Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Dear Colleagues
For many hunts, especially in plains game department we may say that the chances of success are almost 99%-100% certain. Many times, when planning the hunt we ask the outfitter or PH, what are the reasonable chances of successful hunt, and usually for most of PG hunting, the answer is 100%.

But from what I was reading in Africana library (Boddington, and others), not all the hunts are certain to be successful.
For example: Leopard, cheetah, bongo, etc..

So, in your experience, knowledge or opinion, what other free chase hunts may be considered as challenging, uncertain of success, and involving great deal of luck?

1st time to Africa I saw many Black Back Jackals, also Porcupine. Went this year and did not even see one and I was there for almost a month.
1st time did not see any mongoose. This time I have one for a full mount.
Never shot a Cheetah but got to play with one both times and photo Leopard and Lion.
1st time I did not get a shot at a Baboon. This time I shot 11 and 2 with one round. Having an old graying one mounted and the skulls from a couple of other that had big teeth(fangs) for just setting on a shelf
Hunted 8.5 days with stalks at least once a day to get a certain Zebra.....Was beginning to wonder if it would happen.
Made 6 stalks before connecting with my Eland.

Eland.
At least for me. I hunted a farm with plenty twice, first not hunting them specifically, second I did. Neither time I saw them but a short time and never long enough to take a shot.

It is not always which species you hunt for, but often where you hunt them as well.

Free range bull tahr on public land in New Zealand. A serious challenge, not only shooting one but recovering it. I've been twice, shot three and only recovered one....the smallest of course.

Heading back in October 18 for round 3...

Cheers
Tim

Eland is a challenge..

The small cats, ie caracal, civet, genet, serval, of the night apparently are quite a challenge. Or at least for me they are. Still on my bucket list.

Serval is far from certain success. Cat hunting in general is more difficult. Predators have a six sense about them. Ask me about a big warthog!!! Nope still hasn't happen. The longer you hunt the more likely you will be successful.

Environment makes a huge difference. Free range verses high fence is the most obvious - if for no other reason, the sheer density of game. On a game farm, your outfitter/PH will have a pretty good running inventory in his mind of what is available and know where those particular species can usually be found. That is a bit trickier in a half million acre, low fence concession. True wilderness areas add a further level of difficulty. Areas which hold a lot of buffalo and elephant tend to have lower concentrations of plains game - often much lower. During my recent trip to Mozambique and the Zambezi Delta region, everything took a great deal of work. Free range sable, in particular, are a totally different creature. But that is why I enjoy wilderness hunting. And I absolutely agree with what Pondoro notes above. Trying to walk down a free range eland bull is one of the most challenging hunts in Africa.

Leopard, big warthog, mature eland bull

Believe it or not there are plenty of folks here who still need a bushbuck to complete their slam. Now don’t get me wrong there is no comparison to say a leopard hunt.

Believe it or not there are plenty of folks here who still need a bushbuck to complete their slam. Now don’t get me wrong there is no comparison to say a leopard hunt.
Good point. Got my first bushbuck this trip.

Generally speaking, all cats wether large or small, are uncertain.

We may add jackal, baboon, porcupine and hyena to the list. Took me six safaris to get baboon and jackal. Still no hyena or porcupine.

And then it also depends if you are looking for a certain animal, I saw many eland from my first safari, but did not pull the trigger until the fourth, and it took me four days until I found the right one.

Warthogs...I have fourteen, eight of them very big, just lucky :D

Along with that environmental issue noted earlier, change your method of hunting and everything can be up in the air.

Add some uncertainty;
Eliminate blinds, eliminate bait and only tracking by foot and stalking.
Bow hunt or spear hunt.
Limit your distances with your rifle to bow distances <50 yards.
Trophy hunt: Judge the trophies yourself.

Track anything yourself.
Tracking Eland, Lion, Elephant on foot. No teams, just you and PH/Tracker.

Stalking Vaalies with a bow.
Crawling on you belly through 10cm high grass to get into close range of an Oribi/Springbok.

The small cats, ie caracal, civet, genet, serval, of the night apparently are quite a challenge. Or at least for me they are. Still on my bucket list.

+1

Dear Colleagues
For many hunts, especially in plains game department we may say that the chances of success are almost 99%-100% certain. Many times, when planning the hunt we ask the outfitter or PH, what are the reasonable chances of successful hunt, and usually for most of PG hunting, the answer is 100%.

But from what I was reading in Africana library (Boddington, and others), not all the hunts are certain to be successful.
For example: Leopard, cheetah, bongo, etc..

So, in your experience, knowledge or opinion, what other free chase hunts may be considered as challenging, uncertain of success, and involving great deal of luck?
First of all nothing is 100%. Yes in many circumstances if you are in shape, know how to hunt, know how to shoot, and do what your PH tells you then you will have a good chance of success on PG hunts.
I hunted 40days total and paid for three Safaris (you don’t want to know how much $$$ Trust me!) before connecting with my leopard. Now it may be REAL luck getting the skin home! After that experience I can say I’d like to go on a normal, predictable PG Safari.
Philip

My experience: Over the course of four hunts in four consecutive years, it took me nine nights to get a caracal and an African wildcat. The only thing guaranteed is death and taxes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanisIap02

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!