United cancelled evening before trip

The one I'm looking at has a 1.5 hour layover in Dubai which seems a little quick but should be ok. All of the Qatar flights that I see go to Joburg from Doha. is that the same path you're taking?
I would be looking for a 23 hr layover in Dubai if it was me.

That's what I flew last year and I did enjoy the airport there in Doha. The mint lime juice they have on the plane is enough for me to fly Qatar again :LOL: the food on the plane was as good as 95% of any restaurant you will go to. The one layover we had was around 9 hours and that was miserable but the lounge was good so that helped a lot.

I know people need to save money and look at alternatives or they are tied into a brand like I am with Delta with all my sky miles and sky mile status/upgrades but if you aren't really tied to any airline, it's worth looking at Qatar for better reliability that the flight will happen and the quality of service that they provide.
Those skymiles Pesos are worthless to JNB is the problem most of the time. Not ever a low saver award seat in coach or Biz on that ATL route and upgrades don't apply to international.

@Buck51 Sounds like you dealings with United was........................... wait for it...................un-bearable.

It gets worse. I am currently sitting in a hotel room in Bangor Maine after my Bangor to Newark flight was delayed and oversold. The gave us boarding passes written in ink. We boarded and guess what! Our seats belonged to someone else. So we deboarded got luggage and guns off plane. Then our connector got cancelled due to staffing. Rebooked on flights for Sunday. Then, while I was on the phone(nearly 2 hours) with United rep arguing about refunds….one of our flights for Sunday got cancelled due to WEATHER. So I cancelled all my United flights and rebooked on American to the same airport within 2 hours of same arrival time. I guess American Airline planes do better in 15percent chance of light rain and 6 MPH winds than United. Unbelieveable

However we did get a couple pretty good Black Bear.View attachment 467380View attachment 467377
Two nice bears! Looks like you had a great hunt despite the return flights mess.

Good luck getting a refund from United. They have had my money now for nearly 4 months. I feel your pain.................FWB

I have flown out of JFK when SAA was using it. I had no issues with JFK with the exception I don’t like two armed security guards by my side ever second after I told the agent at the ticket counter we had firearms. No one cared when I was just walking around the airport with a gun case.
I had the same experience at JFK. No real issue just the NYC cops look at you like you are some kind of a threat! One of those situations where you just need to know the letter of the law.

I am not made of money and I too dislike long flights in smaller seats I have found not chasing the cheapest flights and traveling longer with a Qatar in coach seems at least reliable. Doing this I will pay anywhere between $1600 to $2200 round trip starting in Atlanta. Yes 33 hours versus Delta 15 but I can rely on Qatar. Bummer and not pleasant I know but quickly forgotten once I am in Africa
Might check your math. Depending on exact flights should be 15 versus 23 hours. For me from DFW to JNB it is 21 hours for Delta and 25 for Qatar Approx. And yes Qatar has been more reliable!

Qatar Air cancelled service from Doha to Arusha (only, of course, for the day I was flying). So I lost my pre-hunt rest day in Arusha due to charter scheduling out of Arusha to camp. Will have to spend my rest day in camp, then TWO extra days in Arushe prior to returning to the States. So I am adding an extra day and night at Ngorongoro Crater to, yep, view wildlife!

It appears the passenger count is not there for profitable flights out of Doha to certain destinations. Qatar is, it seems, following in the footsteps of our Domestic carriers.

It appears the passenger count is not there for profitable flights out of Doha to certain destinations. Qatar is, it seems, following in the footsteps of our Domestic carriers.
The trouble is the lingering COVID regs. There are still many who will not fly for fear of quarantine and this will continue to be the case as long as testing is required.

The trouble is the lingering COVID regs. There are still many who will not fly for fear of quarantine and this will continue to be the case as long as testing is required.
Boy isn't that the truth. Almost everyone I talk to says nope not going tell covid BS is done. My problem is the way world is right now who knows if a guy will even be able to go in the future. So get it done now no matter the headaches.

Boy isn't that the truth. Almost everyone I talk to says nope not going tell covid BS is done. My problem is the way world is right now who knows if a guy will even be able to go in the future. So get it done now no matter the headaches.
We turn 70 this year. I was in Austria and Zambia last year. Have or will be in Argentina, Spain, and a European river cruise this year. If it is possible to travel, we are going. Taking a year or two or three off is problematic at our age.

@Red Leg, Am in the same boat albeit 75. One never knows how many good years of health are left to allow travel. As far as waiting for covid to go away? fuggeddaboutit. Like the woman told Forrest Gump about her bus, "there'll be another coming along, soon".

We turn 70 this year. I was in Austria and Zambia last year. Have or will be in Argentina, Spain, and a European river cruise this year. If it is possible to travel, we are going. Taking a year or two or three off is problematic at our age.
Yep the wife and I made our 60th trip around the sun this year so I know what your saying . Starts a guy to thinking about getting things done. Glad your doing as much as you can.

I hit 69 in April. Six trips this year all domestic. One got cancelled in Jan due to weather and pilot shortage with Alaska Air. My financial advisor’s advice is the next 10 years are all within my control and should be the best in my life. I hope I can get my health advisor to agree!

United customer service in Newark reaches new low. Saw this on the news last night. Apparently the customer was using an airline's wheelchair for his luggage. The United agent wanted the wheelchair and the discussion quickly escalated. The customer is apparently a pro football player in Canada.

https://news.yahoo.com/video-shows-fight-between-united-092932263.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg