hawkeyesatx

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member NRA, Life Member DAV
Hunted
Coyote, Deer, Elk, Moose
I was wondering what would be the best and most cost effective way to turn my rifle that’s .30-06 into a .35 Whelen? And how do I go about doing that?
What are your opinions? Thank you already in advance for your suggestions and expertise.

Hawk
IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

Take said rifle to gunsmith. Have gunsmith rebarrel rifle to .35 whelen. Pay gunsmith. Take possession of said rifle. Go shooting. It’s a simple task for a gunsmith with proper tools and knowledge. A royal pain trying to do it yourself if you don’t have the tools of knowledge.

One of my good friends said to ship it off to JES to rebore it to .35 cal!
Is that as expensive as a barrel swap?
I’m new to project rifles, so please bear with me .

Hawk

The JES rebore is likely less expensive than a rebarrel and will work just fine. If you are looking for something with more custom options i.e stainless barrel, heavier or longer barrel, fluting or threading, ect...then a rebarrel may be the way to go.

Rifle projects are fun

Not sure on cost difference, new barrels run $200.00 plus or minus depending on where you procure them. Usual gunsmith labor for rebarrel and head space run about 65.00 more or less around here. More if sights are installed, about $25.00 a threaded hole. On rebore a lot depends on how much meat will be left on the barrel if it can be done or not.

Depending on what sort of barrel you want, the costs could be roughly the same.. or could be considerably more for either option...

The JES option is $250...

You can pick up a decent 35 Whelen Barrel for as little as $100 (I paid $92 for my 98 Mauser barrel in 35 Whelen from Midway a few years back).. and if you have the right tools (barrel wrench, a decent vise, etc)... you can swap the barrels out yourself.. then rent a reamer to finish the chamber (about $50 to rent one).. and youre done.. This is what I did.. and I was able to turn a 8x57 into a 35 Whelen for less than $150 and less than 1 hour of my time.. (cheaper than the JES option.. and I enjoyed the process and the DIY project.. its a lot easier to do than you might think...)..

You can just as easily spend $700 or more rebarreling.. if youre wanting something like a Shilen or Douglass Air Gauged barrel.. youre going to pay for it.. and depending on what gunsmith you hire, you could be looking at $65 for an hour of their time.. up to $200 or more.. and then youre still going to need a finish put on it which could run you anywhere from $60-$200 depending on what you want to do..

A happy medium in terms of cost/quality might be to go with something like an ER Shaw Barrel.. you can get a barrel from them that is threaded and in a standard Rem profile, with a short chamber for $220.. They'll do the fit, install, and finish the chamber for you for $130.. Shaw will also finish your barrel for you (blued) for an additional $130.. which would put your total at about $480..

Im in the middle of a Sportsman 78 .30-06 to 35 Whelen conversion right now.
Overall very easy. You can either send it to JES for a rebore or go with a new barrel. I chose the new barrel route. My gunsmith had unexpected health issues crop up or it would be done now. Most of the metal work is done... But not quite all. I'm waiting for a stock to be returned from Richards Microfit. Any day now.

I was wondering what would be the best and most cost effective way to turn my rifle that’s .30-06 into a .35 Whelen? And how do I go about doing that?
What are your opinions? Thank you already in advance for your suggestions and expertise.

HawkView attachment 407056
View attachment 407057
@hawkeyesatx
@hunting Gold is doing the same conversion at the moment. He went with a new barrel but JES offer a reboring service that is supposed to be good as well.
Have a look at the post by @hunting Gold called Bob Nelson convinced me I need Whelen.
Bob

If you want it any time soon JES is your best bet. His turn around times are nothing short of remarkable most of the time. If you want to rebarrel, plan on waiting a spell unless you have good luck finding a barrel in stock and a smith that isn’t overwhelmed. The SAAMI throat is really long but will be fine in a Remington due to the generous magazine box length.

I never specified a throat length. I've shot 3 factory loads so far 180 TTSX Vortex, Hornaday 200 grain Superformance and the Nosler 225 Accubond. All group 1/2 MOA or less at 100 yards
I also went with a 10 twist

Did you do the 3 groove?
Did they recrown your barrel as well?

That’s amazing accuracy!
Can’t ask for more than that!

Hawk

I never specified a throat length. I've shot 3 factory loads so far 180 TTSX Vortex, Hornaday 200 grain Superformance and the Nosler 225 Accubond. All group 1/2 MOA or less at 100 yards
I also went with a 10 twist
@jwp475
How come you chose a 1 in 10 twist.
I went the 1 in 12 which is more than enough to stabilise even the heavy 310 grain.
Bob

@jwp475
How come you chose a 1 in 10 twist.
I went the 1 in 12 which is more than enough to stabilise even the heavy 310 grain.
Bob

No downside to more twist and some believe that more twist aids expansion. Another reason is the 35 caliber has been over looked as for high BC bullets. I think that before long the high BC bullets will be available in 35 caliber and if that happens 35's will eclipse 338s.

Last edited:
He must have forgot the 3, LOL. I have the same in my JES 03 Springfield, with 1-14 twist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you