Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, SCI, NRA, RMEF
Hunted
USA, RSA, Canada, Namibia, New Zealand, Mexico
Hey guys,

I am planning a hunt in South Africa for Early June 2021. My past couple of trips I have flown Emirates and never had any problems with my rifles. In fact it was easy. But unfortunately, Emirates airfare is almost double the cost that of there competitors. I have never flown United with firearms. I was hoping to get your guys experience flying United with rifles.. My other option is American/British airways, but that goes through London...... so they are out as far as traveling with rifles.

I fly United with rifles and handguns all the time, I have never had a problem with them. I haven’t flown UA to Africa yet because they just started the route and the Plandemic got put in place. Call Lori or Jen @TRAVEL EXPRESS and they can make life simpler for you.

Have flown United with guns to Alaska with no issues. Have flown United to Austria and Germany several times in the past but was not carrying guns.

It is good that they now have 4 Africa nonstops. It gives folks options and hopefully puts price pressure on Delta. Get with a good travel agent and get their advice on guns and United.

Thanks guys. I think I am going to go with United. It sounds like they are gun friendly.

Thanks guys. I think I am going to go with United. It sounds like they are gun friendly.
Please report back with your experience. I looked at fares and United is considerably cheaper than Delta.

Will do and I will also report on my Safari.

Let us know cost.

Domestically I have flown them many times with rifles and handguns, never had any issues. I am also looking at them for my April trip, prices are great.

Virgin Atlantic is very gun friendly and no extra cost. I used them last year 2 gun case. Their Premium economy is great.

Does virgin Atlantic even fly to South Africa?

Yes, I have used them the last 4 years no issues. San Francisco to Heathrow nonstop. Leave SFO at 10pm get in early AM London time, use the day room in Heathrow airport sleep 6hrs during layover, 10pm red eye to JNB gets in 6-8 AM. Catch Domestic flight to Kimberly,Durban, Port Elizabeth, Nelpruit etc. I’ve done those. I may spend the night their or have PH pick me up that day depending on how long the drive is to camp. Usually I spend the night that way if something gets lost it will be their next day then go to camp. Multiple flights everyday to those towns insures no serious problems.

But how are they with firearms?

2019 I took a two gun case .375/.300 H&H no problems. If you really want to clear your own guns at JNB just land after 10 AM. I was the only one in the SAPS office-15minutes out. I pre filled out forms I got online since I had done it before. I didn’t need triplicates any more or at least they didn’t ask for them- and one letter of invitation even though I had three from the 3 different outfitters I hunted with. Pretty easy or perfect timing?

2019 I took a two gun case .375/.300 H&H no problems. If you really want to clear your own guns at JNB just land after 10 AM. I was the only one in the SAPS office-15minutes out. I pre filled out forms I got online since I had done it before. I didn’t need triplicates any more or at least they didn’t ask for them- and one letter of invitation even though I had three from the 3 different outfitters I hunted with. Pretty easy or perfect timing?
Branson owns one of the most expensive lodges in Kruger $1500 a night. Maybe some of those patrons hunt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois