Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
upload_2019-10-30_18-26-38.png

Another way to get there!

A good option that keeps you from going thru NYC.

Heard about this a few months back, waiting to see what the cost will be..... but yes no JNB, JFK, ATL, or Dulles is a nice option!

Last edited:
Heard about this a few months back, waiting to see what the cost will be..... but yes no JNB, JFK, ATL, or Dulles is a nice option!

It is Newark, not sure that is necessarily better than Dulles, JFK, or ATL...but it is super nice to avoid JNB.

It appears there is no Premium Economy option available. I checked some other dates and B-class for $4k round trip can be had. B-class for 235k miles. Delta, ATL-JNB is more than twice the price for B-class and three times the miles.

upload_2019-10-31_7-19-32.png

It is Newark, not sure that is necessarily better than Dulles, JFK, or ATL...but it is super nice to avoid JNB.

Agreed, EWR actually dirtier and not "better" in my opinion, but much less crowded that the other three in the US, and avoiding JNB a huge plus! I was looking at it from a convenience factor as well as dealing with smaller crowds.

Last edited:
It appears there is no Premium Economy option available. I checked some other dates and B-class for $4k round trip can be had. B-class for 235k miles. Delta, ATL-JNB is more than twice the price for B-class and three times the miles.

View attachment 312612

Now those are some pretty good prices. I checked further out in the year and the prices not as good. I think they'll test the waters with low introductory pricing, then based on how many tickets they sell and the perceived demand, they will go up. But $1K round trip is pretty darn good! Of course that $k is the you pay your bag fees and for your seat option! The $1500 option is where your bags are "free" as well as your seat choices!

All in all still nice to have an additional option to get to SA!

Reactions: BWH

No airports are really fun to transit in or out of, but I went through JFK once and it actually wasn't too bad. And JNB isn't too bad either. Of course, I flew in and out of Lagos 3-4 times a year, for six years so I am relatively easy to please.

A good option that keeps you from going thru NYC.
. With all due respect I’ve lived all my life in New York (now a Georgia resident) and have been hunting/traveling thru JFK airport. Port authority police and customs have always been professional and courteous to me, and that’s a lot of trips with firearms. New York gets a lot of bad comments from non New Yorkers, but if you handle yourself respectfully and courteously you’ll be treated as such. Worse experience I ever had traveling with firearms was in LAX. Now that’s the one to avoid if possible.

Yeah I try to avoid LAX no matter.

Dulles isnt too bad but I fly out of there 20 to 30 times a year and usually a couple of trips a year with guns. I guess it depends on what you get use to.

I went through New York and Dulles with zero problems. Even with going through customs and having to drop my rifle off with TSA at Dulles they were were courteous to me and everything ended up with me in Colorado on the same plane.

There are stories about all the airports, some are true and some are what urban legends

This looks like a good way to go. I may do this the next time.

Love that there is another option of getting to Africa directly from the U.S.

One thing that sticks out is the arrival time in Cape Town - 6:00 PM. That likely means you will need to overnight there before connecting to other destinations, even within RSA. Wonder if that would complicate things if you are traveling with guns and having to change airlines once there?

More competition for DL200 is a good thing, maybe prices will come down. A flight that is not daily is not ideal traveling with guns. If something goes wrong it can spell trouble. Good news overall.
Philip

. With all due respect I’ve lived all my life in New York (now a Georgia resident) and have been hunting/traveling thru JFK airport. Port authority police and customs have always been professional and courteous to me, and that’s a lot of trips with firearms. New York gets a lot of bad comments from non New Yorkers, but if you handle yourself respectfully and courteously you’ll be treated as such. Worse experience I ever had traveling with firearms was in LAX. Now that’s the one to avoid if possible.
In 1983 I finished a safari in Zimbabwe and flew back into JFK as that was the only that you could fly into from SA at that time. In my gun case was my .30-06, .458 WM and a Ruger .357. I also had the customs paperwork and firearms permits for Zimbabwe and South Africa. On seeing the handgun the customs agent called in the Port Authority cops. The Port Authority cops promptly informed me that there was a mandatory one year jail sentence for bringing a handgun into New York City and I would be arrested. I told them that I wasn't going into the city, I was just going home to California. I was then informed that I was already in the city. I thought about this for a minute and told them that I didn't have the gun, they did. So if we just closed and locked the case they could carry it across the way where we could give to the nice young lady who would check it in as baggage and how would that work for them? They looked at each other and one of them said, "I guess that would work." He seemed disappointed. So while I walked over to the counter I had an armed guard to make sure that I gave the case to the ticket agent. So say what you want about NYC, but I haven't set foot in that God-forsaken place since then.

Doug, you almost got nailed by the Sullivan laws........and you would now be a convicted felon with no ability to own a firearm. Whew........quick thinking. I don't think that quickly.....I would still be waiting for Fredo or Billy-Boy to hear my appeal........going straight to Capetown is great if you don't have guns....we did this and took a train to Joburg and enjoyed the extra leg of the journey...........FWB

Doug, you almost got nailed by the Sullivan laws........and you would now be a convicted felon with no ability to own a firearm. Whew........quick thinking. I don't think that quickly.....I would still be waiting for Fredo or Billy-Boy to hear my appeal........going straight to Capetown is great if you don't have guns....we did this and took a train to Joburg and enjoyed the extra leg of the journey...........FWB
But I still don't understand why I had to think of it. I couldn't have been the first hunter to return from Africa with a handgun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross