United Airlines keeping hunters from taking guns

SCI rocks, we had issue with United out of Orlando, said they could only check the bags not guns straight thru (we were connecting to SAA in Dulles). They did call someone at SAA and they agreed while we stood there ?????so they waved all overweight charges and SAA was waiting for us to check our guns at Dulles. SAA was great and did not seem surprized they say it is United rule?? so It was a pain but not a deal killer.

Not like the group of 4 hunters that was waiting to return to Atlanta at Joeburg, Delta left all their bags in Atlanta because the ammo was not in a locked box:confused: I mean all their bags guns and clothes so they all headed back to Atl to retreive their bags.

Oh you navy to love those government lobbyists!! :)

This goes along with what I heard about American airlines no longer letting guns on their planes.
I left Honolulu for LAX and checked my rifle and ammo both in Pelican cases and stored ammo in checked luggage with no issues. Just had to open both for inspection. TSA was notified by check in personnel, she said to wait a few minutes ( about ten) no TSA arrived, she said I was good to go. Qatar Airways was a little different, checking in, their counter personnel didn’t recognize my rifle case for what it was. Like everyone else stated, having your paperwork in order helped big time. Made sure the final destination was indicated on your tags (Bulawayo Zimbabwe) because they’ll short change you out of ignorance and was going to check thru only to Joberg. Arrived in Bulawayo everything arrived safely. Great hunt in Save, Sanoko area. Waiting form trip home in a few days.

Most of the check in problems for me seem to have been the individual doing the check in.

Whether this was ignorance, lack of training, new on the job (lack of experience ) or what, I cannot say, but when it happens, I am always glad to have started the process early. Better to wait an extra hour before boarding than to be last-minute -rushed and then concerned about what may have been done incorrectly.

All my recent international, non business flying has been as an American Airlines Platinum World Elite (3 million+ miles) with separate check in facility- never a waiting line so far and some of their personnel have actually checked guns and ammo before(experience).

My thanks to those of us that report poor service and problems with the handling of guns and ammo.
We can not afford to not report such poor service or it could worsen.

I think things are different in 2021 compared to the OP which was posted in 2012 ;)
Yup....been a while since the OP! For what it's worth, I flew United recently to and from Houston to catch my Emirates flights. No issues. In fact, the ladies in Houston on the return trip went out of their way to get us to TSA and on our way. There is construction in the airport which caused some confusion about which TSA post to go to. The agent called TSA...led us to the other end of the airport...and stuck with us until the guns were examined and cleared. Hat's off to them!

I have flown domestic and international carrying guns with Delta and United. Never had issues. Have flown many other airlines particularly in Europe and the Middle East, but never with firearms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois