Uk Trophy Ban news

You make some very interesting points @Hunter-Habib . The view of hunting being an aristocratic past time is especially true. For most of England's history (post Dark Ages) hunting was very much only permitted for the super rich.

So even though hunting may have been open to the lower and middle classes in more recent history, by that point I think the wheels were already turning. This notion of hunter's being exclusively rich snobs was almost cemented in much of Britain's urban population, specifically England.

Though I don't necessarily agree that hunting will inevitably be banned in Britain, the pressures will become more and more unbearable for many hunters living there. But even if Britain bans hunting it really isn't any of my business to voice my opinion. It's their country.

Though I do have a problem with them continuing to intefere with other countries' hunting traditions. They'll eventually isolate themselves more and more if they keep their arrogant worldview.

That's British people for you. Always thinking that they know what's better for other people in other nations. I had to shoot and kill three Royal Bengal Tigers ( which had turned man eater and had each killed several people ) during my time as DFO. They had killed 15, 26 and 12 people respectively. However, when a British politician came to visit the Sundarbans in 1991 ... I found myself having to justify my actions to a three piece suit wearing dandy who spent his entire life in the air conditioned rooms of British offices. Because he clearly knew more about wildlife management than the people who lived and worked in the Sundarbans their entire life.

Hunter-Habib.........I fully agree with you. You and I have both seen it happen, others may not have. The question is not IF, but WHEN. Only the time frame can be changed now. I will work hard to push it back as far as possible. Vert....you're quite correct. YouTube censorship and blocking are well known. Not bad in the hunting arena yet, but they blocked 568,000 videos in the USA alone last Quarter. Their policy requires that videos violating "Ethics Laws" be blocked. As a US company how would this affect UK law? (what is much more common than blocking a video is the parent company, Google, deleting the account of the vlogger) So don't count on any intelligent dialogue after a ban law is passed. I live in the USA now. My State amended the Constitution to make hunting "a right". Just one idea. Better to to address this now. .....FWB
But rest assured, Flat Water Bill. Americans are a resilient lot. I'm confident that hunting an firearms ownership are among some of the great American traditions which can be preserved in the long time ... As long as the American hunting and firearms owning crowds remain defiant. Just keep at it. And be wary of Californians.

Maybe in the West, but not here. Though hunting obviously won't last forever. You guys have to remember that us Africans hunt as well, a lot more than tourists that come here. Sure, you may not see many videos of ONLY South Africans but that's because it's usually on an unattractive farm or a small piece of communal land which simply aren't viable for tourism.

Almost every South African male has experienced hunting in some shape or form, even if it's someone else pulling the trigger. Overtime that will eventually develop in your psyche and you'll see it as normal. Not denying that tourist hunters take up a huge part of our industry and economy, to whom I'm thankful for, but we overall hunt more tourists do here. Though I'm not denying the threats that face modern hunting.
Hunting CAN last forever, with the proper steps. I've seen it. Look what Pakistan has done with the endangered Markhor Goat, for example. The way that Pakistanis managed to start stabilizing the shrinking population of the Markhor through controlled trophy hunting, has received much positive feedback from the rest of the world. As a matter of fact, this feat got hunting restrictions significantly relaxed in Pakistan . Look at Botswana, who recently re-legalized elephant hunting after seeing what a farce the ban really was. Also look at the Czech Republic. In a revolutionary move, they recently made firearms ownership something akin to a constitutional right - A first in an European country. Places like France, Germany, Spain and Italy have very strong traditions of hunting and firearms ownership. Same with several states of the USA. With a little care and caution, you could actually preserve this.

Just keep British people and Indian people away from your countries, and you will be just fine.

Last edited:
Hunting CAN last forever, with the proper steps. I've seen it. Look what Pakistan has done with the endangered Markhor Goat, for example. The way that Pakistanis manages to start stabilizing the shrinking population of the Markhor through controlled trophy hunting, has received much positive feedback from the rest of the world. Look at Botswana, who recently re-legalized elephant hunting after seeing what a farce the ban really was. Also look at the Czech Republic. In a revolutionary move, they recently made firearms ownership something akin to a constitutional right - A first in an European country. Places like France, Germany, Spain and Italy have very strong traditions of hunting and firearms ownership. Same with several states of the USA. With a little care and caution, you could actually preserve this.

Just keep British people and Indian people away from your countries, and you will be just fine.
I highly respect your wisdom and experience. If only more people could have the resolve to stop and listen. Thank you for your insight.

Hi Guys,

It is good that this thread is getting some attention.

Here is a response from BASC, (I am a member),

So as you can read it's disappointing that a parliamentary committee only took views from anti hunting groups, not biased at all???

Hopefully BASC might be able to spur other organisations and individual hunters that this is an issue that affects them.

Already these anti campaigners have stated after their success with this they want to stop all hunting in the UK.

Like I have said learn from UK mistakes and make sure your organisations fight your corner and you are prepared to fight your corner (both I and my husband +father in law filled in the consultation).

I intend to travel back to SA, I've made friends there and I enjoy hunting, long may it continue!!!!

Plus I'll continue hunting at home here!!!

Make no mistake about it, the anti's are very, very clever. They have a long range strategy. They will not even attempt to pass a law in the USA that says "hunting is done, we're coming to get your firearms tomorrow". Nope. That will cause an upheaval. They'll try things like:
1. ban lead
2. ban black rifles
3 stop hunting in an area pending environ impact
4 prevent transportation of game across State lines
5 ban trophy imports

all of the above are passed, or in the works. No, I don't expect hunting to disappear in the USA in my lifetime. Just become vastly more restricted. But I do expect it to disappear in the UK.
At the 2019 Western Outdoor Expo it was stated that the percentage of hunters in the US population had fallen to 4.6%....below 5 is a critical mass many experts fear, as history shows that activity participation at that level can be eliminated.
And FWIW, I think RSA local hunting is closely intertwined with Foreign hunters. They supply the $ and the revenue to keep hunting viable. I have not been impressed with indigenous game management, and have seen areas devoid of game where it's sole value is moving meat. JMO.

Locally, I try to put an Anti with a Native American, and start the discussion on hunting, then retire.
FWB

Make no mistake about it, the anti's are very, very clever. They have a long range strategy. They will not even attempt to pass a law in the USA that says "hunting is done, we're coming to get your firearms tomorrow". Nope. That will cause an upheaval. They'll try things like:
1. ban lead
2. ban black rifles
5 ban trophy imports

all of the above are passed, or in the works. No, I don't expect hunting to disappear in the USA in my lifetime. Just become vastly more restricted. But I do expect it to disappear in the UK.
At the 2019 Western Outdoor Expo it was stated that the percentage of hunters in the US population had fallen to 4.6%....below 5 is a critical mass many experts fear, as history shows that activity participation at that level can be eliminated.
And FWIW, I think RSA local hunting is closely intertwined with Foreign hunters. They supply the $ and the revenue to keep hunting viable. I have not been impressed with indigenous game management, and have seen areas devoid of game where it's sole value is moving meat. JMO.

Locally, I try to put an Anti with a Native American, and start the discussion on hunting, then retire.
FWB
I still have my confidence that your country will succeed in keeping hunting and firearms ownership intact. Sanity is still present amongst the bulk of Americans ( Look at the outcome of the Kyle Rittenhouse trial, for example ). Just keep Californians out of your state.

but we overall hunt more than tourists do here.
This I dont doubt.
But the question is, can south african model be financed only by domestic hunters?

Edit it to be a documentary type story with toned down gory bits. Maybe work with a group like Blood Origins to keep it "front of mind" as the folks like to say.
This would definitely be the way to go.

Hunting CAN last forever, with the proper steps. I've seen it. Look what Pakistan has done with the endangered Markhor Goat, for example. The way that Pakistanis managed to start stabilizing the shrinking population of the Markhor through controlled trophy hunting, has received much positive feedback from the rest of the world. As a matter of fact, this feat got hunting restrictions significantly relaxed in Pakistan . Look at Botswana, who recently re-legalized elephant hunting after seeing what a farce the ban really was. Also look at the Czech Republic. In a revolutionary move, they recently made firearms ownership something akin to a constitutional right - A first in an European country. Places like France, Germany, Spain and Italy have very strong traditions of hunting and firearms ownership. Same with several states of the USA. With a little care and caution, you could actually preserve this.

From Winston S. Churchill to the twat Boris Johnson..

You got to think what happened to The British Empire..did WW1 and 2 deplete the gene pool to the present level..?

100% Hunter-Habib..

You got to think what happened to The British Empire..did WW1 and 2 deplete the gene pool to the present level..?

100% Hunter-Habib..
WW1 was especially devastating to Britain's rural and suburban male population, the majority of conscripts. You were mostly left with the city-dwellers after that.

Reactions: RTG
All this ban will do for British hunters like me @Dudders and @Novice Huntress will free up funds to hunt more animals. For me (and im sure many of you fine folk are in the same boat) its the hunt that matters and the end product is secondary.
IF this law ACTUALLY goes through I would be looking at doing some non export DG hunting on community lands where the animal gets divided up among the people that need the food. I will also invite reporters from hunting and shooting mags to join me. Hell maybe even someone from the BBC's Country-file.
I understand Boris's farther feels fishing should be banned in the UK too. I agree with many of the UK hunters that I have spoken to this just a smoke grenade to cover a withdrawal and re group due to the high level of incompetence shown by the UK Gov.
I have a hunt booked for April. Will I go?? YES I will. And to the antis who are trolling us on the forum MORE animals will be hunted due to your stupid and emotionally charged senseless campaign. And your idea of gun owners having a badge on there door is the same as what happend in a place called Germany that then led to some nasty shit happening to those people (The Holocaust).

I would just like to end on this note. If this was a law saying other minority groups with have there rights taken away because you don't like them the world would be jumping up and down shouting how wrong it is. But its no different. In the UK hunters that travel abroad are a minority group within a minority group. I'm going to stop now as there is no reasoning with the left.

100% Hunter-Habib..
Like I said, @Pondoro . Cultures where hunting is prevalent amongst only one class are doomed to have their hunting traditions eventually collapse as the class gap slowly disappears. My text book in the University Of Peshawar predicted this in 1967 with an uncanny level of accuracy.

@WilhelmM 's explanation is also pretty accurate.

All this ban will do for British hunters like me @Dudders and @Novice Huntress will free up funds to hunt more animals. For me (and im sure many of you fine folk are in the same boat) its the hunt that matters and the end product is secondary.

I'm in the US, but this was my first thought. If they ban imports I will kill more animals, not less.

I'm in the US, but this was my first thought. If they ban imports I will kill more animals, not less.

Agree, but we also should be less blunt in our wording. If I were an anti and writing an article I would have a field day scrolling through these comments.

We are still a public forum and some kind of decorum would not hurt the cause.

We can be agressive in our goals in conserving hunting but we should not give them more ammo. This is no means an attack an anybody and certainly not you.

But your phrasing proofs a certain point I am trying to make.

Agree, but we also should be less blunt in our wording. If I were an anti and writing an article I would have a field day scrolling through these comments.

We are still a public forum and some kind of decorum would not hurt the cause.

We can be agressive in our goals in conserving hunting but we should not give them more ammo. This is no means an attack an anybody and certainly not you.

But your phrasing proofs a certain point I am trying to make.
Thank you for your concern. :sleep:

1. ban lead
2. ban black rifles
5 ban trophy imports

FWB
I believe they need to re check the hunter numbers post covid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you