Uberti Courteney... again....

Thank you for the range results. That lends more confidence.

Well I guess a 7x57 rimmed would work but I don't think there would be enough interest.
Yeah, I still see ammo being made for 7x57R, even sold locally.
However power wise they are about equal, and both are classic rounds.

Picked mine up today finally! Nice rifle, light trigger, typical red Uberti wood with little figure, but attractive. Scope mounting will be an issue.
I didnt have tall enuf rings even for a skinny old scope to leave the rear sight in, but easily removed for now.
In fact since its drilled for a tang peep and I just happen to have a Marbles on hand that will fit, I may go that route after doing some group testing, which hopefully will begin tomorrow.
With no offset hammer spur, its tight getting fingers under the scope to load and unload the rounds. Taller rings will help though.
IMG_3549.JPG

Glad to see it's in hand finally. Enjoy! (And report!)

Picked mine up today finally! Nice rifle, light trigger, typical red Uberti wood with little figure, but attractive. Scope mounting will be an issue.
I didnt have tall enuf rings even for a skinny old scope to leave the rear sight in, but easily removed for now.
In fact since its drilled for a tang peep and I just happen to have a Marbles on hand that will fit, I may go that route after doing some group testing, which hopefully will begin tomorrow.
With no offset hammer spur, its tight getting fingers under the scope to load and unload the rounds. Taller rings will help though.
View attachment 538379
I think Marlin offers a screw on hammer spur extension that might work.

The hammer spur touches the receiver when cocked so an extension won't work. I have a 6x Leupold on mine and have no problem cocking. And I have thumbs like Polish sausages.

The hammer spur touches the receiver when cocked so an extension won't work. I have a 6x Leupold on mine and have no problem cocking. And I have thumbs like Polish sausages.
I am guessing you also have higher rings.

I shot this today, had to get used to it, never handled an 1885 before, kept thinking I was shooting a Ruger No.1 and forgetting to cock the hammer, LOL.
A quick bore sight had it on paper though way high. Dropped it down and was near target center but still right a bit. Fired 3 rounds of my sight in load, into an inch. Cheapo 150 gr PPU bullets with N202 powder.
Then tried a load of 174 BT bullets with IMR4064. With that I got a lot of 2 groups and 3 and 1, but one group put all 4 into an inch. Then it was time to pack it up.
Rifle certainly shows promise, just going to have to find the combo it really likes. All in all a good first outing.

I am guessing you also have higher rings.

I shot this today, had to get used to it, never handled an 1885 before, kept thinking I was shooting a Ruger No.1 and forgetting to cock the hammer, LOL.
A quick bore sight had it on paper though way high. Dropped it down and was near target center but still right a bit. Fired 3 rounds of my sight in load, into an inch. Cheapo 150 gr PPU bullets with N202 powder.
Then tried a load of 174 BT bullets with IMR4064. With that I got a lot of 2 groups and 3 and 1, but one group put all 4 into an inch. Then it was time to pack it up.
Rifle certainly shows promise, just going to have to find the combo it really likes. All in all a good first outing.
I'm using 1" Med rings.

I'm using 1" Med rings.
I have a set of Leupold Weaver type rings on mine, dont what size they call them, but I had to remove the rear sight. I can get some higher rings, but not sure I will bother.

Shot mine again today, I had some old Norma 215 gr RN slugs to try. Fired 3 groups with 4895, 760 and Varget, all shot well.
The Varget load put 3 in an inch as did the 760, the IMR4895 load put 4 in about an inch and a half, I called the last shot just out and it was, but still a good group.
I remember that Boddingtons rifle seemed not to like this weight but mine seems to. Sadly I dont have very many left but I will scout around and see if I can find anymore.
I started with 5 rounds of old Peters 215 loads, and the first two nearly touched but then it scattered the rest into about 3.5 inches.
I have quite a few old Remington 215gr factory loads, I may sacrifice a few of those, but I like to keep them for my LSA Sporter, though no real reason to I guess.

I thought Hawk was going to make me some 215gr on their last run of 308 stuff, but there must have been some sort of confusion on that end, because they didn't actually make them. Supposedly they'll make some on another run. They're the only place I've been able to get so much as a maybe from here in the US for 215gr.

Did you mean .311 or .312?

I found an old box of Imperial (Canadian made) with 150gr. Black Tip Sabre Tip. 3 shots under and inch. Seems like this gun is a shooter and not fussy. Now to reload but i don't have any bullets over 180gr.

Guy at the range today gave me a partial box of Imperial 150 gr! What a coincidence.

Nothing fancy, just pointed soft points, bout half a box.

So far I am pretty happy with this rifle.

Did you mean .311 or .312?

.303 British (.311 dia.)​

Spitzer
125 grains x .035 SPZ$43.00 c3
180 grains x .035 SPZ$45.00
215 grains x .035 SPZ$47.50
Round Tip
180 grains x .030 RT$42.50 c3
215 grains x .030 RT$44.50 c3
Hawk offers two profiles for the 303 British, and of course, will make custom weights upon request.

.303 British (.311 dia.)​

Spitzer
125 grains x .035 SPZ$43.00 c3
180 grains x .035 SPZ$45.00
215 grains x .035 SPZ$47.50
Round Tip
180 grains x .030 RT$42.50 c3
215 grains x .030 RT$44.50 c3
Hawk offers two profiles for the 303 British, and of course, will make custom weights upon request.

I asked because you said .308 above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross