Uberti 303 Courteney

Finn fan

AH member
Reaction score
Articles
I have been taken by the desire to own the Uberti 303 Courteney. Love its looks but to date it has been a long range romance, as I have had one in the hand.

I have read many good reviews about it but an occasional negative review about Uberti fit and finish shows up from time to time. This is mostly in regards to their single action revolvers.

Since it is doubtful I will handle one in person and more likely that I buy one via an online auction I was wondering if any one could relate their experiences with this issue,

In retrospect I bought a Ruger Red Label in the late 80's and have put around 40,000 trouble free rounds thru it, I only later was surprised to find out on the internet that it is not a good shotgun!

In addition I heard the Ruger #1 is terribly inaccurate! That was a surprise as my #1 in 7x57 is one of the most accurate rifle I own.

Many thanks!

i have had 10-12 #1 ruger over the years and most were decent shooters with a few that were steller shooters. i had a #1 RSI in 3006 that should have been sold as a shotgun rather than a rifle, no groups just patterends.

I like the looks of the new Uberti as well. Good luck at finding one without paying a real premium.

My Ruger No. 1's (.300 H&H, .270. and 7x65R) all shoot sub-MOA.

I have only handled it at the 2020 SHOT Show. The fit and finish was excellent. The action was very smooth. The only reason I didn’t grab one then is that I’m holding out for one in .275 Rigby aka 7x57. Tom Leoni who designed it is a member here.

I bought a Uberti 1885 Hi-Wall 45-70. The fit/finish is excellent. I also own a couple of Uberti lever action rifles in 45 Colt. One is an 1866 and the other is an1873. Again, absolutely no problems with fit/finish. Uberti seems to have found the sweet spot with their long guns. They look great but are still very serviceable and useable firearms. I don't shoot the Hi-Wall much but I have no idea how many rounds I have through my 1873. Thousands. It's my main match rifle I use for cowboy action shooting.

I also have an Uberti High Wall 45-70, and agree that the quality of fit and finish is excellent. I use it for BPCR shooting and due to bbl rate of twist it's better with bullets under 500gr. If you cast, the Saeco #645 mold 480gr bullets shoot great in it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the typical "Uberti red" stock finish, so I stripped it and refinished the stock and forend, and found some really nice wood underneath.

Best regards,

@Finn fan i just sent you a PM of where one is located or at least a couple weeks ago there was one

It's on my wish list as well.
Living in a remote part of AK I have never actually seen one.
The quarter rail coming loose is the only criticism I have read.
It sure is a pretty thing, IMHO. :K Crazy Love:

I agree, it is an awesome looking rifle. My only complaint is the rail. Is there a way to lose the rail and still mount a scope?

I agree, it is an awesome looking rifle. My only complaint is the rail. Is there a way to lose the rail and still mount a scope?
Yes, but the alternative is an open site rail not configured for a scope. That rail, with a couple of divots for Talley rings would have been ideal.

Reactions: WAB
Yes, but the alternative is an open site rail not configured for a scope. That rail, with a couple of divots for Talley rings would have been ideal.

I suppose you could have one made up. I’d struggle to live with a rail that looks like it was made for an AR on a classic single shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross