TV star hunts livestock

Found this link that says the Jim Shockey show originally aired August 25, 2013

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/jim-shockeys-hunting-adventures/episode-22557717/346690/

The biggest target for the anti-hunters to bring down is Jim Shockey. It is amazing what a good video editor and sound guy can make you think you see on video. Especially if you don't know what you are looking at. This smells.

It appears that the video can't be streamed at this time.
Wish I could see it.

Reactions: cls
Have you actually seen the show in which Jim Shockey actually hunts and kills a reindeer in Sweden. I have not seen the show. It seems you are very intent on portraying Jim in a poor light. .............

What a difference the audience and culture makes. Someone who has just viewed a show that was videoed in their own country where it is common knowledge that Reindeer are not considered to be huntable.

As you noted, good editing makes the story. Without the local knowledge we can be spoon fed any story.

I have no idea how it was portrayed in the video. If the editing conjured some magical story of an epic wilderness hunt, then I sure have some ethics concerns. Otherwise, its some version of the old CBL debate.

I don't see ill intent from the OP, just a concern about an advocates story.

I don't like the title though, just comes across wrong.

Thread, cannot see the whole video just the short clip with the moose.

For that, I'll revert to post #23

Wut da hell? You must be confusing me with @Wheels !

I may be old enough to know about Eddie Haskell but we didn’t have tv out of the country back then. I think I have only seen a couple reruns.

So, he really was talking about you!:sneaky:

That is Jim Shockey, and he is hunting, but he not hunting livestock - reindeer or otherwise. The animal does have both antlers and four legs, but the ungulate Jim shot was definitely a European Elk - or as we call it in North America - a moose. Absolutely legal, and with a dog, a very traditional hunt in Sweden.

As you say, the anti-hunting influence is indeed on the increase. Informing ourselves before slandering another hunter is a good way to combat it.

European Elk are Red Deer, Moose are Moose

I may be old enough to know about Eddie Haskell but we didn’t have tv out of the country back then. I think I have only seen a couple reruns.

So, he really was talking about you!:sneaky:

Heck, guys, some of us can remember Chief Thunderthud and Princess Sumerfallwinterspring

Does seem like Phil....

Honestly, I wish the site had kept the ban. Shockey is probably the most conservation minded and important figurehead of the hunting industry. He has promoted conservation all over the world, and has continually hunted in and filmed places that no one else would attempt. To accuse or slander him based on the title of a clip for an upcoming show, is ludicrous.

He has on many occasions, gone and filmed far away cultures in their pursuit of game. Two instances I watched, were Inuit polar bear hunts and Inuit whale hunts. He did not participate in the actual kill, but he brought the way of life to the rest of us. How could you possible know whether that was the case here?

Maybe he does shoot one on a string, maybe not, but posting up crap like this is just more juice for the antis.

It just recently aired over here (this autumn) on the Outdoor Channel. This channel is not something the general public can view but rather part of a add-on package from one of the cable TV providers. ............

Did you get to view the entire show?

European Elk are Red Deer, Moose are Moose
No, actually you are wrong. I preface this by saying I lived and hunted in Europe for five years and have hunted there somewhat often since. Surprised you didn't pick up on the names on one of your trips there. The "elk" in Europe refers to the Scandinavian Moose. The red stag is the red stag. Yes it is related to the American "elk." But the name "elk" in Europe refers to what we in North America call a moose. You might try Wikipedia - it is a great resource. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moo To be precise, the American elk isn't an elk at all - it's a Wapiti.

Last edited:
I feel that Jim Shocky and Steve Scott have the best shows . Now some of the others I may question. I feel they have put hunters in a good light. Guys keep up the good work.

As I stated, I realize that the reindeer are domesticated. And I see your point. At the same time, outside of Sweden, many won't think of the reindeer as cattle or hogs. The point that Jim may make in the episode is that the Sami people have kept a reindeer population alive and what seems well in Sweden, to me that's conservation. And to that extent and the work it involves, the Sami people have made a business out of it. And thus sustainable use conservation.

Yes, that may be a stretch. But again I'll refrain from forming any firm conclusions or opinions about this until I've at least seen the show. That seems fair and reasonable.

Ironically over on the other forum there is a thread going on right now about a large elephant that was taken in Zimbabwe. The elephant had been collared and under study. But the bull had wandered out of the national park it had been residing in and into a hunting area and was taken by a Russian hunter. The whole situation could blow up into another Cecil episode. This fueled in fact by other hunters immediately criticizing the PH based on little knowledge and some incorrect information. So once again we have a situation of hunters turning on other hunters without actually having the facts. And now that those facts have been brought to light, those attacking the PH look pretty foolish.

I prefer not to jump to hasty conclusions generally speaking, but especially when it comes to one of our own, whether it be Jim Shockey or a Swedish gentleman on AH that I've never met. And I sure don't want to make a fool of myself knowing that there may be more to the story.
I started a thread one day ago, subject posting certain photos having a negative effect on our sport. The elephant photo is what I was referring to, but did not want to specifically mention.This ele is fantastic, to the best of my knowledge this was a legal, ethical hunt, conducted by a ethical PH. Due to the fact that photo was posted on Facebook watch out. Again fantastic elephant, congratulations!

No, actually you are wrong. I preface this by saying I lived and hunted in Europe for five years and have hunted there somewhat often since. Surprised you didn't pick up on the names on one of your trips there. The "elk" in Europe refers to the Scandinavian Moose. The red stag is the red stag. Yes it is related to the American "elk." But the name "elk" in Europe refers to what we in North America call a moose. You might try Wikipedia - it is a great resource. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moo To be precise, the American elk isn't an elk at all - it's a Wapiti.

I also lived and hunted in Europe for 5 years and I never heard heard a single hunter refer to a Moose as "Elk" I hunted with many Germans who hunted in Scandinavia and many Swedes/Norwegians they all called Moose "Moose"

North American Elk are called either Elk or Wapiti, both names are correct

I also lived and hunted in Europe for 5 years and I never heard heard a single hunter refer to a Moose as "Elk" I hunted with many Germans who hunted in Scandinavia and many Swedes/Norwegians they all called Moose "Moose"

I can’t change the facts. Out of curiosity, did any of your hunting companions have an “elchhund “? They are common in Scandinavia. They aren’t used to chase and hold red stag. I speak German, almost fluently. The German word for “moose” is “Elch”. You can also look that up yourself. And I can use the Jaeger Sprache Lexicon as well as most. There is no “moose” in it. Just saying. I would suspect your guides were using moose out of courtesy to an American hunter.

Last edited:

A bit of deductive reasoning is also useful.

1) I think we would both agree with the fact that Indo-European peoples have inhabited Northern Europe for many thousands of years.
2) I think we would also both agree that many of those people are of the Germanic linguistic group (apologies to the Sami, Finns, and Rus) and these people occupied part of Scandinavia which is a native environment of the animal we in North America call a "moose".
3) We know that these people hunted this animal for many thousands of years, and that the modern antecedents of their current languages began to emerge at least by the time of Julius Caesar.
4) I think we can both agree these Germanic peoples had a name for the large palmated antlered deer they hunted.
5) It is well established that the linguistic derivation of the word "moose" comes from the Algonquian group (the smarter members of the class can see where this is headed and are excused to recess). The Algonquian peoples are a native American culture who were found across the modern day northern US and much of Eastern Canada.
6) Earliest meaningful contact with the Algonquin peoples occurred 350-400 years ago. The first reference to the term "moose" in English is found correspondence of the early 17th century.
7) Either northern Europeans called the large deer they hunted "the animal with no name" for many tens of centuries awaiting the discovery of the new world, or they called it something in their own languages.

In German the word is "Elch". In Norwegian it is "Elg". In Swedish it is "Alg" with an umlaut on the "a". (Do we see a Germanic pattern?) The Finns, a non-Germanic people, call it a "Hirvi". I see you have hunted in Poland - they call it a "Los".

No one is entirely sure how English speakers first started using the term "elk" for wapiti. A general consensus that makes sense to me is that early English colonists quickly encountered Eastern woodland wapiti, knew it wasn't exactly a red stag, and so named it after the only other large deer of which they had ever heard - the "Elk" which is the anglicized form of Elch or Elg. When they eventually did encounter the real Elk, that name was taken in the vernacular, and so the native American name "moose" was adopted.

And yes, it is perfectly alright to call cervus canadinsis either an elk or a wapiti in North America. Many prefer wapiti so as not to confuse it with the European elk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.