AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Canada (Sask, BC, NWT, Nunavut), US (NY, PA, TX, CO, NE, SD, ID, AK)
Sorry if this is old news - I’m starving for African Hunting on tv. What ever happened to Tony Makris and Under Wild Skies?? This was absolutely my favorite. Of course Tracks Across African is also outstanding!!
A few years back, I approached a well-known outdoor writer and occasional TV figure about collaborating on a new TV series that I had in mind. My idea was for a show about hunting in Africa, with a twist to make it unique. He quickly took the opportunity to tell me the facts-of-life a hunting show style.

First, you have to pay for air time. Outdoor Channel and Sportsman's Channel have similar business models and will charge you around $250,000 to get a show on the air for a season. Next, you have to hire the production crew (at least 2 cameramen and a sound guy). That's bare bones minimum. Higher quality means more people and more people means more expense. There is also the cost of post-production. In addition to paying them, you also have to fly them to wherever you are going hunt, put them up in hotels along the way and most of them expect to be fed. :)

Next comes the thorny question of whether you pay for your hunt or get an outfitter to give you a free hunt. Some say it's unethical to take a free pass for the hunt. Others have no problem with that. I don't have an opinion

Now you have to line up sponsors to pay for advertising. Unless you are a known entity in the industry, they are most likely want to see an example of at least one show before they will commit. That means you have to invest the money up front to produce at least one show before you can attract sponsors. It's a risky proposition.

The bottom line is that producing and airing a show is very expensive and comes with a high degree of risk. That is part of the reason why there are fewer shows about hunting in Africa. They are simply a lot more expensive to produce than ones about hunting whitetails or waterfowl.

Last edited:

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Outdoor TV has gone through many changes. I like all of the Africa shows for one reason or another. This Is Africa on YouTube is my current fav. I’ll be featured next year.

jpr9954

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.onlygunsandmoney.com
Articles
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 7.15.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 7.15.28 AM.png
    380.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 7.15.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 7.15.29 AM.png
    375.8 KB · Views: 19

wesheltonj

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC
Hunted
USA, RSA
Forgone conclusion that the NRA was going to lose in Fairfax County. UWS could have walked in with no lawyers and told the jury it’s the NRA and have been awarded money.

Doug3006

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia (X2), Zambia, Zimbabwe
It would be a trick for Makris and UWS to be seen as the victims of the hated NRA, considering he and his firm were the NRA’s public relations organ for many years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanxuatnhomduc

Latest profile posts

Wayne Johnson wrote on Angelo_orygun's profile.
I already have a die.My shipping address is; and your email is for F&F, Thanks
[redacted]
timfts wrote on Esoteric Junkie's profile.
is Randall still avail.
Roberto Mervicini wrote on krish's profile.
Hello Krish, a member told me that maybe you could help. I am making a 470 Capsticklooking to buy a chamber reamer, reloading die and need some info in regard to loading a 500 grain bullet .475 hard cast gas check to start, have : IMR 4350, 4831, 3031, h1000, RETUMBO and N150.
If you could help i appreciate,
Best Regards, Thanks Roberto
Got this old guy this year in Mafikeng on the plains with a long shot at 300ms he measured just over 19.5 inch
blesbuck.jpg