UGANDA: Uganda Wildlife Safaris

Congrats on all the outstanding trophies!

Holy cow those are some great trophies. Exceptional buf and Kob. You are really racking up the trophies! I should of taken you up on offer to go on this trip......... Congrats.
Bruce

Thanks Bruce, the hunting is exceptional to say the least. Sorry you couldn't make it this year. My understanding is they are sold out for next season so you'll be looking at 2020 for the next opeing.

Yeah they are sold out for Sitatunga in 2019...I checked...that Kob and Nile Buskbuck are pretty amazing, had to get some additional details.

IMG_0563.jpg
Day 10

I slept like a rock except for the few calls from a Hyena sometimes in the night. I woke up just before Sarah called at my tent door. The Hedgehog was back, I suspect he was busy feeding around my tent last night. He was huddled in a corner, all curled up and snoozing away. Well thats Africa, you never know what you will wake up to!

Not far from camp we spotted an exceptional Jacksons Hartebeast. I stepped off the cruiser and Paul was already off walking forward. I said he's 237 yards and Paul set the sticks and said take the shot if you feel good about it. I got on the sticks, steadied on his shoulder and started to squeeze the trigger and the gun went off. He bucked and ran then hit the ground and was up again, hit just above the knee. I tried to get another shot into him but there were too many trees and he was hightailing it.

Charles spotted the bull and we were off after him. We bumped him at a couple hundred yards but couldn't get a shot. Paul gathered everyone up and found the tracks and blood and started following him. After about an hour Paul got his rifle and we continued. Not 10 minutes later the bull jumped up in front about 80 yards and I fired and missed, there was so much cover. Paul never got a shot off as Charles was in front of him. Once again Charles took the lead and located the bull. I had a 250+ yard shot off the sticks and missed. We took off but quickly lost him. When Paul got to us he said he saw the bull run through a small herd of Hartebeast then over the ridge. We got back on the tracks and another half hour later tracked him right to the park boundary. My Jacksons Hartebeast is now lost as we cannot enter the park. I am sick, I just don't know what has happened with my shooting.

Day 11

Up at the usual time, a nice breakfast of bacon and eggs and we were off in search of Waterbuck.

Out of camp by 6:45 it was light enough to see Hartebeast, Oribi and one of the widest buffalo I have ever seen - a cow. Paul said 43-44 I thought 46+. She was an amazing sight and Melcom got some video of her for a brief moment.

Another half hour or so and we saw some Hartebeast mixed with Waterbuck. David the tracker said the bull is on the left. We eased forward and glassed and he was a nice looking bull with long tips. Paul wanted to be sure he was not young so we glassed the bases to make sure they were not white in appearance which is a sign of youth. The bull had hard bases and Paul said thats about as good as you can expect. I ranged him at 177 and got down off the cruiser and positioned the sticks by a tree I could steady my elbow on. I took a deep breath, thought about my poor shot yesterday and told myself to calmly squeezed the trigger. Just as I was settling the crosshairs on his shoulder he started to take off and I shot. I hit him in the spine about mid way back and paralyzed him. Paul took off running with the sticks and said hurry up, lets go. We got about 50 yards and I put the finisher in him. Paul said he was worried that the bull could have just been stunned, he's seen them get up and run off before.
DSC04321.jpg

As we walked up I thanked Paul and said "man, that's a beautiful bull". I asked Paul and Melcom what they thought he'd measure and they both said 26-27. I was happy but sure thought he looked bigger than that. While waiting for the cruiser I admired the bull and said "I think he'll go in the upper 20's, 28-29 and they both said I don't think so.

After pictures we were back to camp by 9 for breakfast. I asked Paul if we could measure the bull I am curious. The tape pulled to 30 4/8 which shocked everyone. A great bull and I am honored to have taken him despite my poor shooting.

I chose to take the afternoon off and relish in the moment. I did go to the range and shoot my rifle and it was fine. I just had to satisfy myself it was operator error and not equipment failure.

Day 12

This morning I woke to the distant rumbling of Elephant. Then, as it became light they were more vocal and some trumpeting started. They were only a Kilometer or so from camp.

As we headed out after breakfast it wasn't long before we came upon their tracks. It looks like a group of 8-10 feeding through the area. We never saw them but they are close by for sure.

We came across several groups of Buffalo ranging from 2-3 and one group of 8. All bachelor herds, Dugga Boys mostly. Each group had a shootable bull but none as large as the one I had taken a few days back.

IMG_0685.jpg

We spent the day in search of Bush Duiker, seeing many but I was looking for something exceptional. I was fortunate enough to take one in Masailand a few years back.

Midday found us back at camp with a wonderful lunch of grilled Warthog rib chops! They were great and something I had never experienced all my years in Africa.

IMG_0571.jpg

There is a resident group of vultures and maribou storks at the camp near the skinning shed. After lunch Melcom made a plan to take the waterbuck ribcage, wire his gopro in it and put it out for the birds to feast on. What a sight, they swarmed on the meat like hopping piranhas! I would say it took less than 5 minutes for them to clean the ribcage completely. Man they are efficient at what they do as natures clean up crew.
IMG_0565.jpg

Another afternoon drive, in search of a big Duiker and always interesting game viewing. Back at camp just after sunset and we enjoyed drinks by the fire and reminiced about the preceeding days.

Day 13

We had another leisurely morning and left camp after 7. Not long into the drive we saw half a dozen Buffalo Bulls, large numbers of Hartebeast and Oribi. A few Bush Duiker but nothing exceptional. We did see one very nice Waterbuck Bull but a few inches short of the one I took. Later in the morning we came across another group of Dugga Boys, it is incredible the number of Buffalo we have seen as they come out of the park into the hunting area since the green up.
IMG_0690.jpg

We headed back to camp for lunch around noon, had Buffalo Steak Milanese with potatoes and steamed vegetables. Everyone chilled for a while checking email and texting (it is so strange to have fairly reliable wifi in the camp). In retrospect, I think it takes a bit away from the overall experience. We all conversed but there was more solitary silence as each person focused solely on their device from time to time.

After a siesta we went out for a game drive about half past four. The clouds looked ominous but we gave it a go. We spotted some Warthog and closed the distance for a better look but nothing worthwhile. A half hour later as we were driving I said to Paul, "I smell Buffalo" and 2-3 minutes later the tracker spotted a couple of Bulls. We approached slowly and at an angle and got to a good vantage point where we could glass. There were 12 Bulls and a Cow! Several nice, mature trophies in the group and we were able to get fairly close for pictures and videos.

The wind picked up and it looked as if we might get pounded so we carried on. Fortunately we never got rained on. We ran across one final group of Bulls on the way to camp. To close out the Safari, I saw 34 Buffalo Bulls today 11 of them being shooters. This is once of the best places I have ever hunted Buffalo, the numbers are amazing. I had a lot to choose from and even though I took my Bull the first day, I never saw another his equal.
IMG_0555.jpg

The last night in camp was as good as any other, we finished off with another great meal, drinks and cigars by the fire. We would leave early in the morning for Kampala so I called it a night about 10, had my shower and went to sleep.

DSC04573.jpg

As I lay in bed, saying my prayers and praising the Lord for the Blessings He bestows on me. I think of my wife and children on the other side of the globe and pray for them as well. I fall into a sound sleep, only to be awoken one final time by the sounds and smells of Africa!

Day 14

Departure day, a 5:30 wake up and I packed my bags. About 6:15 I headed over to the dining and met Paul and Melcom for a light breakfast. We got all the paperwork signed and were packed and on the road by 7:30. Paul would take us as far as Kitgum where we will meet the driver Levee. It took a little over 2 hours and by time we filled with fuel, dropped Paul of at a local hotel we were back on the road shortly after 10.

There are quite a lot of road projects underway so the highways are in very good condition. However, you can't go more than 20 minutes without passing through a small village or town.

As we came through a rather large city named Gulu, Levee told me that this was the home of Joseph Kony, the infamous terrorist. Kony tried unsuccessfully to overthrow the Ugandan Gov't and was run out of the country. First to South Sudan, then DRC and now CAR. The USA Special Forces have been assisting the Ugandan Army in hunting down Kony.
IMG_0707.jpg

By midday the roadways are lined with school children of all ages walking home. It was startling to see children as young as 4 walking alongside a busy highway with trucks and vehicles traveling 60MPH+! We passed over the Nile by bridge this time and up above the gov't is building a new hydro electric dam.

IMG_0708.jpg

The roadways are busy, but we are well over the halfway mark by now and havent been stopped once. Interesting, every time we come to a roadblock we pass right through with a honk and a wave. The landcruiser has the company name on the door but also says "Toursit Vehicle" on the side of the bed. Apparently Tourists get Crate Blanche at road blocks - nice.

The closer we got to the city the more congested the roads became and the more people everywhere. With a population of 80 Million, you can't help but see people most all the time. We arrived at the Ugands Wildlife Safaris at 7 to drop off my rifle and ammo to be stored in their vault. A short drive and we were checked into the Speke Hotel Resort once again. A beautiful resort on the banks of Lake Victoria.

Once in the room, I had a quick shower and met Melcom at the Lakeside patio for a farewell drink and dinner.

I want to recognize all of those who made my Safari safe and successful.

Christian Weth, he is one of the best operators I have ever hunted with, every attention to detail has been carefully thought out and the camps run very efficiently.

Paul Wellock, my PH who had his patience challenged with a client who had "an off week" of poor shooting. Paul is the consumate professional, remained calm and positvie at all times. Also, he is one of the best judges of Buffalo horn width I have hunted with.

Augustin Chailla, the PH back at Kafu. He was always helping to scout the area and gave us the crucial tip on where to go look for a big Bushbuck

All the Trackers and Game Scouts Franko, Charles, David and many other support staff.

Of course you can't leave out the cooks Robert and Ben and their staff of waiters. The food was outstanding and I never went hungry!

If you want to try something new, Uganda is it. I found the country breathtakingly beautiful, the people very friendly everywhere I went and the hunting superb.

I will be back one day that is for sure. Who knows, maybe I'll bring my family back to Karamoja and watch all of my kids hunt buffalo!

Incredibly interesting reoort. You had an amazing experience and took some exceptional trophies. Well done and thanks for sharing. I guarantee nearly all the AH members have been drooling while reading your report.

Incredibly interesting reoort. You had an amazing experience and took some exceptional trophies. Well done and thanks for sharing. I guarantee nearly all the AH members have been drooling while reading your report.

Thanks @kudukid, it was an amazing Safari, Uganda is a great destination and Uganda Wildlife Safaris delivered on their promise. They led me to the animals, it was my job to harvest them. As you can see, I am proof positive that you can miss a Sitatunga and still get one!

Thanks for sharing the report! I enjoyed the journey and again congrats on the hunt!

I really enjoyed this report and I am sorry to see it end. Thank you for posting. You had a great trip!

Enjoyed your report immensely.

It was great to read your report. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Some great trophies too. Congrats and thanks for sharing with us.
Bruce

Wonderful report. Thanks for taking us with you!

Many thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. It is always my pleasure to share the experience with y'all.

Just now reading this and man oh man what a great trip that must have been! Fantastic animals all of them. I know how special it is to take a sitatunga, got mine in Botswana in 1990, its never a sure thing. Congrats on the great trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.