U.S. legislators advance Okavango River Basin wildlife protection

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
egislation to protect wildlife from poaching in the Okavango River Basin of southern Africa was passed this week by the United States House of Representatives, where members who sponsored the bill raised the alarm over ties between wildlife trafficking and terrorist organization finance.

“This ecosystem spans three countries,” said bill co-sponsor Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA), one of dozens of legislators from both main political parties to support it. “It starts in the highlands of Angola, and it flows through Namibia and Botswana. Like other regions across Africa, there is a challenge here in the poaching and trafficking of threatened species in the delta.”

Those challenges include the terror threat fueled by trafficking profits in the hands of extremists and international criminal networks. “These deadly groups undermine regional stability. They spread violence. They disrupt local governance,” Royce said during the legislative session. “They have a devastating impact on the economic opportunities for members of the community.”

The bill, called the DELTA Act, establishes U.S. support for a cooperative conservation effort in the Okavango basin countries while boosting the success of wildlife enforcement officers in the region. Once passed in the U.S. House, it now goes to the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations for further review.

Royce, along with U.S. Sen. Chris Coons (D-DE), spoke at length this week about the issue during a discussion on illegal trafficking and terrorism hosted by the U.S. Institute of Peace. Their session on African wildlife protection, sustainable economic development and terror risk reduction is available at this link.

Source: https://africatimes.com/2018/07/19/u-s-legislators-advance-okavango-river-basin-wildlife-protection/

They will not grant a penny for any actual enforcement. Should it pass, the most likely future action would be to ban any trophy importation from the eco-system. Could easily include parts of Namibia and Zimbabwe as well.

When one country starts messing about in the affairs of other countries, almost nothing good ever comes of it. This piece of legislation specifically refers to Angola, Botswana (which may be about to re-open elephant hunting) and Namibia.

You might think that the DELTA Act relates to the Okavango Delta, but it actually stands for "Defending Economic Livelihoods and Threatened Animals Act". But if you look at the Act, it says almost nothing about defending economic livelihoods and focuses instead on protecting wildlife, especially elephant. Notably, I don't think the Act itself mentions terror anywhere, unlike the press release. This has nothing to do with terrorism.

I have one question about this. If the countries involved have agreed to US government involvement in their affairs, it can only be for one reason. Money. Combine that with "defending threatened animals" and the results are almost never positive for hunters.

By the way, the Act is sponsored by a Republican of Nebraska.

I just have to shake my head.

Does that Republican from Nebraska (or his contributors) happen to have some shares in a Diamond Mine or company doing oil exploration in the KGR?

Might was well just deposit the money directly into UBS or CS, it would be cheaper for the taxpayers.

I think it's time for Canada to pass a law addressing the environmental consequences of draining aquifers in California to keep Palm Springs green.

I’m sorry, in my confusion I assumed that the US Congress was responsible for the governance of the United States of America. I am obviously missing something...

I’m sorry, in my confusion I assumed that the US Congress was responsible for the governance of the United States of America. I am obviously missing something...
Bulls Eye...Or as I was required to explain to both my Troopers and Union Brothers...Quote "every crack pot half baked politician is allowed to offer any crazy meaningless bill that will never see a vote...isn't democracy wonderful??"

Just more bullshit destined to hurt hunters. It’s a systematic destruction of our sport. Brilliant really. Before you know it it will be gone.

I just have to shake my head.

Does that Republican from Nebraska (or his contributors) happen to have some shares in a Diamond Mine or company doing oil exploration in the KGR?

Much more likely than many realize. If he doesn't have a direct interest someone in his family probably does. Being a Congressman is a great way to get rich, and to make your family rich.

Republican leaders in the private sector create wealth and then use that to go into politics to gain power.

Democrat leaders in the private sector create power and then use that to go into politics to gain wealth.

No being a former congressmen is a great way to get rich - K street.

Much more likely than many realize. If he doesn't have a direct interest someone in his family probably does. Being a Congressman is a great way to get rich, and to make your family rich.
Royal, I gotta say, that is a fine looking buffalo in your profile picture. When are you heading back to Zim?

Bulls Eye...Or as I was required to explain to both my Troopers and Union Brothers...Quote "every crack pot half baked politician is allowed to offer any crazy meaningless bill that will never see a vote...isn't democracy wonderful??"
Except this one did see a vote - and it passed!

Royal, I gotta say, that is a fine looking buffalo in your profile picture. When are you heading back to Zim?

Thanks!

And not soon enough. Buff was taken in Chewore North, which isn't hunted anymore at least at this point....

I here it works for Presidents too!

Passed the House on the 17th. Now goes to the Senate and if it passes there on to the President. Both my US Senators are leftist loons, so no point in telling them not to vote for it, but I did send an email to the President outlining why he should not sign it should it make it to his desk. About all we can do.

The U.S Congress couldn't create a good idea if they rubbed all their skulls together. Congress is the biggest circle jerk in existence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois