United cancelled evening before trip

Hombre

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Botswana, SA, Canada, NZ, Mexico
Got word last night at 7:50 pm that United cancelled my flight from Austin to Newark for today leaving at 11:00. They then cancelled my Newark to Joburg flight automatically and moved us to Wednesday. Lost my Premium Plus seats and only option is cattle class for my family. My assessment is United played a bait and switch on us and resold my $2000 seat booked in January for $5000+ to someone else. Reservations at Afton gone, transfer gone, hunting days lost, etc.
I've flown Delta on 10 trips to Africa and SAA in the old days. This was my first trip overseas on United and obviously will be my last. I have absolutely no recourse according to my travel agent. I'm glad I went to Africa when I did because this will be my last, if I go at all.

Just not right.
Would travel insurance cover this?

Travel agent claimed they cancelled ALL flights to Newark last night because of the predicted weather today. Not a cloud in sight this morning in Newark. This is all about no pilots and bait/switch to sell my cheap tickets at double the price to a late comer.

I am not disagreeing with your statement, but I want to share a little insight I learned the hard way when traveling to the east coast during this time of year. It is not uncommon to have afternoon thunder storms (or no pilots). Last year hunt, friend and I were traveling from Cleveland to Newark than on to J'burg. Our flight from Cleveland was delayed 4 times, we took off once and had to return to Cleveland due to storms on the east coast. We eventually made it to Newark 4 hrs after our flight to J'burg left. We eventually arrived in J'burg a day late. My bow and luggage didn't arrive until three days later. This year we are taking a morning flight and will have a 9hr layover in Newark.....

That sucks beyond comprehension. I am completely convinced that the majority of airlines are acting criminally in their business practices. These types of actions are atrocious, and no doubt they have the balls to do it because they have been labeled too big to fail.

I am not disagreeing with your statement, but I want to share a little insight I learned the hard way when traveling to the east coast during this time of year. It is not uncommon to have afternoon thunder storms (or no pilots). Last year hunt, friend and I were traveling from Cleveland to Newark than on to J'burg. Our flight from Cleveland was delayed 4 times, we took off once and had to return to Cleveland due to storms on the east coast. We eventually made it to Newark 4 hrs after our flight to J'burg left. We eventually arrived in J'burg a day late. My bow and luggage didn't arrive until three days later. This year we are taking a morning flight and will have a 9hr layover in Newark.....
That stinks for your trip, but I don’t see the comparison/insight to the OP’s experience.

Agree, I don’t have much confidence in United based on what I have read regarding repeated issues from others that have booked flights with them. Only reason we are flying with them this year was the cost.

That sucks beyond comprehension. I am completely convinced that the majority of airlines are acting criminally in their business practices. These types of actions are atrocious, and no doubt they have the balls to do it because they have been labeled too big to fail.

This, but the little guy has no recourse and they never suffer any consequences.

I only had one setback with United which resulted in an extra hunting day when they reduced their number of flights. Other than that it was smooth and pleasurable. That said I can't ignore the many troubles since my time with them in Sep.

So the question is, who would I fly with next time? Delta is expensive. Qatar is mentioned often but unless you can afford business class it's a long trip in those tiny seats. Ethiopian I'm not sold on.

That’s horrible, I don’t buy the weather story about possible weather problems. Back in 2018 we took off from Pensacola Florida in a named tropical storm ( don’t remember the name) with no issues.

My wife was flying from Norfolk VA to New York on American yesterday with a 10am departure. She received an 11PM text the night prior telling her she had been re-booked and her flight was cancelled due to weather. She missed her morning job interview. Seems like all airlines. Not just united.

I’m sorry brother, that is beyond frustrating! It does seem like this is the new normal in the travel world.

I hope you can salvage some thing out of this.

This is so sad, and can't believe our government is doing this to our country.

Travel agent claimed they cancelled ALL flights to Newark last night because of the predicted weather today. Not a cloud in sight this morning in Newark. This is all about no pilots and bait/switch to sell my cheap tickets at double the price to a late comer.

Some flights are going.

1652801547999.png

Sorry to hear your troubles
I just checked in on United for Houston Newark Johannesburg flights today.
Nothing mentioned so far other than delay on inbound Newark flight to Houston due to weather delay in take off. I am in Polaris also for all my flights.

That’s horrible, I don’t buy the weather story about possible weather problems. Back in 2018 we took off from Pensacola Florida in a named tropical storm ( don’t remember the name) with no issues.
I believe this is an example of the problems we are seeing today. Not that they can fly through tropical storms, but even in truly severe weather it isn’t uncommon for there to be “windows” of opportunity for flights to take off and land. Now certainly an entire days worth of flights couldn’t be squeezed into a small window of opportunity, but a preemptive cancellation is ridiculous. Particularly given the possibility of an inaccurate weather forecast, which is a given in my neck of the woods.

A reasonable business model would be for the airline to send notification to passengers with an explanation of likely cancellation, allowing those with flexible schedules to cancel or reschedule as fits their travel needs, and allow those with no flexibility to show up and pray for the best. An argument could be made that then a flight could be going across the ocean at a fraction of capacity, but I would counter that other flights would have actually been cancelled due to the bad weather and those passengers would have been rebooked on the flight that did fit into a window of opportunity.

If you sell a product or service, there is an obligation to provide it AS SOLD.

Just another sign of no accountability in today's world. It's all about the money and being able to chingalay customers. Weather was their only excuse but I guess a poor excuse is better than the truth for this business. FYI, They charged me an extra $90 to downgrade from Premium Plus to the bovine seats in front of the restrooms. You can't make this crap up!!!

I am a million miler with UA; consider it the best of a bad top three in the US. Won't defend them with respect to this situation other than note that taking off and landing are two very different things. I have sat on the tarmac, sometimes for hours awaiting a small break in the weather to launch. Waiting around to land is a very different set of calculations.

When I was young you couldn't shovel enough shit down my throat to keep me from going to Africa! Now it's a completely different story. Let me be clear, weather had nothing to do with the way United handled this. If you believe so, I've got a bridge I'll sell you in California.

The problem with airlines is that there is nothing you can really do to prevent this type of problem. Crap happens. I am just crossing my fingers that in 2 weeks that there is no problems with any of my flights going to South Africa. On the way back I can handle the delays but wont like them if there are any.

Seven years ago on my way back we landed in Dulles with a few hours to spare for out flight on United to Denver. Well there was one problem. United didn't have a plane for us to fly on. Five or so hours later after our original flight was suppose to depart our new plane landed and two hours after that we were off to Denver.

I’m starting to believe that the airlines are using the weather as an excuse, I’ve taken off and landed in all kinds of weather except ice, I just wish they would be honest if they don’t have pilots or crew just be up front with the customers and we would be a little more understanding.

If there is a connecting flight, there’s not much to do other than give yourself a buffer and accept a long layover or avoid the layover and take your chances. Whether or not the weather was a legit reason or they actually resold the seat and screwed you, the bottom line is the bottom line and unless you own the plane, you are at the mercy of the airlines. Sometimes with a well-worded email you can get a voucher but that’s the best you are going to do.

If a flight is overbooked, Red Leg with his million miles is going to get a seat and I’m getting bumped and fair enough. Sucks but that’s reality. aren’t taking off for him or anyone else if there’s weather or lack of pilots, etc.

I’ve had my best luck with Delta and was displeased with United but I think unless you get to the point of a million miles like Red Leg, personal experience really isn’t much to rely on because the sample size is just too small.

About 7 years ago, I decided to stop caring about how the airlines treated me and I’ve been happier traveling since. There is literally nothing I can do to change the system. I can choose not to be bothered by it. If they are delayed or they bump me I choose to spend the time enjoying a book or a cocktail rather than being pissed about the injustice of it. I fully recognize it’s a shit deal and can’t argue with being pissed about it but may as well get upset about the weather for all the good it will do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg