United Airlines Newark to Jo'burg

That's good!!! I'm probably taking that route next July so I'm glad to hear you didn't have trouble.
Just out of curiosity, could I ask how much baggage you had with you and what they charged for it? Thanks!!
I traveled with a suitcase and a rifle case in United's Polaris Class seat so no charge for luggage.

I'm 6' 2" 195 so I splurged for premium economy. Wider seat and way more leg room. I can barely stand regular economy for 4 hours.
How is the Premium? I have it booked for next month. I'm 6'6" and need extra leg room.

How is the Premium? I have it booked for next month. I'm 6'6" and need extra leg room.

First time trying it but it looks better overall. I have bulkhead seats both ways so I'm hoping for even a little nore room. I honestly don't know if my lower back could handle standard economy for 15 hrs straight.

We shall see.

The secrete to surviving a 15 hour or longer flight in cattle class is to get up and move around some every hour. Even if it is just a trip to the restroom.

I go hunting in Arizona every year and drive it straight through for 15 hours. Besides one fuel stop we will stop usually one or two other times to relieve ourselves of the coffee or pop that we have consumed. This is in a pickup truck that is not designed for any comfort at all. Most of the time when we arrive either home or to where we are hunting we are a little stiff and it takes a little walking around to get our joints working again but we are quickly ready to go again.

United changed our return flight times and now I only have 1hr40min to get to my connecting flight to Milwaukee from Newark.
I will not have firearms, only bows, but will this be enough time to make my connection with customs and TSA, etc?
Thanks

BruceB: It's been 18 months since we transited Newark, so someone else may have more recent information. But ... on the return flight, we had to exit the secure portion of the airport and go through the entire TSA line again (and it was a loooong line). I think that you will be very hard-pressed to make your connection.

Outbound wasn't a problem, as you remained in the secure portion of the airport. But the return was a mess.

United changed our return flight times and now I only have 1hr40min to get to my connecting flight to Milwaukee from Newark.
I will not have firearms, only bows, but will this be enough time to make my connection with customs and TSA, etc?
Thanks
I took that route last August and I would want more time, customs took over an hour going through some souvenirs I had. Rifle just had to be run through the X-Ray machine and they checked the serial number.

Went thru Newark last June. No way to have made under 2 hours even without rifles. I had rifles and 4.5 hour layover. By time we did customs and recheck on guns I only had 35 min to get to spare at gate waiting to board

I went Denver to Newark and then to Jo'burg last September. I had no issues to Africa, but the flight from Jo'burg was delayed two hours. And I don't know why, but we did not make up any of that time on the return flight, so we landed 2 hours late. I had a 4 hour layover in Newark. After going through Customs and TSA, I got to my flight gate to Denver right when they started boarding. So I would make sure you have at least 4 hours between.

Two other hunters on the Jo'berg to Newark flight had 2-21/2 hours connections and missed them. So they had to rebook.

Also, I went through Travel Express and could not have been happier with Jenn's service. She also provided contact information for the Afton House in Jo'berg to overnight and who also assistance with my SA gun permit. I recommend the VIP Service.

Final note - my hunt was a non-trophy, non-exportable elephant in the Matetsi ECA with Steve Meyer of Lowveld Hunters (oneekaandsteve@gmail.com). Great hunt, actually was able to harvest two (one was a single tusker {not broken]).

1679241996146.png

Thanks

Last June coming back through Newark with guns there were at least 20 hunters with guns on the same flight. I had my paperwork and passport ready and was first to give them to TSA and last to get checked. I assume they took those with connections first but from deplaning until leaving the airport, it was close to an hour and a half.

Uugh. The next available flight will give us an 8 hour layover. Any suggestions?

You are at the mercy of the airlines.

On my first trip back Jennifer caught a scheduled flight with United. The original flight was taking of just as we walked out of customs at Dulles Airport. The flight that we were booked on was suppose to leave 3 hours later. Much to our surprise it was postponed for another 6 hours. So we just lounged around the airport, not much else you can do unless you want to see if there is another airline that is leaving sooner that you can book on.

I just got home from United on flight 187 from Tambo to Newark just yesterday. Newark was a pain. Leaving the secured area and having to endure TSA was a pain and it took time. We had a bit over 2 hours and made it easily, but there were only 2 of us with firearms so it didn't take them long. We didn't have to take a shuttle on the return flight, but we did when we went to Tambo to get to concourse C.

All the time I spent preparing to hunt in Africa I was worried about bringing rifles there. That turned out to be easy thanks to Rifle Permits. The pain the the rear was returning with it to the US and going through the system at Newark. Take your time. I had my 4457 forms filled out and the two TSA guys looked them and the rifle over closely. They let me know that they were in charge. I wasn't worried, I got in and out of Africa and had all the paperwork in order. I was a bit worried when the TSA person took my rifle and told me they'd get it to United for me. Then we had to go through the most unfriendly TSA security checks I've ever been through.

Leaving the secured area at Newark and having to reenter is crazy.

Without rifles will speed you up quite a bit. I'd be OK with an hour 40 minutes.

Also, when you go to the Newark airport you can't buy much with cash. You need a smartphone and credit card to buy a pack of gum. Cash is obsolete, darn near worthless in the Newark airport.

As for long layovers. The drinks are a lot cheaper at Tambo than they are at Newark or O'Hare.
Newark is the last airport I'd want to spend a long layover at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg