UNITED KINGDOM: An Unusual Roe Buck Hunt

Shavesgreen

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
I took a very close friend out on Friday evening to look for a buck. The stalk started well with a dog fox taken at 230 yards off the sticks. An hour later while stalking through an area of flooded meadow a buck got up in front and stopped at about 60 yards giving just enough time to place a shot. He went 3 yards and dropped. Only when I got to him did I realise just how special he is! Not bad for a first trophy animal......

buck 3.jpg

buck 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Stretch

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA , Canada, Botswana
What a unique trophy. Great job. Good for you.

Martin

AH senior member
Reaction score
Website
www.berndt-taxidermy.de
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DJV, VDP, NTA
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Zimbabwe, USA (WY, TX), Canada, Kyrgyzstan, Turkey, Latvia, Scotland, UK, Estonia, Germany
Congrats, nice trophy! Where did you get him?

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
Nice buck Charly.

Well done for your hunter, good to see you getting out there.

Best regards,
Paul.

timbear

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA, NZDA
Hunted
Germany, NZ, Australia
I've seen (and shot) a few, but that one is definitely special. Where and in what country did you shoot him?

Shavesgreen

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Thanks guys!

He was taken on my home patch in The New Forest, Hampshire, UK. Heads like this turn up every once in a while and are usually caused by some damage or illness but I couldn`t find anything wrong with this buck.

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

timbear

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA, NZDA
Hunted
Germany, NZ, Australia
Thanks guys!

He was taken on my home patch in The New Forest, Hampshire, UK. Heads like this turn up every once in a while and are usually caused by some damage or illness but I couldn`t find anything wrong with this buck.

I've seen this happen when the antlers were hit in the velvet. The animal can be quite healthy, and might next year produce a perfectly normal set (unless, of course, it meets you or me!).

Norwegianwoods

Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, England, South Africa

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
He's trying to become a whitetail deer.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
A really odd shape.

Bobpuckett

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
Hunted
USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
nice trophy one like that would sure be welcome on my wall.

bwanawannabe

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
Sask. Wildlife Federation
Hunted
Canada, Zambia, Azerbaijan, U.S., Japan, Kyrgyzstan
That's a goofy looking roe!

jepetto62

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
la diana
Hunted
Switzerland, France, Belgium, Sweden, Poland, Mauritius,Namibia, SA, Zimbabwe, Canada, New Foundland, Yukon, BC, Alaska, Argentina
Thanks guys!

Congratulations!
I have probably shot way over 50 trophy roedeers and, believe me, this is quite an unusual trophy.
Since the basis of the antlers look healthy and normal (correct?), I would guess that the anomaly is probably due either to a wound to the velvet, or a bacterial/fungal skin disease on the velvet. I would even suspect that this buck would have a normal trophy next year...
Abnormal heads can also sometime happen due to deep wound at the skull basis (broken bones), but it is fairly uncommon.
Again, you are a lucky hunter, some would pay a hefty price for such a trophy. Hope you made a shoulder mount!

Shavesgreen

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Congratulations!
I have probably shot way over 50 trophy roedeers and, believe me, this is quite an unusual trophy.
Since the basis of the antlers look healthy and normal (correct?), I would guess that the anomaly is probably due either to a wound to the velvet, or a bacterial/fungal skin disease on the velvet. I would even suspect that this buck would have a normal trophy next year...
Abnormal heads can also sometime happen due to deep wound at the skull basis (broken bones), but it is fairly uncommon.
Again, you are a lucky hunter, some would pay a hefty price for such a trophy. Hope you made a shoulder mount!

The hunter was my good friend, it was his first ever Roe buck. Everything you say above is correct and I would agree with you on this one but I watched this buck last year and he had a similar antler formation. I will wait for a better cape to mount this one, he was a bit rough!!

jepetto62

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
la diana
Hunted
Switzerland, France, Belgium, Sweden, Poland, Mauritius,Namibia, SA, Zimbabwe, Canada, New Foundland, Yukon, BC, Alaska, Argentina
Then I stand corrected, interesting!
Would be nice to check whether the antler/bone connection is abnormal...
Best

Shavesgreen

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Here are some more pics of the boiled head. I am open to any explainations for this formation!

jepetto62

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
la diana
Hunted
Can not open it, can you repost?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vuasoikeoclub

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?