United Airlines Connecting with Airlink in Jo’burg

Mountaineer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
United flys nonstop from New Jersey to Johannesburg and arrives at 5:45pm. I’ll be heading to Windhoek but the next flight on Airlink does not leave for Windhoek until 10:00am. I thought I may stay at the Afton house for the night. Has anyone tried to check their luggage through and not touch it in South Africa? I have flown from Windhoek to New Jersey via Johannesburg without touching my luggage but the connection time was only 3 hours. This direction will have a 16 hour layover. Thanks

When I went to Namibia in 2018, I was able to check my luggage and rifle through from JFK to Windhoek. However, all of my flights were SAA and I had a short layover in JNB. Are you using a travel agent?

Depends whether or not United has a share agreement with AirLink. For instance Qatar does, and my baggage (including rifle and ammunition) was checked through going and coming from Johannesburg to Lusaka, Zambia last month. Hopefully, you are using a Travel Agent with experience flying hunters with firearms. If you are not, then you need to sort this out with United and AirLink ASAP. All that said, I would assume that you will have to clear customs (and your rifle and baggage) in Johannesburg because you are entering the country and not remaining in transit. Best get working on all that SAPS paperwork. :rolleyes: I would suggest you contact Afton house for an assist with their expeditor when you land.

I did this in June; however, I picked up my luggage upon entry into SA, overnighted at City Lodge, and rechecked the next morning. On the way home, Airlink automatically transferred to Untited.

I don't believe you can leave rifles overnight. There is a time limit for rifle holds approx 8 -10 hrs. contact henry rifle permits to get exact info.if you stay inside airport hotel, fka intercontinental you can have nonrifles held overnight this is not the city lodge hotel. the hotel website explains situation can only bring carry on to hotel. Good luck I hope that you have great trip.

United probably will wether they know it or not check your bags through to windhoek. I did have to claim my rifle but my bag stayed in the airport. The problem with this is that my bag was rummaged through and my knife was stolen. I would tell united that under no circumstances is my bag to be booked clear through to windhoek. I took my gun to my room at city lodge. Frankly I would just stay there. Easy commute coming and going.

I used Gracy Travel and Bruce helped clear guns, get me to the hotel and check in the next morning. Walked me clear to security. He's a rockstar.

I did this in June; however, I picked up my luggage upon entry into SA, overnighted at City Lodge, and rechecked the next morning. On the way home, Airlink automatically transferred to Untited.

Did airlink check your bags through to Newark? I'm not sure if that's what you're saying. Debbie Gracy told me to try to get them to check them all the way through to the states so I didn't have to recheck in JB.

Did airlink check your bags through to Newark? I'm not sure if that's what you're saying. Debbie Gracy told me to try to get them to check them all the way through to the states so I didn't have to recheck in JB.
Yes. I checked them in with Airlink in Bulawayo and flew Untited from Joburg to Newark then on to Houston and my bags made it with me to my final destination.

Reactions: CJW
Wow. I think you were very fortunate. I flew the same Bulawayo to JNB to Newark in August and I collected and rechecked my bags in JNB. I had no confidence in Airlink checking my bags to the states as they were sadly undertrained. As a side note I finished my safari a day early but
was fold by Jennifer at Travel Express that if I wanted to leave earlier than my scheduled itinerary I would need three days notice to Airlink because I was traveling with firearms- even though they had flown me and my firearms to Bulawayo. Just an FYI

United probably will wether they know it or not check your bags through to windhoek. I did have to claim my rifle but my bag stayed in the airport. The problem with this is that my bag was rummaged through and my knife was stolen. I would tell united that under no circumstances is my bag to be booked clear through to windhoek. I took my gun to my room at city lodge. Frankly I would just stay there. Easy commute coming and going.

I used Gracy Travel and Bruce helped clear guns, get me to the hotel and check in the next morning. Walked me clear to security. He's a rockstar.
Bruce is the man have used them for eight trips.

Reactions: CJW
I used Gilbert at Africa Sky and he was Super!!

If you will be staying at Afton House then use them for your firearms clearance as well. If they are still offering gate VIP service (might have changed due to Covid rules) use the VIP service that includes meeting you at the gate, ushering through customs and doing the gun clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg