Two members of poaching gang shot dead by South African police

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Two members of a poaching gang are shot dead by South African police and three more arrested after six rhinos were killed in just 24 hours in a wildlife park

• WARNING: DISTRESSING CONTENT
  • Ezemevelo KZN Wildlife rangers ambushed the poaching game early on Sunday
  • Three men were arrested and led them to other members of the poaching gang
  • Two men were shot dead in close-range gunfire and three others are on the run
  • So far this year, 142 rhinos have been killed in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, alone with a confirmed death toll of more than 20 the weekend before last
A South African poaching gang thought to be behind the slaughter of six rhinos in a single day and dozens of others has been smashed after two were shot dead and three others captured by field rangers.

The suspected poachers were mowed down after being ambushed and outgunned in the early hours of Sunday morning in a huge offensive against the gangs devastating wild rhinos in South Africa.

So far this year, 142 rhinos have been killed in KwaZulu-Natal alone with a confirmed death toll of more than 20 the weekend before last.

Six of the rhinos were killed at just one park in less than 24 hours.

4231EB1800000578-4681880-image-a-4_1499691839173.jpg

Three suspected rhino poachers were arrested near two national parks in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. During the arrest, a huting rifle (pictured, an axe and other items were seized

4231EBF400000578-4681880-image-a-5_1499691870499.jpg

The suspected poachers were mowed down after being ambushed and outgunned in the early hours of Sunday morning in a huge offensive against the gangs devastating wild rhinos in South Africa. Pictured above, items seized by the poachers

Ezemevelo KZN Wildlife field rangers had been hunting the gang believed to be behind the massacre when they arrested three heavily armed men outside the park in an armed swoop on Saturday.

They were caught red handed with a high calibre hunting rifle, a silence, ammunition and an axe.

Intelligence gained from the arrests is believed to have led to the shootout on Sunday morning.

South African police arrested men, aged 44, 28 and 24, were interrogated in the bush and then taken to the police station where they were charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition.

The Ezemvelo field rangers then ambushed five more poachers in the Hluhluwe-iMfolozi game park at 3.30am on Sunday while patrolling the Nqolothi section when they heard voices.

4231EA6800000578-4681880-image-a-6_1499691872266.jpg

Two other suspected poachers were later shot dead in close-range gunfire. Pictured above, bullets seized by the suspected poachers

The turned on their flashlights and ordered the poachers to lay down their weapons but when the gang aimed their weapons at them, the rangers opened fire at close range killing two instantly.

The other three poachers fled into the night, and an ongoing security operation with tracker dogs and a helicopter is underway to try and catch them as they try to flee to safety in the dense African bush.

Ezemvelo spokemsan Musa Mntambo told News 24:'Our rangers observed a group of five poachers and turned on their flashlights simultaneously ordering the poachers to lay down their weapons.

'One poacher pointed a gun towards the field rangers but he was outgunned. The rangers fired first and two poachers were fatally wounded and a rifle was recovered. Three managed to escape in the shootout'.

It is understood the dead suspects were from the Melmoth area of KZN and investigators are linking them to the evidence from last Sunday's massacre of six rhinos at the same nature reserve.

Mntambo said: 'This syndicate is known to the police and Ezemvelo authorities'.

420CEF4D00000578-4668188-image-m-20_1499267316849.jpg

Last week saw a heart-breaking photo of an orphaned baby rhino standing next to its dead mother after she was slaughtered for her horn which became the symbol for the weekend massacres

The South African Police Service are convinced the two poaches killed were working together with the three suspects who were arrested in a joint operation between SAPS Rhino 8 and Ezemvelo Field Rangers on Saturday morning near Hluhluwe town.

During this operation, a 458 hunting rifle with nine rounds of ammunition was recovered.

The Acting CEO of Ezemvelo, Mr Sthabiso Chiliza has expressed his appreciation regarding the latest success that the province has had in its fight against rhino poaching.

He said:'It is always a pleasant feeling when you know that the efforts of our Field staff as well as that of the SAPS are bearing fruit.

'Taking out five poachers in less than 24 hours is a huge achievement and I take my hat off to all those who were involved. We shall not relax until we arrest those who escaped as well as their handlers.'

The breakthrough follows a month of rampant poaching and an unprecedented surge of activity by the heavily armed gangs.

In 2017 KZN became increasingly the target of gangs and is currently regarded as the epicentre of South Africa's rhino poaching activity and it is feared they could lose 250 by the end of the year.

There are only 20,000 white rhino left in with 1000 slaughtered every year in South Africa with gangs become increasingly heavily armed to reap rich financial rewards in return for the rhino horn.

The Kruger National Park was previously the main target of poachers but heightened security and initiatives and multiple arrests have driven them to try softer targets.

Screenshot (358).png

Last week saw a heart-breaking photo of an orphaned baby rhino standing next to its dead mother after she was slaughtered for her horn which became the symbol for the weekend massacres.

The picture of the calf was posted on line by anti-poaching campaigners after nine rhinos were killed on one private farm and another six rhinos were killed at the reserve where two men were shot dead.

White rhinos are the second largest land mammal in the world after the elephant and kilo of horn is worth £23,000 (£29,600) – making it more valuable than a kilo of gold at £19,000 ($24,500).

The horn is made from a protein called keratin which is the same substance finger nails and hair are made from.

Rhinos can weight up to 2.5tons, can be six feet tall and run at up to 30mph.

Since 2007 more than 6000 rhinos have been shot and butchered for their horns in South Africa with the majority in the last four years with the butchers board recording 1,000 a year at present.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4681880/Members-poaching-gang-shot-South-African-police.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep up the good work I say!

This is such a sad and disturbing conflict. The fact that two people lost their lives for a handful of hardened hair is just crazy. It's good that enforcement seems to be catching up to the gangs. But, surely implementation of legal and controlled trade would be preferable to this bloodshed. At the end of the day we still have dead rhinos, and two families have lost loved ones.

Reactions: cls
Cause of death:
Corrupt government officials, lax enforcement of international treaties and bans, Asian demand (read CHINA), nil mass media coverage (where's PETA??) and last but not least, the anti-hunting cabal.

Sad.

Seeing that photo of the orphan next to their mother is just sickening and heart breaking. I hope more authorities adopt the "shoot on sight" poacher policy. They should take a good look at the studies done on piracy around the horn with US ships. Though a very short time frame....it took quite a few hijacking attempts and hijackings before the US realized there was a valid market for armed security forces to be dropped on these ships during their journey. There now have been multiple videos surfacing showing security forces across multiple nations 'dealing' with these pirates. I would venture to say these videos reach would be pirates and make them think twice about going back out.

I'm probably babbling just out of frustration. It tears me down to see these great creatures mutilated in such a way.

Should have sent their bodies back where they came from with pictures of that dead Rhino just to send a message...

Some good news, its on the news here in S.A at least once a week that some Rhino poacher has been shot. Looks like we are making some progress but the Rhino's are still being poached every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross