United cancelled evening before trip

I don't think they played bait and switch. Airlines having a real hard time with not enough pilots to fly the planes & routes.

I have a sample size of one: I flew Qatar, at the recommendation of @TRAVEL EXPRESS. I did not travel in any of their opulent sections - just the ones at the back. I did pay a small fee for an exit row seat, just to have easy access to the bathroom (one of those aging male things). I thought even the cheap seats were comfortable and roomy. I can't imagine making that flight with anyone else, and I hope to make good on that at some point.

P1010655.jpg

Waiting around to land is a very different set of calculations.

You ain't kiddin'. I circled Atlanta like a turkey buzzard for 70 minutes then the pilot says, "Atlanta is closed because of weather but we're low on fuel so we're landing in a closed airport...fasten your seat belts." I could literally see the runway from my side window we were crabbing into the wind so hard. The pilot snapped it straight and landed without much of a problem - everyone clapped.

You just have to remember that you need to land sooner or later in a certain time frame.

Taking off is a whole different matter, you can wait for days to do that.

Has anyone considered chartering a plane? I know it would take coordination for hunters to go at the same time, etc but I am curious if anyone has ever looked at that? I know that one of the businesses I do work with would allow their plane to be chartered in order to keep their pilots flying, keep the bird in the air, etc. Just curious if that gets to be too far out of price, or if it could possibly work for the right size group?

Got word last night at 7:50 pm that United cancelled my flight from Austin to Newark for today leaving at 11:00. They then cancelled my Newark to Joburg flight automatically and moved us to Wednesday. Lost my Premium Plus seats and only option is cattle class for my family. My assessment is United played a bait and switch on us and resold my $2000 seat booked in January for $5000+ to someone else. Reservations at Afton gone, transfer gone, hunting days lost, etc.
I've flown Delta on 10 trips to Africa and SAA in the old days. This was my first trip overseas on United and obviously will be my last. I have absolutely no recourse according to my travel agent. I'm glad I went to Africa when I did because this will be my last, if I go at all.

We are currently in the middle of a bear hunt and used United through Newark. They cancelled the second leg of our flight (due to weather) as we were boarding the plane. The weather was absolutely fine at that location! We rerouted to a destination 160 miles south. No weather and NO luggage! This occurred on Saturday. Currently ((Tuesday) 2 members of the group are still without rifles and one bag is completely missing! Not to mention car rental, hotel charges and hours of aggravation on the phone. I won’t say never but I will avoid United anytime I can!

I do believe they use the weather excuse to avoid refunds and other charges they would incur for a non weather related cancellation.

Has anyone considered chartering a plane? I know it would take coordination for hunters to go at the same time, etc but I am curious if anyone has ever looked at that? I know that one of the businesses I do work with would allow their plane to be chartered in order to keep their pilots flying, keep the bird in the air, etc. Just curious if that gets to be too far out of price, or if it could possibly work for the right size group?
it would cost 100k+ per person unless the bird was full.

I feel for you. Never liked UA and always fly Delta ATL to JNB. Delta seems more reliable, Atlanta is a better airport than Newark and Delta is great with guns and ammo.

We are currently in the middle of a bear hunt and used United through Newark. They cancelled the second leg of our flight (due to weather) as we were boarding the plane. The weather was absolutely fine at that location! We rerouted to a destination 160 miles south. No weather and NO luggage! This occurred on Saturday. Currently ((Tuesday) 2 members of the group are still without rifles and one bag is completely missing! Not to mention car rental, hotel charges and hours of aggravation on the phone. I won’t say never but I will avoid United anytime I can!

I do believe they use the weather excuse to avoid refunds and other charges they would incur for a non weather related cancellation.
Just as with the OP's situation, sounds like Newark is the "Bermuda Triangle" for connecting flights? The things reported here about the flying situation are only a tiny fraction of a percent of the enormity the MANY more hundreds of thousands of the flying public are experiencing currently. I wonder what the numbers would be of hunters/tourists travelling to Africa or anywhere else that have had flights cancelled and thus their trips ruined that we never hear of here on this forum? I'll bet it's in the many hundreds, maybe thousands? No easy solution all the way around.

Just looked at NE radar, only rain is in up-state New York, earlier storms may have dissipated but looks fishy.

I quit trying to figure airlines thought process years ago, leaving Boston our plane returned to the gate because a hose or something broke, after sitting in the airport for a couple of hours they announced anyone with a final destination of Atlanta they had a flight for them but anyone with connections out of Atlanta had to wait for another 2 hours. Go figure, seemed ass backwards to me.

I won't make excuses. I'm a million + miler on United and American. Used to travel internationally every other week. I don't know about Newark but I know DC metro had severe weather yesterday afternoon/evening, which is common in the MA and NE this time of year. Airlines are very hesitant to take weather delays these days because of the short of pilots, getting them positioned is difficult.

I suspect they did what they did out of risk aversion rather than malicious intent. Doesn't make it right

The former mandatory air carrier pilot retirement age was 60 then bumped to 65, now the airlines want it bumped to 67. Years ago when it cost 100k plus to get an ATP for flying a feeder route for 25k a year, many wannabe pilots said no thanks. I'm not living out of a suitcase for pizza delivery guy money with the hope in five years, I get on with a major. That chicken is now coming home to roost, i.e. a pilot shortage.
From this chair, it boils down to the flying public wanting cheap fares. They got them and the unintended consequences.

From the news wires 2 days ago.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., is considering introducing congressional legislation that could raise the mandatory airline pilot retirement age to at least 67 from the current age of 65, according to people familiar with Graham's plans. 2 days ago

The former mandatory air carrier pilot retirement age was 60 then bumped to 65, now the airlines want it bumped to 67. Years ago when it cost 100k plus to get an ATP for flying a feeder route for 25k a year, many wannabe pilots said no thanks. I'm not living out of a suitcase for pizza delivery guy money with the hope in five years, I get on with a major. That chicken is now coming home to roost, i.e. a pilot shortage.
From this chair, it boils down to the flying public wanting cheap fares. They got them and the unintended consequences.

From the news wires 2 days ago.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., is considering introducing congressional legislation that could raise the mandatory airline pilot retirement age to at least 67 from the current age of 65, according to people familiar with Graham's plans. 2 days ago

I remember years ago watching a documentary where a good number of these new ATP pilots were working two or three jobs, especially if they weren't fortunate enough to have family who could help pay for their training. Many of them regretted their decision to enter the aviation field. Nothing better than an overworked, underpaid, unhappy pilot with 100k in debt hanging over their heads at the controls.

Here we are years later where an ATP will still cost you 100k and rising and they're still scrambling. Only minor improvements have been made as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
LOL, you have to have pilots to get them off the ground to start with. Sounds like a lot of you guys have been through this debacle before. Thanks for letting me vent and get it off my chest. I'm already feeling better and trying to get mentally ready for the airline toilets flushing all night.
Adios!

LOL, you have to have pilots to get them off the ground to start with. Sounds like a lot of you guys have been through this debacle before. Thanks for letting me vent and get it off my chest. I'm already feeling better and trying to get mentally ready for the airline toilets flushing all night.
Adios!
Good luck on your hunt!!

it would cost 100k+ per person unless the bird was full.
I talked with the pilot. For 8 guys with a couple of fuel stops, 10 days on the ground in SA flight leaving from the Midwest, he said about $25k a head. Definitely not something I could ever afford, but if you wanted to make damn sure you got there with all of your gear on time and got home the same, it could be an option for some! :A Dance:

Got word last night at 7:50 pm that United cancelled my flight from Austin to Newark for today leaving at 11:00. They then cancelled my Newark to Joburg flight automatically and moved us to Wednesday. Lost my Premium Plus seats and only option is cattle class for my family. My assessment is United played a bait and switch on us and resold my $2000 seat booked in January for $5000+ to someone else. Reservations at Afton gone, transfer gone, hunting days lost, etc.
I've flown Delta on 10 trips to Africa and SAA in the old days. This was my first trip overseas on United and obviously will be my last. I have absolutely no recourse according to my travel agent. I'm glad I went to Africa when I did because this will be my last, if I go at all.
I’m so sorry to hear this. Don’t let a crap airline ruin Africa for you. Now what?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross