60 min layover and 5.5 hours to Windhoek. Arrived at 1:20 PM in Windhoek.

Ethiopian Air is also a star alliance partner--I flew United to DC and Ethiopian Air to Ethiopia and then Windhoek two weeks ago. I got miles with United for the trip.
It’s amazing how quick I’m proven wrong and I only flew Ethiopian/United a month ago (to Harare).

Sorry, I should have been more specific. There are no award flights to Namibia.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. There are no award flights to Namibia.
Yes there are - any Star Alliance member. If you book your flight through United to Windhoek through Frankfurt you will receive United Miles for the full trip.

That applies everywhere. I just flew Austin, Chicago, Vienna, with the primary leg on Austrian Air and received total mileage credit from United with whom I booked the tickets.

Last edited:
I’m referencing “using rewards” not “getting rewards.” If you do a search in United.com to redeem miles for a free flight it returns N/A for December of this year and all of next year to Namibia. Last summer there were several options through Europe or Ethiopia. Now there is Zero.

I misunderstood. I expect there will be a lot of limitations on using miles, particularly between airlines, until their balance sheets begin to look normal again.

I’m referencing “using rewards” not “getting rewards.” If you do a search in United.com to redeem miles for a free flight it returns N/A for December of this year and all of next year to Namibia. Last summer there were several options through Europe or Ethiopia. Now there is Zero.
United's reservation system seems to be "broken". Even if you specify "all airlines" and request FRA to WDH it responds that it can't find any flights. However, if you go to the Lufthansa site, it shows many flights available.

You can call UAL and tell them what you want to do. If you do book through them (which you have to do to use your miles) you can get them to waive the fee for booking through an agent by pointing out that it wasn't possible through their online system. It's all a game and you just have to get creative. For example, you may need to book your flight to JNB and then on a separate record a flight from JNB to WDH. (I'm a "pro" at this game. :) )

Be aware that the miles required to fly on a partner airline is higher than if you fly the same route on UAL.

If you can afford the miles fly business class for the international segments. It is well worth it. First class is not.

Your best approach is to call them and find a "friendly" agent and get that person to help you through the maze. If you get an unfriendly one, make an excuse and terminate the call. A good one can make all the difference in the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross