Two Royal Bengal Tigers In One Night

Very enjoyable reading your story and then reading the back and forth conversations. Shotgun vs rifle, rifle vs shotgun. Funny!
Thanks for another exciting episode from your hunting life!

Very enjoyable reading your story and then reading the back and forth conversations. Shotgun vs rifle, rifle vs shotgun. Funny!
Thanks for another exciting episode from your hunting life!
@Ridgewalker
Thank you very much . In short , the answer is a large calibre rifle of at least .450 bore . Employing a 500 grain premium quality soft nosed bullet traveling at a velocity of 2100-2350 feet per second . My personal preference is for a .458 Winchester Magnum , employing a 500 grain Nosler Partition soft nosed factory ft nosed factory load .

Thank you for the great report. Fascinating to read that such hunts happened so recently.

My father was in the Indian Forest Service in South India. He shot 2 tigers with Astra Hammer double SXS shotgun using Lethal Ball and LG, 2.5 inch paper case, in 1952.

Both were cattle killers terrorising villagers.

Thank you for the great report. Fascinating to read that such hunts happened so recently.

My father was in the Indian Forest Service in South India. He shot 2 tigers with Astra Hammer double SXS shotgun using Lethal Ball and LG, 2.5 inch paper case, in 1952.

Both were cattle killers terrorising villagers.
@Vetaikaran
I am honored that you have enjoyed this . As one says , it was the “ End of an era “ . I believe that your courageous father used the Eley Grand Prix 2 1/2 inch lethal ball shell ( discontinued in 1956 ) and the Eley Grand Prix 2 1/2 inch LG shell ( which holds six antimony hardened lead slugs of .36 calibre ) . I used Eley Alphamax 2 3/4 inch LG plastic shells ( which held eight antimony hardened lead slugs of .36 calibre ) . By the time that I began hunting ( 1972 ) , plastic shotgun shells had completely replaced paper shotgun shells .

It is fascinating that your father used to own an Astra 12 bore . Hundreds of Astra 12 bore Imperator Model side by side shotguns were imported into Bangladesh , during the time when it was East Pakistan ( mostly during the 1950s and the 1960s ) . These invariably featured 2 3/4 inch chambers , extractors and 28 inch barrels . The left barrel was fully choked . The right barrel was a modified choke . Many can still be found on the second hand racks of arms shops in Bangladesh , today .

Last edited:
Also late in the reading. But stories like this are timeless. Thank you so much for relating
I also am amazed at closing distance from 150 to a mere 20. Guess they were engrossed in something else

Also late in the reading. But stories like this are timeless. Thank you so much for relating
I also am amazed at closing distance from 150 to a mere 20. Guess they were engrossed in something else
@jacques smith
I am truly honored that you have enjoyed this . Perhaps , this article ( which I have also authored for AH forums ) may be of some interest to you . It details stalking Royal Bengal tigers at night . I refer you to the “ Stalking “ and “ Notes & Observations “ section .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanisIap02

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!