Typical Ranges?

IronCowboy

AH veteran
Reaction score
I recognize not all species are the same, nor all countries, but for rifle hunting, I'm seeing guys talk about 150-300m plains game shooting, and 20-50yrd DG...

In my head, I'd think I'd rather want a bit EXTRA range on DG with a handgun, since the stopping power wouldn't be there, and of course, 300m with a handgun seems like a heck of a poke.

While I'm not certain all of these would be taken with a handgun, I'm wondering about typical ranges for Eland, Cape Buffalo, Croc, Wildebeast, Lion, Kudu, Gemsbok, Sable, and the like... I probably won't ever drop the coin for Elephant or Rhino (if huntable at the time), not sure I'd take giraffe, and know I wouldn't take Zebra (7th generation American Quarterhorse breeder - just can't shoot something which looks so much like a horse).

I understand bowhunters give up a lot of time and potential from limited range - wondering if I should expect to be similarly limited to use a handgun? I do a bit of handgunning at mid-ranges, 150-200m, even out to 250m with one of my revolvers, but I expect 44mag, 454C, 480R, and .475Line are relatively limited for effective range; moreso than they might be on North American game at least.

I have red dot and telescopic sighted revolvers, but my 475L is open sights only (for now), and I'm considering a .480Ruger Custom Vaquero with fixed sights, either of which I'd consider, if the ranges match my capability with open sights, that is.

You need to PM @edward on this site. I think most of his trophies have been with a hand gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of the answer to your question is where you are hunting. In the Limpopo of RSA ranges are usually under 100 yds. Lots of brush. In the East cape there are some parts/habitats that are a lot like hunting Ut, Id, Mt and WY. Even there your PH will want you closer than 300 yds if they can.
In the East Cape a few yrs ago my PH located a cull Impala. Had a bad leg. Wanted me to shoot it. He was in the cab and I was in the back of the truck on the seat. He said to shoot. So I ranged it at 425 yds. Set up and took the shot. 7mm w/ 150 gr TTSX. He went perhaps 30 yds. When we found him my PH asked how far. He was surprised. Thought it was only 300 yds.....
The point is the thickness of the bush determines a lot about shooting distances. Bruce

So it seems as though handgunning leaves the hunter at a substantial disadvantage. Or are guys only hunting certain regions with handguns where the shooting is up close? Surely guys aren't taking 100yrd shots regularly with handguns? I do a lot of mid-range handgunning and handgun hunting in the states, but I stick out like a sore thumb for doing so - if guys are doing it regularly over there, then I might need to move over there permanently!

CAustin, thanks for the tip - I'll shoot him a message!

If you stick to the bushveld you'll be fine. Penetration is always the issue when using a handgun, work for a broadside or quartering away shot, the larger the game is the more critical the shot angle is with a handgun cartridge.

I have walked and stalked numerous animals with a bow and i don't shoot further than 50m with it. If you select the correct terrain and have the patience to stalk in on the animal you will not have a problem with a handgun.

I have been hunting with handguns for over 30 years now and have found that penetration is not a problem for most handguns as long as you keep the range within the rounds capabilities. But bullet performance is and most hunters need to do a lot more practice with their handgun with full house hunting loads than they usually do. I have seen handgun hunters that can shoot all day putting their shots into the X ring on a paper target with practice rounds but give them a full house hunting load and for some reason they have a hard time hitting the broad side of a barn. I do know that one factor is recoil but it still amazes me at how bad they shoot with hunting loads.

Took my zebra at 200 yards and my Red Hartebeest at 300, both with T/C Contenders. I have shot deer out past 100 yards with revolvers depending on caliber and rest available. Took a cow elk at 70 yards with an open sighted .475 Linebaugh.

One's comfort level typically depends on how one practices.

It would be interesting if Edward would chime in here on distances he has experienced. He has taken everything from elephant to impala with a pistol. So he can really talk about all the factors including penetration.

It would be interesting if Edward would chime in here on distances he has experienced. He has taken everything from elephant to impala with a pistol. So he can really talk about all the factors including penetration.

I got complete penetration on the zebra (front to back) with a 300 grain FMJ and Hartebeest (broadside through shoulders) with 165 Speer Grand Slams from my .309 JDJ. Recovered the bullet in the elk under the hide of her right shoulder after breaking her left femur. Had I used a cast bullet, I would not have recovered the bullet. The 300 grain .375 FMJ from my .375 JDJ passed completely through my gemsbok while the 260 Freedom Arms JSP suffered a jacket core separation with the jacket staying in the right femur and the core making it to the liver.

I had complete penetration on my Impala with the .309 JDJ with a 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip, the shot was made at 30 yards.

I took a 160 pound doe with a Hornady 200 grain SP out of my .358 JDJ with complete penetration from right shoulder out the left hind quarter.

Cast bullets typically plow through deer regardless of shot presentation.

MS Hitman sounds like you do a lot with hand guns as well. I am amazed at you guys that can get the job done with a pistol because I'm worthless with one unless it's five yards!

MS Hitman sounds like you do a lot with hand guns as well. I am amazed at you guys that can get the job done with a pistol because I'm worthless with one unless it's five yards!

Mostly whitetail deer, but I had the #9 SCI Handgun Eland for a while.

Now that's worth telling!!! #9 is way cool.

PRACTICE,PRACTICE CHARLIE.

i practice about three months straight with the handgun im going to hunt with.i shoot the ammo im hunting with.it gets expensive as in straight case revolvers im using punch bullets.i dont handload,cant teach an old dog new tricks.in my scopesighted single shots im sold on the best ammo i can find.woodliegh hydro stabilized solids are my favorite now.all my practice is done with the same duffel bag i zeroed in with.the duffel goes with me to africa or were ever im hunting. i have no secrets,its all about practice,shot placement,and proper bullet construction.all my practice is done in the field,at different ranges,using baseball sized rocks as targets.oh, i never shoot at a moving target,i always use my duffel bag as my rest,weather off shooting sticks or rocks, anthills,etc.ive been lucky.about the woodliegh,it should be used as a plains game bullet as well as a solid.damage on thin skin game is brutal,penetration on d.g. is through and through,in my experience anyway.these are all my opinions and findings in my hunting experince.

i practice about three months straight with the handgun im going to hunt with.i shoot the ammo im hunting with.it gets expensive as in straight case revolvers im using punch bullets.i dont handload,cant teach an old dog new tricks.

We could have you hand loading rounds in a matter of a couple of hours. Then you can shoot even more for what you are spending on ammo now.

A year ago a friend purchased a .500 S&W along with a a Dillion 550 progressive reloading press. Then once we had that press set up he was punching out ammo as quick as he could pull the handle. The only thing that slowed him down was finding brass, powder, primers, and bullets.

He never had reloaded a round in his life until he bought that pistol

years ago i handloaded,found out as with everything i try to do myself i usually screw it up.i can shoot,drink wine,enjoy my wife as a friend and hunting partner,and face my short comings with out feeling sorry for myself. i cant and wont complain.nothing wrong with todays factory ammo.

As with everything we all need a mentor to show us how to do something! Edward if I had you showing me how to shoot a handgun I could most likely get it right with practice. The thing is that if you keep practicing the wrong way to do something you never get better!

By the way I changed my Avitar

As with everything we all need a mentor to show us how to do something! Edward if I had you showing me how to shoot a handgun I could most likely get it right with practice. The thing is that if you keep practicing the wrong way to do something you never get better!

By the way I changed my Avitar
looking good.

ok charlie,ill meet you behind wal-mart,practice starts right now!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg