Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
i took two of my revolvers, both S&W 38 specials and shot them double action with a two handed hold at 20 yards and shot 12 shots each with S&B wadcutter target ammo. a ww-2 S&W Victory 4" barrel and a S&W model 10-5 with a 2" barrel. they both shot very well and could be used for self defence.

DSCN0751 (2).JPG
DSCN0753 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...….nice shooting!!! I love old Smiths.

Nice shooting. I've been rediscovering the fun of revolver shooting this summer and it has been most enjoyable.

Just love S&W revolvers, had several Mod.14 over the years for competition, and carried a Mod. 66 during several years.

I enjoy the 148 grain wadcutter. 3.3 grains of Titegroup and have a nice day. They make most .38's shoot like a dream. Fine shooting!

That’s nice shooting at 20yds with those revolvers! Especially the two inch!

the sights on the md 10 realy help, the 1/8" front sight blade and square notch rear sight is better for my eyes than the 1/10" blade on the V model.

The 2" guns are very accurate. I have stomped people with them in practical shooting matches with wadcutters and speed loaders. Too much fun. The secret to wadcutter speed loaders is leaving just the right amount of lead exposed and having a perfect crimp.

Ok. It’s unseasonably HOT here with no rain and smoke from fires burning throughout the state AND it’s my day off from work and AH threads/posts have been boring lately. So, when I went through the Sheriffs’ Academy in 1977, I was carrying the issued Smith Model 15 .38 Special. The ammo during the Academy was reloaded 148gr full wadcutters. They reloaded the ammo on site and between the dirty powder and soft lead, it was a real BITCH to keep your gun clean. I would soak my gun (with cylinder removed) in a mason jar with the cylinder in Hoppes #9 overnight. I would get up at 0 Dark Thirty and brush out my gun and then go to the Academy. We shot a 60 round PPC course ( including 12-18 rounds from 50 yds). You could shoot single action from 50 and 6 were from prone and at least 6 were from the barricade strong hand and MAYBE 6 from the weak hand barricade? Then, we he had to shoot 60 rounds from 25 yds in the American Standard Course (ASC). All shots standing over a bench, single action, double action, etc. Each week, we had to turn in five course documents from both the PPC and ASC, which meant we had to shoot on our lunch hour. The ONLY guy who outshot me was using a Colt Python. He shot 300 once. I shot 299 once and a number of 298, 297s, but never a 300. Anyway, the wadcutters were a real pain to reload with speedloaders quickly until time went on and I adjusted to them. This is all about nothing but ancient shooting history, but maybe you’ll find interesting?

Ok. It’s unseasonably HOT here with no rain and smoke from fires burning throughout the state AND it’s my day off from work and AH threads/posts have been boring lately. So, when I went through the Sheriffs’ Academy in 1977, I was carrying the issued Smith Model 15 .38 Special. The ammo during the Academy was reloaded 148gr full wadcutters. They reloaded the ammo on site and between the dirty powder and soft lead, it was a real BITCH to keep your gun clean. I would soak my gun (with cylinder removed) in a mason jar with the cylinder in Hoppes #9 overnight. I would get up at 0 Dark Thirty and brush out my gun and then go to the Academy. We shot a 60 round PPC course ( including 12-18 rounds from 50 yds). You could shoot single action from 50 and 6 were from prone and at least 6 were from the barricade strong hand and MAYBE 6 from the weak hand barricade? Then, we he had to shoot 60 rounds from 25 yds in the American Standard Course (ASC). All shots standing over a bench, single action, double action, etc. Each week, we had to turn in five course documents from both the PPC and ASC, which meant we had to shoot on our lunch hour. The ONLY guy who outshot me was using a Colt Python. He shot 300 once. I shot 299 once and a number of 298, 297s, but never a 300. Anyway, the wadcutters were a real pain to reload with speedloaders quickly until time went on and I adjusted to them. This is all about nothing but ancient shooting history, but maybe you’ll find interesting?

I'm calling shenanigans! Wadcutters are easy to reload. Seat them properly and a good roll crimp and it's alright. Safariland comp threes are the ticket. It's not as fast as fmj, but it isn't painful either. I have one a couple of practical matches with them just being lazy and it was all I had. With a snubnose both times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!