AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Nimrod Rifle Club, DSC, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Wyoming, Kansas, Alaska, Namibia, Botswana, Northern Cape, Alberta, Natal, Zambia
If all goes as planned, my daughter and I will be spending two days in Johannesburg after the Botswana trip in June before returning home.
Afton House, Africa Sky, Airport Hotel? I've stayed one night at the airport hotel on the last trip, it was okay, but this time we want to get out and explore the area a bit and do some tourists stuff.
Thoughts on lodging and tours? I think I contacted Africa Sky, I've lost track, and they wanted to charge each of us per night? I thought a room fee was for the room, regardless if it was one or two people?

I have stayed at the Afton House, it is nice, they do a great job. However, it is in a residential neighborhood, so once you are there, there is nowhere to walk to for restaurants/things to do.

Dee, I have stayed at Africa Sky, it’s close to the airport, they will shuttle you to the train and can sell you some tours. There are no restaurants to walk to and there really is nothing to see in Joburg. You might want to head to Pretoria for your tour. Most folks stay in Sandton. Personally, I would stay at the airport as you can get the train from inside the airport and make to trips to Sandton or Rosebank.

Stay at Africa Sky, it is outstanding. Ask for Gilbert to drive you for the day. He will take you to gun shops, curio shops, restaurants, etc.

I agree. Stay at Africa Sky. You can also book tours with them. Phillip was our tour guide the last time. He was fantastic. A very nice gentleman. Gilbert is great too, but he only drove us to and from the Airport so that's the only experience we had with him. I'll be there again in June, have a few things booked with family that have never been before, so we are duplicating some tours we did a few years ago. The food and service at Africa Sky was superb.

My vote goes to Africa sky too. I’ve stayed at Afton and city lodge but I liked Africa sky best.
One thing you may want to ask Africa sky on the rates, I believe they include all meals in their rate is possibly why you’re thinking a charge per person. Last time I stayed at afton dinner was a separate charge and at city lodge breakfast is a separate charge. I’m sure they’d give you a strictly room rate if you requested it that way.

Whatever you decide to do, please only go with organised tours that pick you up and drop you off. A nice night out would be dinner at Wombles restaurant in Branston. Also try 1920 restaurant in Hyde Park , same area. Stay in or around Sandton if you want to do restaurants, but it will be expensive.

What if we went to Pilanesberg national park for a day, or spent the night? How far away, lodging, etc.?
Is it worth it? We were thinking about the Lion Park or the Cheetah Park near Johannesburg as two stops we'd be interested in. Certainly open to anything. Since we are already halfway around the world, we figure we ought to get in a couple of days of sightseeing.
What about some fishing? We have a PH friend near Pokowane that wants us to stay with him and do a warthog hunt, but my daughter is balking at the long 5-hour drive up there and back.

Last edited:
While I have a gun safe full of guns and plan on buying more, I mainly hunt with a bow, as does my daughter. It makes traveling easier for us and we just prefer to shoot stuff at spitting distance. :cool:
I have reservations with Arica Sky but want to explore our options. I have reached out to another PH that is not too far from Johannesburg to see what he can help us with for those days.

If you can, try and visit one of the Safari and Outdoor stores in either Joburg or Pretoria- really cool stuff for the hunter and free coffee last time I was there. Uber’s in JHB are a very good way of getting around.

If you can, try and visit one of the Safari and Outdoor stores in either Joburg or Pretoria- really cool stuff for the hunter and free coffee last time I was there. Uber’s in JHB are a very good way of getting around.

Agreed, excellent store. No need for Uber, if you arrange in advance Africa Sky will take you wherever you want to go.

Dee,

I would consider Afton House. Have stayed their several times. They will pick you up and return you to the airport. Good breakfast and evening meals. I would contact and ask them for recommendations for tours, travel arrangements, etc. As you know, safety is a priority in Joburg.

I like the lost city. Its the same resort from the adam sandler movie. Its like a vegas in africa.
But the golf is great ! Just watch out for the crocs, a real water hazzard !
Its close to the pilanesberg safari tours, basically across the street. And its 3hrs from joberg air port. There is plenty of activities in that area, far more than u will do in 2 days !

I’ve stayed at Africa Sky twice. Great people and food. The meet and greet at the airport was great. The driver knew all the people at SAP’s and got my guns picked up in no time. Departing RSA, he was equally helpful.

Africa Sky all three times have been very pleasant. Afton sky high marks as well....few struggles with mgt change. However, overall. Historically, both safe choices

Wife and I will be staying @ AfricaSky for the 4th time this June! Actually twice in June...mid-point of 21 day trip and before we head home.
We will be arriving there from Botswana on June 17th and departing Johannesburg on the 20th. Maybe our paths will cross?

L
We will be arriving there from Botswana on June 17th and departing Johannesburg on the 20th. Maybe our paths will cross?
Looking forward to reading your report and finding out how JHB was. I’m curious to know if the Johannesburg crime is as bad as it is in New Orleans or not. Just wondering because I’m planning and it seems I may have a layover there both ways. The safari store sounds like a must for myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg