AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
UK, South Africa, Namibia, Sweden
Well after getting my new rifle, 8 months later I finally got it set up, new scope, mounts,sound moderator and zeroed ready to go. So yesterday evening I took my new Sauer 404 in 30.06 out for its first trip. I drove around some of my stalking areas just to see what was around after a while I ended up at a small neighbouring property of about 100 acres in the bottom of a small valley surrounded by woodland . I park up the landrover by the old converted mill house take my binoculars , sticks and new Sauer I load the magazine and chamber a round safety on and off into the gardens of the mill. The owners are away, I know because I look after their dog. The deer have been eating there way through the flower boarders again and it is always good when they collect their dog to tell them I have managed to cull a deer in the garden. The only signs in the garden are fresh muntjac droppings I walk along the mown path into the orchard and begin to walk up the slope to the grass field behind the mill as I reach the edge of the orchard a fallow doe jumps out of the long grass and heads back to the woods on the valley side. Fallow are out of season now and she will have a fawn bedded down near by I walk on into the meadow.
P1030150.JPG

There is no wind this evening everything is still and the air is warm we are having a nice summer in the uk this year. I continue along the mown path through the meadow expecting to see some fallow in the tall grass but nothing is making its presence known. I reach a small area of scrubby woodland that separates this meadow from the next.
P1030149.JPG

I enter through the old gateway and proceeded slowly checking both to my left and right you never known what may be stood just inside half way through this piece of ground it is decision time.

P1030148.JPG

do I go left and come out at the lower side of the meadow or right and come out at the top this evening I choose left and carry on you could hear a pin drop it is so quiet as I exit this wooded area peer out into the meadow a small step and look left and right
P1030146.JPG

every step forward the pathway opens up and reveals more of the meadow this is when to take your time.
P1030147.JPG

As I reach the point there the track opens into the field I look to my right and there is a reddish brown shape in the tall grass no more than 20 meters away. Instantly I recognise a roe deer it is a small roe doe busy feeding. I set up my sticks place the rifle and look through the scope place the cross hairs on her, I am surprised she has not heard me with it being so quiet. I lift my head to watch her roe does are in the closed season here as well. As I begin to wonder how long it will take her to notice my presence I spot movement to my left in the long grass. I watch the grass parting what ever is there is heading towards the roe doe then I spot a set of small antlers come into view through the seed heads of the grass. It is a young buck 25 meters away both roe are oblivious to my presence. I return to the scope and find the antlers in the grass. I follow them down to the top of the head down through the head to the neck and squeeze the trigger.
P1030152.JPG

so a successful first outing with my new rifle a nice cull roe buck destined for my freezer .
P1030153.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well told story sir! And it's always good to put a little meat in the freezer

Thanks for sharing, enjoy your rifle

Excellent story! Congrats!

What a very nice area you have to hunt in. Great story, thanks.

Congratulations on all counts.
Thanks for sharing your stroll in the meadow.

Great story- really enjoyed your writing style!

Well done and congrats. Always nice to break in a new rifle properly. Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross