CM McKenzie

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia
I’ve had this idea in the back of my mind for about ten years now. I found this whitetail skull while feeding cows about that long ago.

I have searched all over the web, and have not found another one like it. After completing it, I know why.
I started a few weeks ago with the skull and a couple of quarts of Bondo.
50C4D1B7-BEFF-45C0-8394-13B5F038AC27.jpeg

That could turn out looking great! If you could get it airbrushed to look like stained wood so it gave a carved appearance, you may be into something.

I’m looking forward to see how you finish it

I went a different route.

I have built a pile of saddles in my day. So I have a pretty good idea how leather works. I wanted to completely wrap it with leather. The problem you encounter. If you have leather that will mold to that extreme. It’s really hard to get it to tool.
9285E6FC-FCEE-4A25-B658-2BEE17553E44.jpeg
I had to case the leather over night and mold it to the skull over a process that took several days.

I've never seen that done before. I really like how it turned out. Thanks for sharing the whole process, it's an awesome piece!

Beautiful work! And as you said, lots of patience required. Well done!

That looks fantastic, well done!

Edit…I had to go back and look at the antlers as I ignored them as a looked at your process. :A Wacko:
Really like how that turned out!

Last edited:
I’ll be honest....I didn’t start posting this when I first started it, because I wasn’t dead certain it was going to work. I was pretty excited when it actually came together.

That turned out REALLY well! Certainly some skills and patience involved.
I'm quite impressed. Thanks for sharing.

That is incredible! Thanks for sharing!

Really like how it looks! Very unique

Very nice, great work & thanks for showing us !

I just recently saw some Wooden Skulls with antlers added & they were cool to !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg