Ultra Light Arms Build Cartridge Choice

The recoil isn't something I am worried about. I have a 280ai in a 5.75lbs rifle, a 300wm 6.6lbs rifle and a 300 rum in a 7.7lbs package, they will all get your attention, but I don't shoot them off the bench very much.

I am leaning to the 30-06. If I ever get a second one in a short action, the 284 Rem is his pet chambering, so that would be at the top of the list. That is followed by the 6.5x55 or maybe the 6.5x57 that was mentioned earlier.
Go for it , then . .30-06 is all my dad uses and he's taken everything from White tail to Indian Shiliguri Gaur bison with it .

30-06

I have a Colt light rifle (Melvin’s design) that has been back to Melvin and received his lightweight stock (colt skimped and went with a cheesy plastic one), upgraded trigger and firing pin. With the barrel being 24” and the excellent stock design for recoil mitigation, it is an easy shooter.

The rifle is perfectly balanced and is a joy to shoot and carry.

What trigger did you go with?

Believe it

Believe it’s the standard trigger Melvin uses for his custom rifles, Timney?

That's right, the Jewell is the upgraded trigger.

Melvin Forbes is one of the most talented gun smiths I've met. Melvin has built two rifles for me, a 270WSM and a 338 Federal. If you're going to keep your shots at under 300 yards the 338 Federal is a great choice. It's essentially a 308 necked up to 338. I shoot a 225 grain Hammer bullet in mine. Both my rifles are extremely accurate, developing loads for the two rifles was easy. Both of mine like the bullet touching the lands. He designed the Talley rings that go with the rifles. I opted for the Jewel trigger and couldn't be happier.

The great thing about Mr. Forbes is his willingness to work with you after your purchase. I had a bullet jam, (my fault) and I ended up popping off the bolt handle. Melvin repaired the rifle for very little money and walked me through my issues as to what I was doing wrong in loading the cartridges.

His recoil pads are outstanding, the 338 is a lightweight sporter model and the recoil is very manageable. He's known as the father of ultralight rifles. I plan on having him build me another rifle, a 7x57 Mauser AI. My guess is that he's in his early 70's so I wouldn't wait on getting your order in. I don't know how much longer he's going to be building rifles. If you've got any question regarding which cartridge to chose from I'd call him directly. Tell him what you want the rifle for and he'll recommend the appropriate cartridge. Mine are two rifles I'll never part with.

Old thread but where did it end up?

First question would be what are you hunting? That would dictate the cartridge choice for me. You have a .280a.i. maybe you just want another rifle just because.

Given you could go from .25-06 to .35 Whelen in that space I guess you should narrow it down by target species.

Just looking at a NULA model 24 on our usedguns sales site.

My wife has a kimber adirondack in 308.. the bare rifle weighs 4lbs 10oz..with her swaro scope mounted it comes in it 5lbs 8oz…

It’s brutal on the bench shooting moderate speed 168gr hand loads (but laser beam accurate)…

But it is an absolute dream to carry… and no problem to shoot on a hunt (generally shooting off sticks.. and only 1 trigger pull involved…)

The same can be said for my rem 600 in 308… with the scope and in its bell and Carlson stock it weighs just 4oz more than my wife’s kimber…

But it’s a joy to carry.. easy to maneuver in a blind with, etc..

We’ve taken everything from whitetail to zebra with these rifles.. and will likely take them to idaho with us next year to chase elk…

I love the 600 in 308 so much I’ve been actively looking for one in 350 Rem Mag to convert to a “light” rifle…

My Blaser R8 in 375H&H weighs 7.75 lbs without a scope and is easy to shoot. If I could have the entire package in that caliber AND have Swaro quality glass at 7 lbs I’d be all in for it.

My Blaser R8 in 375H&H weighs 7.75 lbs without a scope and is easy to shoot. If I could have the entire package in that caliber AND have Swaro quality glass at 7 lbs I’d be all in for it.
Just the other day there was a Carbon fibre R8 stock on the Usedguns site in Australia.
Asking price was $5000 for the second hand stock. I was curious if that is market value for a S/H one.

Just the other day there was a Carbon fibre R8 stock on the Usedguns site in Australia.
Asking price was $5000 for the second hand stock. I was curious if that is market value for a S/H one.
Not sure of the conversion rate but I will say that all the carbon fiber Blaser stocks I’ve seen are the thumb hole ones. I’d prefer the regular stock because it’s easier for me to access the cocking/decocking mechanism.

Correction, it's only $4700. Rough conversion let's call it $3000
It's not a thumbhole.
Looks like it is in Sydney.
There is about of Blaser gear on used guns.

Screenshot_20231123_012604.jpg

Melvin sold NULA in May 2022 to Wilson Combat. I called them last Feb but they hadn't started building rifles yet.

I have a NULA M24 in .338-06 that I ordered from Melvin at SHOT in 2016. I love the rifle and caliber, but I really wish I had chosen something else like 9.3x62. That would have been more practical than a caliber with very limited factory offerings. I did eventually purchase a Forbes (defunct company that tried to take Melvin's design and turn it into a production rifle) and had it rebarreled by Douglas to 9.3x62. Melvin did the finish work on it. Yes, it does come back at you, but not terribly.
Wilson Combat shows the M20 on their website. I hope they expand the line to something close to what Melvin offered.

my light weight carry rifle is a kimber montana in .257 roberts, it comes in at 6lbs 2 ozs scoped. i have been shooting a 115 nosler at 2840 fps. i killed a large doe last year at about 200 yards, it went nowhere but down.

As an old bloke at 77 i have 2 light weight rifles a Tikka T3x ultra light special edition with B & C stock in 6.5x55 & a Howa 1500 Carbon wrapped barrel & carbon stock in 6.5 CM. Both shoot 3 shot groups less than .75 moa & are a joy to carry . In my mind ultra light rifle cartridges are, 257 ROB ,6.5x55, 260 REM
7x 57, 284 WIN ,6.5 CM & 7mm -08, unfortunately the 257 Roberts & 6.5x55 req a long action. My light rifles were inspired by Ultra light arms in the 1990 s but i do not think they were ever imported to Aust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg