AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
AfricaHunting.com
Media
Articles
Member Alert

Dear SCI Member:
Over the weekend we became aware of an effort to fast-track an importation ban on many, if not all hunting trophies into the UK.

The move was announced by the Minister for International Wildlife Zac Goldsmith. Under the new policy, hunters from the UK will no longer be able bring heads, skins, or other body parts of wild animals from around the world.

On Sunday, Safari Club International sent a letter to Minister Goldsmith and others outlining our great concern over the pending move along with several recommendations including the essential component of engaging with the environmental ministries of the countries that manage the wildlife that will be affected by a potential ban, including Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. It was emphasized that these countries should be consulted in order to fully understand the impact that a UK importation ban will have on the success of their conservation efforts.

At the same time, a second letter was sent to the embassies and ministers of the seven African countries that would be affected, notifying them of the issue and offering assistance in making contact with UK officials.

Additionally, a Member Alert has been issued to SCI chapters in the UK urging them to contact their Member of Parliament to express their objection to the proposed ban.

Recently 133 wildlife experts, in a letter to SCIENCE Magazine, placed scientific evidence over subjective sensitivities to recognize the importance of hunting in wildlife conservation. The authors also advised governments not to take actions that would undermine existing well-managed hunting programs. Although some of the wildlife experts admitted their personal discomfort with hunting, they noted that a "conservation policy that is not based on science threatens habitat and biodiversity and risks disempowering and impoverishing rural communities."

Should you have friends or associates in the UK wishing to making their voice known, please direct them here to find their MP at this link: https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

They should act quickly and make sure their MP:

1. Listens to the locals who manage the species
  2. Understands that revenue from legal hunting is used to fund conservation efforts
  3. Recognizes that poaching is the real threat

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
December 16, 1773

Boston_Tea_Party_w.jpg

norfolk shooter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Well guys this might be the end of it for me. This is what I have written to my local MP ( yes I took a bit from the SCI notice).

Dear Ms Truss,
As one of your constituents I urge you to consider the grater ramification of what this ban could do for wildlife not just in Africa but in other places too. Has anybody from the government waited to see what the countries where the hunts take place have to say about what this can potentially mean?
Dictating what should and shouldn't go on in African countries is what this seems like. Cultural imperialism at is best; wrapped in a nice blanket of animal sympathy and it seems topped with a smattering hatred of humans who have different thoughts. What next are we going to ban the big pheasant shoots we hold in our amazing county of Norfolk? People come from all over the world to shoot hear. Not to mention the revenue generated in rural Scotland with the hunting or red stags there.
Recently 133 wildlife experts, in a letter to SCIENCE Magazine, placed scientific evidence over subjective sensitivities to recognise the importance of hunting in wildlife conservation. The authors also advised governments not to take actions that would undermine existing well-managed hunting programs. Although some of the wildlife experts admitted their personal discomfort with hunting, they noted that a "conservation policy that is not based on science threatens habitat and biodiversity and risks dis-empowering and impoverishing rural communities."
And yet every year tens of thousands of middle aged and older men go on "bloke's tours" to Bangkok etc and no one seems to mind, let alone the reason... Which is more important? Virtue signalling your opinion against a few dozen exercising a perfectly natural human instinct that will often advantage the local ecology and fauna due to £ investment or mass and indiscriminate screwing underage kids? The mismatch in seriousness between these two matters is simply breathtaking. If you've got to wail why not wail about something that's actually a major and seriously nasty problem as opposed to something that's so infrequent that it doesn't really feature in the overall scheme of things?
I urge you to listen to the countries this concerns. If it was unsustainable they wouldn't allow it to happen. There is scientific evidence proving that trophy hunting is a useful conservation tool.
Yours sincerely

TheGrayRider

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NWTF/RMEF/NRA/ECC
Hunted
RSA
Every time I read an article or post on what Great Britian and other European countries are implementing against outdoorsmen and gun owners, I am so grateful that I am an American.

Our founding fathers were geniuses implementing the Constitution and especially the Bill of Rights.

God bless the USA! We ain’t perfect but sure as hell have a better life and more rights than many other developed countries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SanfordBan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...