Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
Returned home yesterday and figured I would drop a few lines about the flight over/back with United connecting in Newark to Joberg.
We traveled with 2 rifles in one case with initial check-in at the Nashville airport. Was mindboggling easy at Nashville. Only opened the case at the counter to put in the declaration slip. No interaction with TSA or CBP.
All luggage checked through to JNB. Used small TSA locks on the main luggage but Masters on the rifle case.

Everything showed up at JNB in one piece so no complaints. Did notice they went in the luggage with the ammo case but it was relocked and all good.

Return trip is where it got fun...
Check-in at JNB counter was smooth, trip down to SAPS to drop off rifle case and sign out of the log book was also nice and quick.

We landed in Newark at 0600 with our Nashville flight at 1040 so plenty of time. (One would think).
We were one of the first few to deboard and headed to the Global Entry kiosks. 30 sec later I asked a security agent were I needed to go to claim/recheck my rifles. Was directed to the area where you wait till all rifles arrive and then the agent calls you up one by one in the order of earliest departure of connecting flights. Us having a 4.5hr layover put us at number 14/dead last. The agents were all curtious and as long as your paperwork and bolt is removed your good to go. Seen several that thought they could check they buddys firearm and that didnt go over well. Nor did the ones leaving the bolts in their rifles.
Anyway, they stack everyones cases on a cart and instructed us that all locks must be left unlocked as TSA will relock them for us once they do their reinspection. This didnt sit well for 4 of us with cases and we all insisted we would follow the cart to wherever it was headed until we knew for sure ourr cases were secured. The other 10 folks just left and headed to their gates I guess.

After about an hour or so of waiting in a hallway, one rep came out and told us our firearms were all good and locked up again. All of us present wanted to see our cases to verify but that wasn't gonna happen even after heavy protest.
Made it to our connection gate with 30 min to spare.

Luggage and rifles arrived in Nashville so that was a relief. Both our TSA locks on the luggage were cut and the wire tied in a knot.

My take aways from the travel portion.

1. ATL connection with Delta is MUCH more efficient.
2. United service was decent to good, food was mediocre at best.
3. Newark process is broken/flawed but works.
4. Plan on a dead minimum layover of 4 hrs.
5. Global Entry does not help speed anything up if traveling with firearms.

I would connect through Newark again assuming I had ample connection time. Process is frustrating but completely doable for anyone.

Wow, what’s the point in cutting TSA locks?

Thanks for the report!!! I'm flying from Newark to Johannesburg with a rifle next July. That's the only flight, no connections or anything. I'm planning on giving them plenty of time and having the bolt out of my gun. Thanks!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois