UNITED KINGDOM: An Unusual Roe Buck Hunt

Shavesgreen

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
I took a very close friend out on Friday evening to look for a buck. The stalk started well with a dog fox taken at 230 yards off the sticks. An hour later while stalking through an area of flooded meadow a buck got up in front and stopped at about 60 yards giving just enough time to place a shot. He went 3 yards and dropped. Only when I got to him did I realise just how special he is! Not bad for a first trophy animal......

buck 3.jpg

buck 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a unique trophy. Great job. Good for you.

Very cool!

Congrats, nice trophy! Where did you get him?

Nice buck Charly.

Well done for your hunter, good to see you getting out there.

Best regards,
Paul.

I've seen (and shot) a few, but that one is definitely special. Where and in what country did you shoot him?

Thanks guys!

He was taken on my home patch in The New Forest, Hampshire, UK. Heads like this turn up every once in a while and are usually caused by some damage or illness but I couldn`t find anything wrong with this buck.

Thanks guys!

He was taken on my home patch in The New Forest, Hampshire, UK. Heads like this turn up every once in a while and are usually caused by some damage or illness but I couldn`t find anything wrong with this buck.

I've seen this happen when the antlers were hit in the velvet. The animal can be quite healthy, and might next year produce a perfectly normal set (unless, of course, it meets you or me!).

He's trying to become a whitetail deer.

A really odd shape.

nice trophy one like that would sure be welcome on my wall.

That's a goofy looking roe!

Thanks guys!

Congratulations!
I have probably shot way over 50 trophy roedeers and, believe me, this is quite an unusual trophy.
Since the basis of the antlers look healthy and normal (correct?), I would guess that the anomaly is probably due either to a wound to the velvet, or a bacterial/fungal skin disease on the velvet. I would even suspect that this buck would have a normal trophy next year...
Abnormal heads can also sometime happen due to deep wound at the skull basis (broken bones), but it is fairly uncommon.
Again, you are a lucky hunter, some would pay a hefty price for such a trophy. Hope you made a shoulder mount!

Congratulations!
I have probably shot way over 50 trophy roedeers and, believe me, this is quite an unusual trophy.
Since the basis of the antlers look healthy and normal (correct?), I would guess that the anomaly is probably due either to a wound to the velvet, or a bacterial/fungal skin disease on the velvet. I would even suspect that this buck would have a normal trophy next year...
Abnormal heads can also sometime happen due to deep wound at the skull basis (broken bones), but it is fairly uncommon.
Again, you are a lucky hunter, some would pay a hefty price for such a trophy. Hope you made a shoulder mount!

The hunter was my good friend, it was his first ever Roe buck. Everything you say above is correct and I would agree with you on this one but I watched this buck last year and he had a similar antler formation. I will wait for a better cape to mount this one, he was a bit rough!!

Then I stand corrected, interesting!
Would be nice to check whether the antler/bone connection is abnormal...
Best

Here are some more pics of the boiled head. I am open to any explainations for this formation!

Can not open it, can you repost?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg