Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
UK to ban import of lion trophies if hunting industry doesn't reform
Ban would be effective from 2017 if industry and the African countries involved don’t improve practices, says environment minister

Stencil art following the killing of Cecil the Lion in Zimbabwe on a Santa Barbara sidewalk, California US. Photograph: Lisa Werner/Moment Editorial/Getty Images
Adam Vaughan - @adamvaughan_uk
Wednesday 25 November 2015 09.48 EST Last modified on Wednesday 25 November 2015 17.37 EST

The UK will ban imports of lion trophies by 2017 unless the hunting industry cleans up its act, environment minister Rory Stewart has said.

The killing of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe by a US dentist sparked an international outcry over trophy hunting this summer, leading to calls by politicians and conservationists for a ban on their import to the EU and US.

Last week, France became the first European country to ban the import of trophies such as lion paws and skins, which campaigners said would put pressure on the UK to follow suit.

On Tuesday, Stewart told an audience at Westminster Hall that: “Unless there is a significant improvement in the performance of the hunting industry and of those countries, this government will move to ban lion trophies,” referring to African countries which are home to remaining lion populations.

“I’m looking at something in the order of setting a timeframe in two years,” he said, in response to questioning by Conservative MP David Jones.

In a statement issued later, the environment department said: “We will examine the UK’s existing hunting trophy criteria and processes, as part of the EU, including whether and how these might be strengthened.”

The UK saw just two lion trophy imports to date this year. France, by comparison, received more than 100 lion trophy imports between 2010 and 2013.

Lionaid, a UK-based conservation charity, said it welcomed the UK’s move but a ban should come into force earlier than two years’ time, and added that it would be meeting Stewart next week to discuss the issue.

Will Travers, the founder and president of the NGO Born Free, questioned whether the UK’s ban would be enough to stem lion population declines, which have been attributed to a loss of habitat and prey, as well as pressure from hunting.

Scientists warned recently that lion numbers are set to halve in the next two decades, in central and western Africa.

Tom Quinn, campaigns director for the League Against Cruel Sports, said: “Trophy hunting is cruel, and done simply for human gratification. But without the ability to import their trophies the hunters will have much less of an incentive to kill.”

On Friday the Royal Geographical Society in London will play host to the premier of Blood Lions, a new documentary on canned hunting, the practice of rearing lions in private reserves for hunters to kill which takes place largely in South Africa.

Attachments

• 3126.jpg
    3126.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 51

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
Wankers

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Last edited:

bluey

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
Hunted
australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
kinda sees it all in one word ..........doesn't it.....

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Bound to happen, no surprises here.

The Bongo

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
BASC, NOBS, SACS
Hunted
UK, Bulgaria, Italy
The last UK Tory govt. promised hunters that the 2004 Hunting Act would be set for repeal. They also promised an amendment to the firearms laws to legalise .22 pistols again. 1000's of hunters volunteered to canvas and campaign for 'pro-hunting' Tories. Repeal and amendment were not even debated!

The Tory's present themselves as pro-hunting, but were responsible for the ban on semi-auto centrefires and mag restrictions on shotguns, then the later ban on pistols.

Happy to use hunters when they need support, it is never paid back. Backstabbers.

gvincent

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
HSC, DSC, SCI, NRA, and RMEF
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, and Zimbabwe
The UK saw just two lion trophy imports to date this year.
Hmm? ISIS is preparing/promising to conduct major terrorist acts within Great Britain and their politicians are concerned about the importation of one or two lions per year. Shame on them!

Last edited by a moderator:

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
Hmm? ISIS is preparing/promising to conduct major terrorist acts within Great Britain and their politicians are concerned about the importation of one or two lions per year. Shame on them!

yeah great isnt it...............:A Ill:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmoryMcgin

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J