Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Alain Lefol Safaris
Hunted
C.A.R., Tanzania, Zimbabwe & Chad
Hi everyone,

Very unique Bongo with one horn for hunting this animal for many years it's the first time I see that!! This bull have a nice horn over 30 inch the mineral leak where this Bongo have been taken in pictures is around 1/2 mile from the camp!

Would you hunt this bull?

25545266-5AAA-4A39-9AE3-5896B43F32D5.jpeg
A9206875-CC7B-4178-AC0C-BFD96A12D0E6.jpeg
B6EC5548-BBFA-4EA7-9737-4FCFC0ADA41D.jpeg
38900F0C-1C3C-4FCC-9B6A-D10BAFC4DCFD.jpeg
2FD6E6AF-DFF1-4225-8AED-E74BBDEE57A4.jpeg
28CB0541-0E60-40BA-B226-472B7909EB44.jpeg
E33B8262-4133-4188-AE2F-2C916619AD7A.jpeg
C563C2BB-6B63-46C3-9D85-2636268870B7.jpeg

I well remember guiding a hunter on a huge area in the Waterberg area that had not been hunted for many years. The place was mountains and rough, but it held good kudu and many old bulls.

We on more than one occasion saw broken horn Kudu bulls, we found two bulls both in excess of 56 inches with massive bases and deep curls, they looked like twins. I mentioned to the client that it would make an unusual but very interesting setup if you could hunt both, the broken left horn bull and the broken right horn bull....the stare I got had that Idea go out the door very quickly....he was only interested in a perfect two horn specimen....

One of the reasons I like hunting with Germans, the older and more worn the better.....

100% yes. I already decided a long time ago that broken horns, asymmetry, and scarred-up hides were exactly what I wanted out of a trophy if I manage to get myself overseas. Perfect trophies are pretty but unique ones have character.

With bongo hunts being pricey normally most hunters will ever hunt one. So if it was me I would like to try for a normal bongo but if that bull is the only one we find or the last day of the hunt I would go home happy with it.

I would not. As previously stated at a price of 40-50K for the Bongo I would hold out for a normal 2 horn Bongo. While all mature animals are trophies we have to be honest in what each hunter would be happy with.

I had a similar offer on a mouflon hunt, they had one or two known to have a broken side. and I say the same thing as a few people above. On my first hunt, no, on a second hunt, maybe. And knowing my budget it's only happening once.

I well remember guiding a hunter on a huge area in the Waterberg area that had not been hunted for many years. The place was mountains and rough, but it held good kudu and many old bulls.

We on more than one occasion saw broken horn Kudu bulls, we found two bulls both in excess of 56 inches with massive bases and deep curls, they looked like twins. I mentioned to the client that it would make an unusual but very interesting setup if you could hunt both, the broken left horn bull and the broken right horn bull....the stare I got had that Idea go out the door very quickly....he was only interested in a perfect two horn specimen....

One of the reasons I like hunting with Germans, the older and more worn the better.....
That seems to be a thing with German hunters, have seen more trophy pics with busted, or goofy looking horns taken by them than any other group.

I would not shoot a Bongo.
The rancher next to my Comanche County deer lease had half dozen Bongo in his back yard and was building up a small herd. They were only visible when he took me on a tour of his heavily wooded property. Some of his fathers property also ran alongside where we hunted and there some amazing exotic trophies just across the high fence.

I always say to my client if you can't the size or the shape of the trophy they want let's try to the most emotion and fun we can have hunting him.
The best is to have a great hunt with a great trophy.
Some time you try as hard as you can and don't have the trophy you deserve.

It's hunting

That seems to be a thing with German hunters, have seen more trophy pics with busted, or goofy looking horns taken by them than any other group.
They also show respect to the animals they hunt....which earns them the same......and they hunt with beautiful functional rifles....

The only reason I will never hunt bongo, is the price. (At least speaking for Cameron prices, but i dont think it is bargain anywhere else, as well)

If the broken horns of premium game come with significantly reduced price, I would hunt.
Sorry, for budget restrictions - the reality is, that great majority of western hunters still cannot afford premium game hunt.
By significantly reduced prices, I mean, significantly reduced, not polished down.
And most probably that would be on opportunity, not on plan.

In the same manner, I consider sable. If I am on safari for PG, or buffalo, and chance to take broken horn bull, during hunt for something else, I would take it.
Same for roan, etc. My preference would be old age bulls, broken horns give character. Great trophy.

I am also not a record book hunter. I dont care for book.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg